The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

University of Edinburgh Applicants 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lucyflorenceb
Waiting for a reply for French, only heard back from Glasgow so far and got an unconditional. I applied in December, anyone else going onto study French? If so have you heard back???

I applied for French and English Lit, still haven't heard anything either and I applied in December. Worrying about it is making me feel ill! Best of luck to you by the way
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Anybody heard back about Law??? Really hoping to get into Edinburgh but getting in a bit of a panic since i've not heard anything yet! :s-smilie:
Original post by bethjane1997
Anybody heard back about Law??? Really hoping to get into Edinburgh but getting in a bit of a panic since i've not heard anything yet! :s-smilie:

Nope. Not me. Anyone else?
Original post by Bc99
Got offers from York, SOAS, Leeds and Sheffield!

Yeah we live in hope!

Aw wow, where are you thinking of going or would Edinburgh be your first? But well done on your current offers!
Original post by orlrighty
Nope. Not me. Anyone else?

I heard back on 22nd of January, but don't panic I'm sure you will both get offers soon :smile:
Original post by beryl_97
Hey :smile:

How much time is spent in lectures and tutorials and stuff? I know you're supposed to spend lots of time away from uni doing work, but I was just wondering how much teaching time you get.

Also, is it a big department there? I'm visiting in April but it would be nice to know a bit of background before :smile: Thank you!

hey! firstly sorry for the late reply!

And you'll have a lecture or tutorial every day, I'd say on average I'd have 3 hours of contact time per day.
It's a fairly big department, but I don't know what to compare it too, I'd say there's about 100-150 in each year
Original post by Rebeccaotoole
I have an unconditional for Chemical Engineering at Strathclyde, Edinburgh and Aberdeen so far and I am completely torn between Edinburgh and Strathclyde. If anybody could convince me or just help me in any way it would be brill! Thankyou x

Edinburgh is such a nice uni I don't know the specifics of Chemical Engineering but for the city alone Edinburgh has to be the winner :smile:

EDIT: You can always check the league tables although I'm not sure how accurate they are!
Reply 1087
Original post by clannem
Aw wow, where are you thinking of going or would Edinburgh be your first? But well done on your current offers!

Edinburgh is definitely my first, best university in that list by a mile. What about you?
Original post by Bc99
Edinburgh is definitely my first, best university in that list by a mile. What about you?

Edinburgh as well, although I think it's unlikely I'll get in. My other choices are terrible to be honest (Edinburgh was the best university I applied for, the rest are pretty low on league tables and in my opinion), but due to accommodation and living costs I'll probably need to settle with Strathclyde as a backup which I really don't want to do. But I'm considering Stirling because it adds in the PGDE along with English Lit and History which would help but I don't want to move into the middle of nowhere!
Same! :biggrin: Did you apply for the Ma or Bsc??

Bsc, you? :smile:
Original post by Blitzkrieg15
Edinburgh is the closest the UK has to another Oxbridge.

Are you sure? What makes you say this?
Original post by mechanism
Are you sure? What makes you say this?

Already answered this.
Already answered this.

Sorry - so it's just the big buildings?

If so, that's one of the best things about Oxbridge anyway.
Original post by callmethed0ctor
Bsc, you? :smile:

Ma :smile: Is Edinburgh your first choice?
Original post by mechanism
Sorry - so it's just the big buildings?

If so, that's one of the best things about Oxbridge anyway.

Scale and size of the stupendous buildings, ancient tradition, World rankings, high endowments, alumni.
Has anyone got an offer and then had it lowered after a couple of weeks?
Scale and size of the stupendous buildings, ancient tradition, World rankings, high endowments, alumni.

In that case I would suggest St. Andrews, Durham or Glasgow.
Ma :smile: Is Edinburgh your first choice?

Ooo fancy! First year entry? :smile: and I think so, I'm torn between Ed and LSE but I can't decide anyway until St Andrews get back :frown: what about you? :smile:
Original post by orlrighty
In that case I would suggest St. Andrews, Durham or Glasgow.

Sure, if you don't like Oxbridge or UCL or Edinburgh.
Sure, if you don't like Oxbridge or UCL or Edinburgh.

Well, the comparison is with Oxbridge. Durham, I'd say, is as prestigious in law as UCL and superior to Edinburgh. So is Glasgow - Glasgow's teaching of law is always rated above Edinburgh's . Durham's architecture is far better than Edinburgh - and its collegiate structure is akin to Oxbridge. St. Andrew's also offers an immeasurably more attractive and ancient location. St.Andrew's academic reputation is definitely higher than both UCL and Edinburgh - except it doesn't have a law school.

I am sure you will dispute this and we can bat league tables to and fro. These are only my opinions based on the same facts you probably have.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending