Original post by kka25
24/11/15
70-min run

25/11/15
70-min run

26/11/15
70-min run

:biggrin:

Can I have whatever you're taking please?
Hi everyone!

I am going to be running my first ever half-marathon in Coventry in February next year! I am so nervous and I am beginning to hit a plateau with my training; luckily I am running for Bloodwise https://bloodwise.org.uk/event-challenges/run/coventry-half-marathon, a charity which is very close to my heart after a friend of mine was diagnosed with leukaemia. At the moment she is the only thing getting me through but I am beginning to get serious doubts as to whether or not I will be able to even finish it. I managed to find myself a half-marathon training programme on Runners World http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/half-marathon-training-plans but if anyone else could offer me some advice then that would be amazing.

Thanks so much!!

Nat
xx
I think I've developed some sort of stiffness in my left thigh (only) after all this running/jogging. Any ideas how I can get rid of it?

Original post by Martinnathalie9
Hi everyone!I am going to be running my first ever half-marathon in Coventry in February next year! I am so nervous and I am beginning to hit a plateau with my training; luckily I am running for Bloodwise https://bloodwise.org.uk/event-challenges/run/coventry-half-marathon, a charity which is very close to my heart after a friend of mine was diagnosed with leukaemia. At the moment she is the only thing getting me through but I am beginning to get serious doubts as to whether or not I will be able to even finish it. I managed to find myself a half-marathon training programme on Runners World http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/half-marathon-training-plans but if anyone else could offer me some advice then that would be amazing.Thanks so much!!Natxx

good luck. I recently downloaded this app called "Nike+ running" whic has it's own 5k/10k / half marathon training program.

I find it quite useful for post-run analysis since it calculates your average speed, time take to cover a km/mile, map of the field you ran... Etc. Give it a shot.
Original post by DiceTheSlice
I think I've developed some sort of stiffness in my left thigh (only) after all this running/jogging. Any ideas how I can get rid of it?

Where abouts on your leg exactly? I'd just stretch the muscles, and foam roll them if you have a foam roller or tennis ball.
Reply 564
70-min run.

Was running on my usual footpath and bam! Got hit by a motorbike from behind : /

Safe to say I wasn't a happy camper when the guy stopped his bike to check if I'm "OK".
Original post by kka25
Was running on my usual footpath and bam! Got hit by a motorbike from behind : /

:mute:
Reply 566
Original post by TooEasy123
:mute:

:pinch:

Was a yoot who rode it. Was very apologetic about it (and his yoot way).
Original post by kka25
70-min run.

Safe to say I wasn't a happy camper when the guy stopped his bike to check if I'm "OK".

Standard procedure

I asked you this a while back, but do you have any idea on the mileage you're covering over 70 minutes?

Is it a fast pace or moderate etc?
Reply 568
Original post by zKlown
Standard procedure

I asked you this a while back, but do you have any idea on the mileage you're covering over 70 minutes?

Is it a fast pace or moderate etc?

No, not really. At the moment I dont really target the distance.

There are moments where I'd run very fast (some sort of a random spike of energy) but this is just within a span of a minute (max 2 if I've the momentum), and then my speed will start declining rapidly; my heart rate monitor would give a reading of >= 90 once I reached this speed, max is 100) Afterwards, it's just a moderate running speed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kka25
No, not really. At the moment I dont really target the distance.

There are moments where I'd run very fast (some sort of a random spike of energy) but this is just within a span of a minute (max 2 if I've the momentum), and then my speed will start declining rapidly; my heart rate monitor would give a reading of >= 90 once I reached this speed, max is 100) Afterwards, it's just a moderate running speed.

I see

It's just I run 60/70 minutes couple of days a week and I find it relatively easy, covering 6/7 miles at a moderate pace (for me).
Reply 570
Original post by zKlown
I see

It's just I run 60/70 minutes couple of days a week and I find it relatively easy, covering 6/7 miles at a moderate pace (for me).

Back in 2012-13, I'd probably say the same :wink:
Original post by TooEasy123
Where abouts on your leg exactly? I'd just stretch the muscles, and foam roll them if you have a foam roller or tennis ball.

It's right in the middle of my left thigh. I'll try that foam roll stuff. Do you think it will go if left unattended?
Funny read: http://www.cracked.com/article_19186_the-5-most-terrifying-side-effects-exercise.html

Apparently to much of running / swimming / cycling can cause

1) Bowel Irregularities
2) Sweat Sweat sweat
3) Smaller penis / brittle bones
4) Bloody nipples

the bloody nipples is quite scary :confused:
Anyone suffered something like that before?
Funny read: http://www.cracked.com/article_19186_the-5-most-terrifying-side-effects-exercise.html

Apparently to much of running / swimming / cycling can cause

1) Bowel Irregularities
2) Sweat Sweat sweat
3) Smaller penis / brittle bones
4) Bloody nipples

the bloody nipples is quite scary :confused:
Anyone suffered something like that before?

The bloody nipples is to do with your shirt rubbing against your nipples. I seem to remember a male club mate asking where to get a sports bra. :lol:
Original post by OU Student
The bloody nipples is to do with your shirt rubbing against your nipples. I seem to remember a male club mate asking where to get a sports bra. :lol:

Surely you'd be better off with those little stick on flower things that nursing mums use?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by myblueheaven339
Surely you'd be better off with those little stick on flower things that nursing mums use?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can get nipple guards or something.
Original post by OU Student

Does this happen to only experienced runners? Frankly I'm reluctant to move my chest for whatever reason... Don't want the nipples unnecessarily rubbing against the fabric you know...

Maybe I should stop wearing loose tees? Ugh...
Does this happen to only experienced runners? Frankly I'm reluctant to move my chest for whatever reason... Don't want the nipples unnecessarily rubbing against the fabric you know...

Maybe I should stop wearing loose tees? Ugh...

Maybe get some cheap technical tees?

That said I run a lot of my short runs in normal old loose tops and have never had any issue with my nips.
Horrific first long run of training today. 10 miles in 1:30, had to stop a couple of times too.

Hopefully it's just because it's my first week of structured running in a while.
Good threshold run in the rain/wind+"hill" today. ~21mins at 6:45 per mile. Went through 5km in 20:58 according to Strava, technically a PB though not really as I haven't done a race/time trial since end of August.

Jack Daniels' VDOT Running Calculator is indicating all of my training paces (easy,marathon,threshold) are equivalent to a high 19min something for 5km which is a nice confidence boost going forward. :smile:

Gonna base build to March then might do some races!

Original post by Use Err Name
Horrific first long run of training today. 10 miles in 1:30, had to stop a couple of times too.

Hopefully it's just because it's my first week of structured running in a while.

We all have those days. Counter-intuitively, I seem to get them after I've had more than 1 day off in a row, even though you'd expect I'd be nice and fresh. Maybe could've happened to you too?

Quick Reply

Latest