The Student Room Group

How many hours do you revise for AS?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by toonervoustotalk
I feel sorry for you OCR B:frown:
I am on OCR A which is easier than B:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I heard my exam board was pretty bad, I.e half the students last year got an E at as even though the math pass rate at our schooll is really high :/ but what makes you think it's harder than ocr A?
Original post by lyricalvibe
I heard my exam board was pretty bad, I.e half the students last year got an E at as even though the math pass rate at our schooll is really high :/ but what makes you think it's harder than ocr A?

Idk but I know that the chemistry OCR B board is harder than the OCR A board so I thought it would apply for physics as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm kinda getting that, but then just think at A2 with all that knowledge :colone:-are you doing them all at A2?
I concur. That is all.
Ocr B, you?what are your other exam boards?

Yessss :biggrin: I can't wait to end A2 and reflect on how much knowledge I've gained.
Nah, I'm probably dropping Biology xD Are you?
AQA for physics :wink: Then OCR for Chem and Bio, but I'm not sure which of the two. Also, OCR MEI for maths and FM
Reply 43
Original post by thechemistress
Still taking biology, unfortunately. However, it has improved.. Slightly.. xD

Ah well :frown:
My Bio friends are loving it - but only because their teacher is good XD

Whats your fav now?
I'm loving all my subjects atm! Chem is the best though it's the most challenging! Maths is really dull and FM actually is...not as fun as expected.... Physics isn't as exciting as I expected but I know it will be when it comes to particle stuff :biggrin:
Reply 44
I'm barely doing an hour a day outside of school, for various reasons.

a) I've already covered all the A Level Maths content, so lessons and homework are generally trivial.

b) My economics teacher has taken extended leave, and it's surprisingly easy to self teach so that gives me a bit of free time

c) I normally work for half an hour most lunchtimes

d) We don't get a great deal of homework at the moment anyway.

However, I just agreed to do an EPQ this year so it will not stay like this for long...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Idk but I know that the chemistry OCR B board is harder than the OCR A board so I thought it would apply for physics as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

I looked into it a bit, ice B is done with the input of the institute of physics and the content was approved by them and all. I'm not sure if that would make it harder or not cErtain :frown: is Walters ocr B for chemistry? If so my school must be really sadistic -_-

Original post by thechemistress
Yessss :biggrin: I can't wait to end A2 and reflect on how much knowledge I've gained.
Nah, I'm probably dropping Biology xD Are you?
AQA for physics :wink: Then OCR for Chem and Bio, but I'm not sure which of the two. Also, OCR MEI for maths and FM

:nod: most likely, unless I get dead pan cErtain on a particular career. I also might do 3 years of A level as I'm technically meant to be in year 11 right now :colondollar:
We're the same for chemistry! I'm aqa bio though. I swear mei is meant to be the hardest maths exam board, I'm just ocr normal. Which maths topics are you doing and are you doing any/all science olympiad this year?

Original post by C0balt
Ah well :frown:
My Bio friends are loving it - but only because their teacher is good XD

Whats your fav now?
I'm loving all my subjects atm! Chem is the best though it's the most challenging! Maths is really dull and FM actually is...not as fun as expected.... Physics isn't as exciting as I expected but I know it will be when it comes to particle stuff :biggrin:
I feel we should all have a chemistry party :biggrin: chemistry is love chemistry is life :colondollar:
You don't just so happen to be another fellow quintuple scientist do you :colone: ?

Original post by Krollo
I'm barely doing an hour a day outside of school, for various reasons.

a) I've already covered all the A Level Maths content, so lessons and homework are generally trivial.

b) My economics teacher has taken extended leave, and it's surprisingly easy to self teach so that gives me a bit of free time

c) I normally work for half an hour most lunchtimes

d) We don't get a great deal of homework at the moment anyway.

However, I just agreed to do an EPQ this year so it will not stay like this for long...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dude I have no frees and don't get home till 5 daily yet my teachers still give loads of homework -.-

How have you covered the whole maths syllabus? Did you read ahead or just fsmqs?
I looked into it a bit, ice B is done with the input of the institute of physics and the content was approved by them and all. I'm not sure if that would make it harder or not cErtain :frown: is Walters ocr B for chemistry? If so my school must be really sadistic -_-

:nod: most likely, unless I get dead pan cErtain on a particular career. I also might do 3 years of A level as I'm technically meant to be in year 11 right now :colondollar:
We're the same for chemistry! I'm aqa bio though. I swear mei is meant to be the hardest maths exam board, I'm just ocr normal. Which maths topics are you doing and are you doing any/all science olympiad this year?

I feel we should all have a chemistry party :biggrin: chemistry is love chemistry is life :colondollar:
You don't just so happen to be another fellow quintuple scientist do you :colone: ?

Dude I have no frees and don't get home till 5 daily yet my teachers still give loads of homework -.-

How have you covered the whole maths syllabus? Did you read ahead or just fsmqs?

Salters is OCR B for chemistry. OK cool
Anyway I wish you luck on your AS revision

Posted from TSR Mobile
Salters is OCR B for chemistry. OK cool
Anyway I wish you luck on your AS revision

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ice=ocr Walters=salters. Sorry :colondollar: I wish you well in your pursuit if science. Godspeed son. Godspeed.
Ice=ocr Walters=salters. Sorry :colondollar: I wish you well in your pursuit if science. Godspeed son. Godspeed.

Haha OK
What subjects apart from chemistry and physics are you doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49

Long story, but essentially - in Year 10 my teacher kept giving me extension work as I was getting full marks in most GCSE papers I did. As a result I covered almost all of the Further Maths Certificate content in year 10.

In year 11 we did the Further Maths Certificate, but my teacher let me self-study A Level. However, round-about March time the school quite reasonably blocked me from doing the exams, as most universities dislike it.

I then moved to a grammar sixth form, where the teachers are straight-up refusing to let me do extension work in class, and I have to sit there and do sod all. It's great fun :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50

:five: My chem teacher is so awesome as well omg I love that dude :colondollar:

Nope I'm doing the physical science combo so without biology. I was going to try out 5 and drop as I go but my school didn't allow me due to time tabling reasons.
Reply 51
Well, my teacher last year let me study A Level Maths in class (full story a couple of posts back). I'm on Edexcel, how are you finding it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52
Seems specific... Oxbridge or medicine? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Best of luck with that then :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
On my study planner I have 4-5 hours per subject per week planned... but this is flexible. I count homework as study hours, and I study in my frees. I do a lot of stuff outside school (vet/med school hopeful) so really I don't feel like I should do much more unless I'm struggling. Although I found it all hard at first, I'm definitely getting into the hang of studying and the topics. My studying consists of homework, exam questions given that week, and writing notes. I really like writing notes, haha - proof I am destined for vetsci/medicine!
Same but for NatSci at UCL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 56
Maths ideally, maybe economics, I'm not sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This friday-sunday i admittedly did pretty much nothing (like 3 hours over the last 3 days) however this was a break as i have been revising 3 hours a weekday that i don't have extra lessons and 2 hours a weekday that i do and 4-5 hours a weekend day so i needed a bit of a break (but the above is the average amount i do at the moment at AS)
Although... i do need to pick it up a bit on English Language, as i have been neglecting it a little bit.
This weekend I did all of my homework, planned my next English essay and typed up my Economics notes for a few hours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I haven't even bothered started revising my normal subjects having spent the summer with my historical enquiry. I'm now doing reading for my EPQ , though an important point to consider is you don't want burnout from taking it to hard at the start

Quick Reply

Latest