The Student Room Group

Is it safe for a woman to ride home alone at 2am?

My sister (23) has been offered a new job and really wants it but she doesn't have a car yet. She's saving up for lessons and is trying to get her license asap. But in the meantime she's going to commute to and from work on her bike everyday. She will finish at 1.30am though, and it's about an 11 mile ride (40-50 minutes). She says she'll ride on the main roads and avoid bike trails, dark streets etc. I'm not sure about this Would you consider it safe?.
Hell naw. I wouldn't consider that safe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes...if she sticks to the road. Safer than getting a taxi.

She just needs to have some street smarts and not stop for cars or anything and be prepared to ride quickly...highly unlikely.

I get drunk and ride home often at silly times and never see anything bad. The roads are so quiet at that time she could ride more central on the road if she sees someone on the pavement coming up.

So ignore everyone and keep your distance.
No lol. Not even for a guy and especially not for a woman.
Reply 4
No not really, would be better if she was with a work mate.
It's not safe for both sexes.
It's totally not safe - don't you know that mass murderers sit on roads waiting for cyclists to ride by in the middle of the night? That's what they do. They just hang out at the side of roads.
I'd say she's fairly safe as long as she knows it will be well lit, she has bike lights/helmet etc and she knows how to fix a puncture quickly and she's sensible e.g. not stopping to speak to/help anyone

it would be preferable if she had someone at home expecting her back just in case anything was to happen

to be honest it's probably not much more dangerous than cycling home at 6pm in the winter, obviously cycling in the dark is a tad more dangerous and cycling at 1am there will be less people around if she was to hurt herself and need help but she's not going to be in much danger of being abducted or something cycling along a main road at 15mph, she's probably much safer than she would be getting in a taxi after a night out or walking to the bus stop

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending