The Student Room Group

Ideas for two day a week compound exercise workouts

As the title says... I'm hard pressed for time but really desire to gain at least 20 lbs as a goal.

Since I've lost weight, my metabolism seems to be on a snowballing roll: I am continuing to lose weight even though I have gone without a consistent work out for 2 months, and have lost some strength. I fear I may turn back into a "hardgainer" like I was when I was younger.

I'm thinking: squats, deadlifts, lunges, benchpress, incline flies, dips, dumbbell shoulder presses, upright rows, pullups, one arm rows, shrugs, calf raises... etc. using some super sets, and adding some drop sets after I am back in the habit.

I suppose my question is more of how should I split up these workouts between the two days, and if there is too much focus (or not enough) in one area?
Tooooo complicated.

Day 1: Squat, Press
Day 2: Bench, Deadlift/Clean

Chin both days. Finish with a short, intense conditioning session.
What SEHughes suggest is one way to do it.

Really though at only twice a week I'd be tempted to press, bench and chin and squat on each session and maybe dead every other session. Also you'll want some horizontal pull for shoulder health, but facepulls are not taxing and work fine. Better to hit the movements twice as often but with reduced sets over once a week and more sets. I.e. do 3 sets of each movement each session (just warm up to 1 heavy set for deads as you're already squatting that day).

Once a week is fairly poor for progression IMO and really when science shows protein synthesis rates drop back pretty much to baseline in 48 hours (maybe up to 72 hours) its clear why...

Sure CNS takes a bit longer but wait too long and you'll begin losing muscular adaptations in between which is why once/week sucks. Never seen anyone do better on once a week than twice a week.
Reply 3
i would simply do ICF 5x5 but do each workout once a week. that way you'll be squating and rowing twice a week and everything else once a week which would be okay, although maybe add bench to both workouts if its something you want to improve
Keep that calorie deficit. Then, lifting twice a week is great, and possibly ideal for a cut with not enough volume to drain you.

But also, don't go completely minimalist just for the sake of being cool. Get in there for an hour twice a week, and then add some other activity in the week like walking, football etc. 2 hours in the gym and a couple of hours of extra dedicated activity out of 168 hours in the week is not asking too much! Diet is still vital though.

I'd say forget the dips, upright rows, flies and shrugs - these really won't make a difference on a cut and can all lead to bad shoulder injuries. Save the calf raises for later as well - focus on the bigger exercises twice a week.

I'd do this, assuming you have no pre-existing injuries and aren't training for health and physique, not sports:

5-10 min mobility warm up both days, followed by lifting for 40 minutes:
Day 1
A Squat 4x6
B1 Overhead press variation 4x8
B2 Chin ups 4xmax
C1 Ab roll out 3xmax
C2 Biceps 3x12
D Farmers walks 3x40 yards

Day 2
A Romanian deadlift 4x6
B1 Bench/weighted push up 4x8
B2 DB 1-arm row 4x8/side
C1 Dragon flag 3xmax
C2 Triceps 3x12
D Walking lunges 3x12/side
Honestly I would say just get in the gym and rack up as much volume as you can on big compounds. You're gonna have plenty of time for recovery.
Reply 6
BUMP

Quick Reply

Latest