The Student Room Group

I Give up

I've made no friends at university, it seems I'm always the one that has to introduce myself to other people. The people I live with are nice but we have nothing in common and our personalities don't match. I give up, I've tried to be nice, but now it's time to be the version of me that acts like he does not give a f. I'm not being nice to anyone anymore

I'd like to add, I've been in lectures for a whole week and made no friends at all there. Considering I must suck, I should probably start acting like what I think would be sucky too, this is my justification. If people think I suck I might as well think it too.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 870136
I've made no friends at university, it seems I'm always the one that has to introduce myself to other people. The people I live with are nice but we have nothing in common and our personalities don't match. I give up, I've tried to be nice, but now it's time to be the version of me that acts like he does not give a f. I'm not being nice to anyone anymore

You still like me though right bro? :frown:
Original post by 870136

That's not going to work any better. Things take time. Did you make all your friends in the first week of school?
Reply 3
dont give up! give it some time...university is supposed to be the best time of your life to meet new people and make unforgettable memories! if you give up now you may regret it forever later...i know it might be hard to make an effort at this point but keep yourself open and friendly...if you shut yourself out to others it will only drive people further away from you!
Reply 4
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
That's not going to work any better. Things take time. Did you make all your friends in the first week of school?

No, but at the same time people hadn't already formed their own groups within the first week like they have here. I'm not using the attitude to make friends, it's just easier to not care than try and be conversational.
Reply 5
Original post by dxb_999
dont give up! give it some time...university is supposed to be the best time of your life to meet new people and make unforgettable memories! if you give up now you may regret it forever later...i know it might be hard to make an effort at this point but keep yourself open and friendly...if you shut yourself out to others it will only drive people further away from you!

Fresher's week was also meant to be the best week of my life...it wasn't. It seems everyone's already made their friends for life, they all seem so happy talking in their groups which I am not going to jump into because let's face it, they won't want to talk
Original post by 870136
No, but at the same time people hadn't already formed their own groups within the first week like they have here. I'm not using the attitude to make friends, it's just easier to not care than try and be conversational.

There's a saying that people spend their second and third years trying to shake off the friends they made by mistake in the first year.
Reply 7
There's a saying that people spend their second and third years trying to shake off the friends they made by mistake in the first year.

I've known at least 10 people who've gone to uni pretty well, and none of them did this, they all said they were happy living with their housemates.
Original post by 870136
I've known at least 10 people who've gone to uni pretty well, and none of them did this, they all said they were happy living with their housemates.

Well, they beat the odds, were lucky or are lying.
Reply 9
Well, they beat the odds, were lucky or are lying.

Or the saying is wrong
Original post by 870136
Or the saying is wrong

I give up.
Reply 11
I give up.

If you did that to intentionally match the thread title, I like it.
Original post by 870136
If you did that to intentionally match the thread title, I like it.

:colondollar:
Reply 13
:colondollar:

Why do your posts all seem to have huge gaps under what you've written? Or is this just something weird I'm seeing?
Original post by 870136
Why do your posts all seem to have huge gaps under what you've written? Or is this just something weird I'm seeing?

I suspect it is to do with my sig being a bit big.
Reply 15
I suspect it is to do with my sig being a bit big.

First you match the thread title, then you rhyme...not bad at all
Original post by 870136
First you match the thread title, then you rhyme...not bad at all

I'm an English teacher. It's the kind of thing I do. This whole thread is a metaphor for life and death.
Reply 17
I'm an English teacher. It's the kind of thing I do. This whole thread is a metaphor for life and death.

English teacher eh? I apologise for all the grammar errors I've undoubtedly made so far.
Original post by 870136
English teacher eh? I apologise for all the grammar errors I've undoubtedly made so far.

I'm used to it.
I met a girl on my course in my final year as a undergrad. She was awesome and we became very close friends. So hang in there :cool:

Quick Reply

Latest