The Student Room Group

Difference between criminology BA and criminology BSc?

One of them is more art based and the other one more science based. But what does it mean when it comes to a subject like criminology? I'd like to study for example criminology and criminal justice, which is always BSc, I think, but I've never been good at science, so... I'm not sure if BA/BSc matters that much.
Moved to Applications and UCAS :h:
In the UK there are no definitive rules on what types of courses attract what final degree (e.g. everything none Medical at Oxford is a BA which then transmogrifies into a MAOxon)

in some cases there are nearly consistant rules e.g. medical schools award some flavour of Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, the vastest majority of BEng and MEng are accredited by EngC accredited institutions.

Sometimes when a HEI offers both BA and BSc in a subject this reflects a qualitative orientated program for the BA and a quantative orientated programme for the BSc or the merger of two previously differently named degrees into one titlewith a choice of arts or sicence route.

it is entirely concievable that a criminology degree as one of the social science type subjects could be in this position especially if the BSc version was more forensic science orientated and the BA was more psychology / social work type topics .

In comapring differing HEI offering the same named subject as a BA and a BSc you 'll have to look at module titles and summaries as it can be down to which department or faculty runs the course whether it's a BA or BSc

some subjects you get the full variety of degree titles offered by different HEIs , I am aware of Registered Nurses whose primary or 'top-up' from diploma degree is BA, BSc , BN/BNurs or even BMedSci

(the BMedSci example is from when the university of Sheffield held the main pre-reg contract for S Yorks and 'North Trent' - as the School of Nursing and midwifery was part of a wider faculty of Medidine and health along with the medical school, dental school ,the biomedical science types and IIRC audiologists and optometrists- this faculties default Bachelors was BMedSci other than tbe BMBS and BDS - so intercalated Medics/. Dentists, 'top -up' Nursing ( this is when diploma was the default) as well as the other subjects in the faculty got BMedSci)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending