The Student Room Group

Are UCL less likely to want Oxbridge applicants??

Are UCL less likely to take Oxbridge applicants?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GracieRoseW

No, absolutely not the case.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
My teacher told me that universities like UCL in some cases lower grade requirements for people who send off their UCAS before mid October as it is safe to assume they are an oxbridge applicant.

I guess it's their way of enticing students to choose them over Oxbridge, or at least make them the second choice.
Original post by GracieRoseW

So, you think that UCL deliberately turns away the best applicants and selflessly makes do with only second best? Applicants who may not have even applied for Oxbridge, because no universities can see where else an applicant has applied to? And they assume that anyone who is organised enough to have applied before 15th October MUST be applying for Oxbridge, and isn't just an organised person who knows what they want? Do think this through.
(edited 9 years ago)
Interestingly it IS true of the Oxford medicine transfers scheme - UCL will not take you unless you make them 1st choice.

They can't know where you've applied through UCAS though. Do not worry about this - apply where you want.
(edited 9 years ago)
No. My d got offers from both and each approached her in their own ways. They are both first rate.
Reply 6
There are two types of student at UCL.

The ones who are really pleased to be there and think it's the best place in the world; and the ones who are really pissed off that they didn't get into Cambridge.
Original post by Clip
There are two types of student at UCL.

The ones who are really pleased to be there and think it's the best place in the world; and the ones who are really pissed off that they didn't get into Cambridge.

I'm applying to Oxford and UCL but I wouldn't be less happy going to either :smile:
Original post by HeavisideDelts
Then youre probably not going to get into oxford...

Well, that's not the case. What I mean is, I like Oxford and would be thrilled to bits going there, but it's not going to ruin my life if I get a rejection. It's more of an aspiration, than a proper target.
Original post by sarcasmrules
Well, that's not the case. What I mean is, I like Oxford and would be thrilled to bits going there, but it's not going to ruin my life if I get a rejection. It's more of an aspiration, than a proper target.

It is a waste of time replying to callow trolls.

Best of luck to you.
Original post by alcibiade
It is a waste of time replying to callow trolls.

Best of luck to you.

I didn't think he was trolling. My chance of getting into Oxford, realistically, is about 40%. It's not worth getting too upset by it.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
So, you think that UCL deliberately turns away the best applicants and selflessly makes do with only second best? Applicants who may not have even applied for Oxbridge, because no universities can see where else an applicant has applied to? And they assume that anyone who is organised enough to have applied before 15th October MUST be applying for Oxbridge, and isn't just an organised person who knows what they want? Do think this through.

In fairness, I think most people applying before the 15th will be applying to Oxbridge/Med/Vet/Dentistry
Original post by Chlorophile
In fairness, I think most people applying before the 15th will be applying to Oxbridge/Med/Vet/Dentistry

I know of quite a few people on here (myself included) that have already applied, and very few that have applied for those things. As Carnationlilyrose said, some people just have their minds made up now.

Not at all. My school has a policy of encouraging everybody to get theirs off before half term and the majority do, regardless of where they are applying or what for. It's a question of getting it out of the way before the heavy part of the A level courses starts to kick in, in preparation for mocks in January. Absolutely nothing can be extrapolated from the date of sending.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Not at all. My school has a policy of encouraging everybody to get theirs off before half term and the majority do, regardless of where they are applying or what for. It's a question of getting it out of the way before the heavy part of the A level courses starts to kick in, in preparation for mocks in January. Absolutely nothing can be extrapolated from the date of sending.

At least in my school, I've not seen anyone get their application in early who isn't going for Oxbridge/Met/Vet/Dentistry. I've tried to find some statistics on the matter but UCAS doesn't appear to publish the number of early applications.
At least in my school, I've not seen anyone get their application in early who isn't going for Oxbridge/Met/Vet/Dentistry. I've tried to find some statistics on the matter but UCAS doesn't appear to publish the number of early applications.

It depends on the school. The school where I work is geared up for university applications from the minute the kids enter at year 7 and the parents would think we were slacking if we hadn't got them off early.
Reply 16

Would be v interesting to see a correlation between application date and number of offers...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Would be v interesting to see a correlation between application date and number of offers...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got no doubt that there will be negative correlation between date of sending in and number of offers. Not because you're more likely to get offers if you send your application in early, but because the kind of people who are organised enough to get their application in early (plus the effect of all the Oxbridge/Med/Vet/Dentistry applicants) means that the kind of people sending their applications in early are likely the same kind of people who are likely to get lots of offers.
I've got no doubt that there will be negative correlation between date of sending in and number of offers. Not because you're more likely to get offers if you send your application in early, but because the kind of people who are organised enough to get their application in early (plus the effect of all the Oxbridge/Med/Vet/Dentistry applicants) means that the kind of people sending their applications in early are likely the same kind of people who are likely to get lots of offers.

That is certainly one aspect of it. However, universities are equally ready to take an outstanding applicant whose circumstances changed on Jan 14th and put in an application in the deadline because they now could apply to university when they thought they couldn't two months before. There are a lot of myths circulating around TSR about the arcane magic which is employed in making offers and many of them gain credence because sixth form students have no direct contact with any of the people who make the decisions about their lives. Rumours abound. However, TSR has quite a few admissions tutors amongst its membership, plus a further number of Ucas trained mods, and we are doing our very best to assure students that the admissions tutors are professional people who make decisions on pretty closely defined criteria, not whim. I used to be the lodger in the house of the admissions tutor for a RG philosophy department more than 35 years ago, and he used to claim that he stood at the top of the stairs with a bundle of forms and throw them down, giving offers to those which reached the bottom step, but I didn't believe it then, and I would believe it even less now.

Best I can do is that in 2013, the number of people applying for courses with 15th October 2013 deadlines was 58,200. By five past midnight on 18th November 2013 the total number of applicants was 140,890.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending