The Student Room Group

The Running Thread Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Hmmm the roads and paths have iced over. What would you guys recommend? Worth trying or will end badly?
Reply 141
Original post by Genocidal
Hmmm the roads and paths have iced over. What would you guys recommend? Worth trying or will end badly?

Find some grass or get the 14 mils out
Original post by Macky16
Ràn 34:15 for ten k .... So buzzing for running ATM .... More people need to do it ... I understand it hurst at first but when you get into it it just feels so good .... Really hoping I can stay injury free

That's insane, well done! That would be my 6K time on a very good day! Any tips for increasing the pace and getting the time down?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Macky16

Sadly all the grass near me is populated with cows, horses, and aggressive sheep. And since I'm not Welsh this will not serve!

But the ice melted today so I was able to run fine. Still got my feet all bloody and blistery, but it was fun.

But what are 14 mils?
Reply 144
Sadly all the grass near me is populated with cows, horses, and aggressive sheep. And since I'm not Welsh this will not serve!

But the ice melted today so I was able to run fine. Still got my feet all bloody and blistery, but it was fun.

But what are 14 mils?

Spikes 14 mm in length
Reply 145
Original post by hermitthefrog
That's insane, well done! That would be my 6K time on a very good day! Any tips for increasing the pace and getting the time down?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Run more, dont just go on long single paced runs but do a few "sessions" each week..... e.g. 5x1 mile with 2 minutes jogging/walking in between each mile
Original post by Macky16
Spikes 14 mm in length

Aha! I've never worn spikes before, or even considered them. Just conventional running shoes usually.
Really fed up now. Got in London and due to some pretty serious health issues, will have to defer. My coach can't seem to understand this. My health comes first ffs.

No amount of "I won't be doing it because I'm too ill" works. He can't seem to understand that I have serious health issues that need to be stabilised before I even consider the training. He's just told he sorted out a training plan, which is six days a week and is getting some people to run with me. That was after I told him I am deferring because of my health.
I'm now a proper runner, having gone sub 25 minutes on my last parkrun of the year! Knocked 45 seconds off exactly, so it's now 24:58 :biggrin:

Can't believe how much I've taken off my time recently - the last month alone I've shaved 1:15 off!
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
I'm now a proper runner, having gone sub 25 minutes on my last parkrun of the year! Knocked 45 seconds off exactly, so it's now 24:58 :biggrin:

Can't believe how much I've taken off my time recently - the last month alone I've shaved 1:15 off!

Great job! I'm looking to do a parkrun some time next year, probably in spring. I want my "debut" run to be as fast as possible though. :tongue:
My coach is going to hate me and I couldn't care less:

There are 8 of us in the club, including him and I. I've been there for 2 years. In the first year, I just did a few races and this year, I was put under a lot of pressure to do a lot of races. No thought from him about me and what I want to do. He's not happy that I can't do Wednesday because I go to a ukulele club then, ( do apologise for having a life elsewhere :rolleyes: ) He doesn't encourage anyone else apart from another guy to race. With everyone else, he doesn't bother asking.

I stupidly let it slip that I'd got into London and told him last week I was deferring because I'm not ok health wise. (winter doesn't help me at all) To which he replies "you're training 6 days a week". Er, am I really? I've talked to other runners who have told me I'm stupid for going from running 3 days a week to running 6 days a week in such a quick time. I know that from experience, overtraining / increasing too quickly = injuries.

There's me and another female there. He has this strange obsession with finding me a female training partner. Gender doesn't bother me at all. My running partner is male and so are most of my friends.

He seems to think that my life revolves around running. He wasn't happy that I was thinking about leaving because I've had problems with two members from the club, one of whom I'm refusing to talk to. (he then tried to defend him:mad: )

Earlier this year, I was asked if I could race on Saturday evening and I said I was planning on doing a gig with my ukulele club (this is a rare event for me - my club is quite far away and I don't drive) which my coach wasn't happy with.

