The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

What's the events management course like at coventry Uni?

Hey,
I am planning to apply here for events management and just wondering what the course is like if there is any trips aboard and whether it is very practical or theoretical. It would also be a huge help if you describe the city like nightlife and diversity and also the chance of getting into the course. Thanks in advance. :smile:
Reply 1
Hi! It's great to hear you're considering our events management course, here's some info I've gathered for you:

If you choose this course you will benefit from:

links within the event industry via the department’s extensive contacts in the field. Opportunities in the past have included associations with the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games Ltd. (LOCOG), helping to organise and participate in events run by the British Council, including the Going Global 2013 Conference in Dubai, working in various event roles at major music concerts at the NEC, NIA and the Ricoh Arena and operating as event co-ordinators at the World Cup Rugby Sevens event in Moscow. The department’s international network within the event industry also includes key collaborations in the Far East, Russia, Dubai, Qatar, the United States and Brazil

You'll work with experienced teaching staff who bring professional or research expertise into their teaching; practical experience of working on event management projects through our extensive volunteering network. This allows you to engage with industry partners and progress through each stage of an event, covering aspects such as the bidding process, design, costing, logistics, marketing, implementation and feedback with the client; academic field visits and volunteering opportunities help build your CV and let you apply your management theory.

There is also the opportunity to participate in international workshops and conferences. For example, our students have participated in workshops at universities in Groningen and Cologne. You'll work in collaboration with Coventry University’s Students’ Union providing a range of events for clubs and societies, as well as being actively involved with the organisation and delivery of a number of key university events.

I hope this helps!

^Elizabeth
Social Media Assistant.
Original post by T_law18
Hey, It would also be a huge help if you describe the city like nightlife and diversity and also the chance of getting into the course. Thanks in advance. :smile:

I work for the university but I've also lived in Coventry for 28 years, so I can give you an honest reply ^_^
The city has really developed in the last few years and has changed from a grim concrete city to a green one, with new traffic systems that may have caused chaos when being built but have now completely altered the city centre to make it nearly all pedestrianised. The shops are improving, especially the newer lower precinct that has just opened a Pandora store and holds one of NewLook's biggest shops. Nightlife is good here, not amazing but Birmingham is very close if you're a hard core clubber, I've never had to go there though as there are enough places to go at night here to satisfy most. There's loads of restaurants too.
I'll admit when I was younger I didn't feel safe in the city, but over the last ten years the security has improved, lighting has been added, one of the best CCTV systems in the country and bigger police presence - as long as you stay responsible and don't take any risks you should be fine here. The campus itself is very secure, and there are lots of events for new students to show you around the city - both in the day and at night. The other good news if you drive is the majority of roadworks in the centre are due to finish by the summer, and will really really improve access and traffic flow .

Original post by T_law18
Hey,
[and] the chance of getting into the course. Thanks in advance. :smile:

I can't help you with that, obviously it all comes down to that standard of your application. However, stay positive and prepare well for your interview and you'll already be a step ahead :smile:
It's also worth following the departments specific twitter account @covunibes to keep updated with the course info :smile:

I hope this has helped!
Elizabeth
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by T_law18
Hey,
I am planning to apply here for events management and just wondering what the course is like if there is any trips aboard and whether it is very practical or theoretical. It would also be a huge help if you describe the city like nightlife and diversity and also the chance of getting into the course. Thanks in advance. :smile:

Hey,
I started the course in September and I couldn't recommend it enough! You learn so much in the first few weeks and you're really eased into the course, all the staff are amazingly helpful. A couple of weeks into term we went down to Newquay in Cornwall, and that was really good, as we based two pieces of coursework around it, there's also loads of volunteering opportunities which are great to take up!
Nightlife is good enough, you'll probably only go to Hush the students union at freshers unless you're into R&B or join a sports society, Tuesdays is JJ's which is themed every week and most people go to Kasbah on Fridays/Saturdays which is a great place!
Coventry itself is a pretty diverse city and quite a nice place, I enjoy it anyway! And it's close to Birmingham so for shopping and going out it's brilliant!
Hope this has helped!
jadej
how did the first year go, what kinds of things and topics do you learn? I'm looking at applying for next semptember as I'm really into planning wedding events. I've done 2 floristry diplomas and a diploma in media, work in hospitality and really love the idea of events coming together. would you say the course is mainly individual work or group work. Also are there a lot of individual presentations, i wouldn't class myself as a very confident person and this is the only thing thats putting me off doing the course. what halls did you stay in too? thanks,

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending