The Student Room Group

How many hours do you revise for AS?

Poll

How many hours do you revise in a week for AS

I am really curious to know:

3 months into AS: how many hours do you revise now? Any change?

1. How many hours do you revise a day for your subjects?
2. How many minutes/hours do you revise for each subject per session?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FREYA2898
I am really curious to know:
1. How many hours do you revise a day for your subjects?
2. How many minutes/hours do you revise for each subject per session?

1. Depends on whether or not the content in class was easy or not i.e if economics was difficult I'll spend a couple of hours working on that, if not then I'll still spend a couple of hours doing homework or revision.

2. I try to do a minimum of 5 hours per subject per week outside of class.
1. About 3 hours after school= doing homework/re writing notes that were made in class. W
People say writing notes is a waste of time, but what I do is combine the spec, revision guide, school notes and text book all together so I have notes of everything. you'd be suprised what the teacher misses out on lol.

2. I just do as much as I can! I spend study periods doing homework/studing. I also read over old notes.

I would like all B's or more next year.
Reply 3
I did about 3-4 hours a week total. Closer to the exam this went up slowly as the exams got closer rising to probably 20 in the last month. Honestly, not worth setting a total time to do. Set tasks and take as long as you need to do them, no longer.
I feel so inadequate with the amount of time I spend on my AS revision compared to the previous posts...
Original post by happysmile
I feel so inadequate with the amount of time I spend on my AS revision compared to the previous posts...

Same!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Like 2 hours per week at the moment
Going to increase it to 3 this week
hopefully

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Homework is sufficient, maybe reading a bit before/after lesson helps. No point "revising" until real exams.

Source: did AS last year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Like 2 hours per week at the moment
Going to increase it to 3 this week
hopefully

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which subject are you most focused on then??
Reply 9
Original post by blondelocks
1. Depends on whether or not the content in class was easy or not i.e if economics was difficult I'll spend a couple of hours working on that, if not then I'll still spend a couple of hours doing homework or revision.

2. I try to do a minimum of 5 hours per subject per week outside of class.

5 Hours of extra work looks reasonable so do you work in your frees as well?
Reply 10
Original post by xoflower
1. About 3 hours after school= doing homework/re writing notes that were made in class. W
People say writing notes is a waste of time, but what I do is combine the spec, revision guide, school notes and text book all together so I have notes of everything. you'd be suprised what the teacher misses out on lol.

2. I just do as much as I can! I spend study periods doing homework/studing. I also read over old notes.

So about 18 hours per week (excluding weekends) WOW, that is a lot of work to do at home. Our school recommends that we do 18 hours per week, So keep that going :smile: Do you type your notes up or write them?? Hopefully, you will get all B/A'S next year!!!
Reply 11
Original post by AlphaNick
24 hours a day

Well done!! :colone:
I did AS last year
English: Just doing the homework really, and a few extra essays. Very little revision (got a B although if remarked I think it would have gone up to an A, after having seen the breakdown and stuff. Whatever, let's just say it's a B).
Applied ICT: We had no teacher and I learnt the whole subject 2 days before the exam. So I revised 9-10 for the subject in a whole year (because I studied 9 hours split in 2 days, I barely even opened the book before that. When I got to the exam my mind was steaming with all the info. One day later I had forgotten everything). (got an A)
Physics: very little. Except for the occasional test throughout the year (I'd spend around 2 hours revising for each test), I didn't spend much longer than an hour a day the week before exams, or even less than that. (got an A)
Now is when it gets drastic:
Chemistry: I must have spent well over 1 hour of revision a day for this subject for a month, as my board, CIE, is obsessed with organic chemistry, and the amount of stuff there was to learn on this was unreal. In the end, my paper turned out to be one of the papers with less organic chemistry in CIE's history, so that was a major screw up as I spent 90% of the time revising for organic chemistry. Got an A.
Mathematics: I did every single past paper there was to do from 2005 to 2013. All components, for every time zone (CIE has a paper for 3 different time zones). By the end of the exam period, exam papers were coming out of my ears. Got an A.
So yes. I did very chilled revision in April, studying a bit of this and a bit of that. Then I started doing past papers and noticed I didn't know as much as I thought. So May was basically a month of manic revision. If you work hard you'll get an A in your subjects. I'm certain that even if my paper was marked incorrectly, had I done just a bit more of revision for English I would have gotten an A.

As for A2, I'm doing Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Further Maths (which is self taught).
I'm trying to keep a good, consistent pace of work and I'm doing around 1 hour of revision a night for all of my subjects (that is 1 hour between all of them, not individually) but Further Maths, which I'm having to revise over 1 hour and 30 minutes a day independent of my other 3 subjects as I'm self-learning and in a single year).
Work hard, it is gratifying to know the hard work pays off.
(edited 9 years ago)

^
I have to agree with making your own notes. It makes you go over things you might have ignored. Making your own notes and then answering past papers based on them is the best form of revision IMO.
0. :bawling:
Original post by The Clockwork Apple
^
I have to agree with making your own notes. It makes you go over things you might have ignored. Making your own notes and then answering past papers based on them is the best form of revision IMO.

Its so helpful! Its just off putting sometimes, at school one of our teachers said re-writing notes is extreme and all the girls in my class say they don't see the point.
So about 18 hours per week (excluding weekends) WOW, that is a lot of work to do at home. Our school recommends that we do 18 hours per week, So keep that going :smile: Do you type your notes up or write them?? Hopefully, you will get all B/A'S next year!!!

Thanks :smile: GCSE's motivated me as I didn't work as hard as I could have.

Its not really a lot of work tbh especially since I don't mess about during study periods, and I like my subjects :smile: I'm doing chem, bio, sociology and history.

I type up History and Sociology and write Biology and Chemistry as it involves drawing.

Thanks :smile: Are you in year 12? and what do you do to revise?
Which subject are you most focused on then??

Physics then biology then chemistry then maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hardly did any revision and achieved AABC. But A2 was just a whole 'nother level.

Quality of revision > Quantity of revision.
Reply 19
Thanks :smile: GCSE's motivated me as I didn't work as hard as I could have.

Its not really a lot of work tbh especially since I don't mess about during study periods, and I like my subjects :smile: I'm doing chem, bio, sociology and history.

I type up History and Sociology and write Biology and Chemistry as it involves drawing.

Thanks :smile: Are you in year 12? and what do you do to revise?

Yes, I am in Y12. I am studying Biology, chemistry, geography and ICT. I revise an hour of Biology and Chemistry every day and 1 hour of geog/ICT. So 3 hours a day after school!! I make notes from the textbook, classwork and other resources into a small notebook...

Quick Reply

Latest