I've mentioned at least once that I don't feel that club benefits me much and he argued that it's because of club that I've done more races blah blah blah. Um, we were encouraged to do races at my first club, which I only left because it was two buses there and two buses back.
Original post by OU Student
My coach is going to hate me and I couldn't care less:

There are 8 of us in the club, including him and I. I've been there for 2 years. In the first year, I just did a few races and this year, I was put under a lot of pressure to do a lot of races. No thought from him about me and what I want to do. He's not happy that I can't do Wednesday because I go to a ukulele club then, ( do apologise for having a life elsewhere :rolleyes: ) He doesn't encourage anyone else apart from another guy to race. With everyone else, he doesn't bother asking.

I stupidly let it slip that I'd got into London and told him last week I was deferring because I'm not ok health wise. (winter doesn't help me at all) To which he replies "you're training 6 days a week". Er, am I really? I've talked to other runners who have told me I'm stupid for going from running 3 days a week to running 6 days a week in such a quick time. I know that from experience, overtraining / increasing too quickly = injuries.

There's me and another female there. He has this strange obsession with finding me a female training partner. Gender doesn't bother me at all. My running partner is male and so are most of my friends.

He seems to think that my life revolves around running. He wasn't happy that I was thinking about leaving because I've had problems with two members from the club, one of whom I'm refusing to talk to. (he then tried to defend him:mad: )

Earlier this year, I was asked if I could race on Saturday evening and I said I was planning on doing a gig with my ukulele club (this is a rare event for me - my club is quite far away and I don't drive) which my coach wasn't happy with.

I've mentioned at least once that I don't feel that club benefits me much and he argued that it's because of club that I've done more races blah blah blah. Um, we were encouraged to do races at my first club, which I only left because it was two buses there and two buses back.

Why are you even putting yourself through this?

Just quit. The club is obviously not benefitting you any longer and you don't really like the coach either way. Just go and don't look back. You can train by yourself and enter races by yourself, if you can't find aother club, can't you?
Why are you even putting yourself through this?

Just quit. The club is obviously not benefitting you any longer and you don't really like the coach either way. Just go and don't look back. You can train by yourself and enter races by yourself, if you can't find aother club, can't you?

I've now left. Probably going to get moaned at like he did last time when I told him I wasn't happy.

Has anyone done the Taunton half marathon?
Original post by Macky16

Someone loves the XC!

County championships next week. Pumped.
Planning my 2015 this afternoon. I'm really interested in giving triathlon a try, so am considering not doing a spring marathon this year. Didn't get into London so was planning on doing Edinburgh, but I'm thinking of entering a couple of half marathons and trying some sprint/olympic tris over the summer.

So far will be entering the Worcester half. Trying to find another good half around May time. The aim is to get sub 1.45 for once!

Anyone know of any good late-summer/autumn marathons to do?
Reply 155
Original post by rockrunride
Someone loves the XC!

County championships next week. Pumped.

yeye me too ... where are you running ?
Got on a bus in central Oxford today. As I got on the driver, who I've never seen before in my life, looked shocked, kind of offended:

"Why are you getting on the bus?"
"...?"
"Why aren't you running. You're always running"

So this is what being a celebrity feels like.
Original post by Macky16
yeye me too ... where are you running ?

Middlesex. Think my club (Highgate) have a big chance of snaring the senior men's title.

How about you?
Hey guys,
I am an absolute beginner to running. Any recommendation for trainers plz? I am looking for something < £50. Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by diracdeltafunc
Hey guys,
I am an absolute beginner to running. Any recommendation for trainers plz? I am looking for something < £50. Thanks!

Something comfortable that fits and doesn't give you blisters. And ignore the brand. I've personally run in Addidas, Nike, New Balance, Asics and Brooks. New Balance being the best and the cheapest; but couldn't get that model again. :frown: Asics didn't last me long at all and the sizing on Brooks was a pain for me - 4 was a tad too snug and the 4.5 was too big.

Quick Reply

Latest