The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Applicants 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by acrosticmcgee
Don't give up yet. I waited four months for law and got an offer yesterday. Who knows what Monday might hold?

what were the conditions if I may ask?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Hey everyone, is it me or did they mainly reject people yesterday? Does this mean that all the offers will come on monday?

Any chance that we'll hear back today? :crossedf: so much stresssssss :shot:
Original post by orphan_black
what were the conditions if I may ask?

Well, mine was very basic because I'm an older student getting back into education: a B in the graded unit of my HNC Legal Studies.

With regard to your own situation, may I strongly recommend you do what I do which is to send the Law admissions team an email simply asking them whether there has been any delay or miscommunication in your application. Remind them that Edinburgh is your first choice and that you have been waiting a long time.

The email address is:

the HSS undergraduate admissions office
[email protected]
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Capricorn16
x

This is all very true, however on March 20th I was rejected from York - I sent my application on the 14th October last year so there is still room for that. Very cruel indeed. You will definitely be in a maybe pile, as they have not sent a straight rejection. I don't know how their admissions process works as I received my offer from Edinburgh in November, which was very quick, and I was quite surprised as each year they tend to be one of the latest to give out their offers. But I hope you get the offer! Good luck.
Well, mine was very basic because I'm an older student getting back into education: a B in the graded unit of my HNC Legal Studies.

With regard to your own situation, may I strongly recommend you do what I do which is to send the Law admissions team an email simply asking them whether there has been any delay or miscommunication in your application. Remind them that Edinburgh is your first choice and that you have been waiting a long time.

The email address is:

the HSS undergraduate admissions office
[email protected]

Oh okay! And yeah I was thinking of sending them an email but I didn't want to "annoy" them and lower my chances of getting an offer but I might now actually!
I've sent them an email! Fingers crossed I hear something back!

Good luck :biggrin: . Don't forget to tell us what they said :P

Good luck. And you had every right to send them that email. It's only courtesy that they should have responded to you by now.
Reply 2588
Original post by senorchang
What I did was send a very polite email to one of the admissions tutor of Law School mentioning that the cut-off period of 31st March was fast approaching and just enquiring if my application had somehow been 'delayed' or 'mislaid'. Next day - today - I got an offer back. I also mentioned in my email how much I wanted to go to Edinburgh, how I want that it was my first choice - that may (or may not have helped). Good luck.

Did you submit an online enquiry form or did you manage to find the contact details of a specific admissions tutor?
I'm debating whether to send a similar-sounding email to the Psychology department, but I'm not sure what to say... Well done on your offer!! :smile:
Hi guys, since you are more expert than me in this field, I have to ask you a question. One friend of mine applied to Edinburgh for 4 different courses a very very short time before the deadline, and he is still waiting from all of them. I don't know exactly if he managed to send applications in time, but shouldn't he express his preferences given that he made 4 applications at the same department? Let me know! It's just that he decided to apply the day before the deadline, and it would be shocking if he received an offer and I didn't (I started ucas in September gosh :frown: )

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by harry-s
Good luck :biggrin: . Don't forget to tell us what they said :P

Good luck. And you had every right to send them that email. It's only courtesy that they should have responded to you by now.

Thanks guys! :-)
Original post by Cosimo96
Hi guys, since you are more expert than me in this field, I have to ask you a question. One friend of mine applied to Edinburgh for 4 different courses a very very short time before the deadline, and he is still waiting from all of them. I don't know exactly if he managed to send applications in time, but shouldn't he express his preferences given that he made 4 applications at the same department? Let me know! It's just that he decided to apply the day before the deadline, and it would be shocking if he received an offer and I didn't (I started ucas in September gosh :frown: )

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think the application date matter that much. It's about your personal statement, your grades and your reference. My advice: try not to compare yourself to your friend but rather see yourself as an individual applicant. There are many people who applied as soon as UCAS opened their system and there are many who sent their application on the 15th of January as well. I applied on the last day and still received 4 offers and waiting for one (Edinburgh) more. Good luck!!
Original post by Capricorn16
To be honest, if our applications have been considered by now (which I dearly hope that they have), then I feel that if we didn't meet the criteria for entry we'd have been rejected by now. It seems pointless and borderline cruel to withhold their decision if its a rejection. A mon avis, there are a couple of things which could be going on:

1 - They're releasing offers in blocks, so that they Applicants days are not too crowded for those who hold unconditional offers, and so that they have a better chance of convincing them to study at Edinburgh. (Thanks to Lautje96 for pointing this possibility out to me!)

2 - They're waiting to gauge the initial response to the offers that have already been made, and will make offers to the rest of us accordingly. This could mean the difference between Conditional and Unconditional, depending on how many people Firm their Edinburgh offer. In other words, we're in a sort of 'maybe' pile.

3 - Edinburgh are genuinely extremely slow at responding, and have simply not reached our response date yet. I feel this is unlikely however, as other have posted about receiving offers for the vast majority of subjects.

That's my accumulated 2 cents worth on the matter, after over a week of panic about an offer which has yet to arrive. Bottom line: If we were going to be rejected, surely to God they'd have done it by now!

This actually makes me feel eminently better, let's all treat this as gospel to get us through the weekend :biggrin:
Yeah you are right! But you should admit that if someone, who decided to start his application just the day before the deadline and it is even the work of a native language professor, gets an offer but you don't... well, that would be a nuisance! :wink: However let's keep crossing what can be crossed. The waiting is almost over for luck
Original post by Hildegardium
I don't think the application date matter that much. It's about your personal statement, your grades and your reference. My advice: try not to compare yourself to your friend but rather see yourself as an individual applicant. There are many people who applied as soon as UCAS opened their system and there are many who sent their application on the 15th of January as well. I applied on the last day and still received 4 offers and waiting for one (Edinburgh) more. Good luck!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Cosimo96
Yeah you are right! But you should admit that if someone, who decided to start his application just the day before the deadline and it is even the work of a native language professor, gets an offer but you don't... well, that would be a nuisance! :wink: However let's keep crossing what can be crossed. The waiting is almost over for luck

When they put their application in is of no relevance. You should not start judging others and their applications and feeling you have more "right" to a place. If some one else gets a place and you don't -wish them luck and don't begrudge them it. Why would it be a nuisance?

Good Luck with your application I hope you hear good news soon- but concentrate on that not judging others applications

I have no idea what you mean about the native language professor:confused:
Original post by watchingyouwatch
When they put their application in is of no relevance. You should not start judging others and their applications and feeling you have more "right" to a place. If some one else gets a place and you don't -wish them luck and don't begrudge them it. Why would it be a nuisance?

Good Luck with your application I hope you hear good news soon- but concentrate on that not judging others applications

I have no idea what you mean about the native language professor:confused:

Sorry but you have completely misunderstood :smile: First I'm an European applicant (that's why I wrote English native language prof.) then the point of my first post was an other: I asked if someone who applies for 4 subjects at the same department is equally considered or should specify his preferences (an aquaintance of mine did his application in a not so fair way tbh, but this was just a personal impression that I added in the post) :biggrin:
What a bitter person you are. Why not just enjoy the OP's happiness?

Did you actually read back to what I was replying to? It was someone complaining about getting a "laughably low" offer, that they were insulted by it being so low. How obnoxious!

Posted from TSR Mobile
My friends got her offer from Edinburgh on Friday for English Lit & History

Her offer was AAA and she got AAA last year in her AS Levels :smile:
Original post by Hfblondey
My friends got her offer from Edinburgh on Friday for English Lit & History

Her offer was AAA and she got AAA last year in her AS Levels :smile:

Congratulations to your friend! :biggrin: will she be firming?
Original post by esrioasaoirse
Congratulations to your friend! :biggrin: will she be firming?

Yes she will, haha thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending