The Student Room Group

Netflix...

Hey all,

This is going to sound like a really stupid question, but I want genuine help please.

At the moment, my TV/PC set up is pretty plain. I have my computer plugged into the Internet by my desk, and the TV is just sat in the corner not plugged into anything except the wall (I just have Freeview).

I am considering asking my family for a year subscription to Netflix for Christmas. It isn't something I would usually spend money on myself, but for the past five years my family have mostly just given me money, which I know they don't particularly like because it feels impersonal.

However, as technologically illiterate as I am, I don't know the best way to get it set up. Can anyone help me?

Thanks all :smile:

Jessica

EDIT: Also, I am a bit behind on the times with it. Can I watch American TV shows like Bones and TBBT, and, if so, how quickly do they come on Netflix (i.e. straight away after it has been aired, when the season finishes, when the DVD is released...).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Really, nearly 50 views and no answers?

Please?
Reply 2
Okay, I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty technology illiterate myself haha.

I signed up for a free trial of Netflix, but I just watch it on my laptop. However, when you sign up, there is an option to "watch on multiple devices". I assume this is how you would watch it on your T.V, via wifi? Possibly? I literally have no idea.

I do know however, (my boyfriend is a computer whizz, and I try to remember everything he tells me) that you can buy a cable that I believe is called a HDMI cable quite inexpensively. This cable allows you to connect your PC to your T.V and bam! Everything on your computer screen is now displayed on your T.V (i.e Netflix!)

When you buy this cable, I advise you to go into somewhere like PC World and explain what you want it for to an employee there. There are "mini HDMI" cables too, so it's best to let them help you pick the right one.

As for American T.V shows, in my free trial, I've noticed there are a couple on there, Dexter, Numb3rs but they tend to be quite old ones. There is apparently a way to access the American version of Netflix in the UK, which is supposed to be a lot better, but you'd have to Google how to do this as I have no idea.

I'm very sorry for my extremely limited knowledge, but I hope I have helped in some way :biggrin:
Original post by Ice_Queen
However, as technologically illiterate as I am, I don't know the best way to get it set up. Can anyone help me?

What do you mean by setting it up? In terms of registering for/sharing the account or as in a physical setup for people to use?

Also, I am a bit behind on the times with it. Can I watch American TV shows like Bones and TBBT, and, if so, how quickly do they come on Netflix (i.e. straight away after it has been aired, when the season finishes, when the DVD is released...).

No, you won't be able to watch shows immediately after they air in the majority of circumstances, just as DVD box sets aren't released immediately either. However through using proxy services like the Google Chrome addon Hola you can access the American Netflix library with your same login and get a lot of the shows earlier than they'd make it to the UK one.

Quick Reply

Latest