The Student Room Group

Can I/Should I apply for two degrees at one university?

Scroll to see replies

If it helps anyone, I emailed UCL and they said it was absolutely fine, so I'm going to apply for both Scandinavian Studies and Icelandic as a back up :smile:
Original post by lalaloopy700
It would be great if you could because im torn between civil engineering and medicine i would be happy with either

Just a word to the wise - you'd get neither with a plagiarised statement.
Original post by xleoanimusx
I see. It's just that the stats for Scandi Studies are 48% acceptance rate whereas Icelandic is 88%...and I'd genuinely love to do either, just Scandi Studies as a preference...I just really want to do one of the two. I think I'm going to contact their admissions and ask the question.

There is hardly a difference between Scandi and Icelandic. Admissions people will understand that if you are applying for Icelandic you are likely applying for Scandi at other places. Just write a Scandi PS that includes stuff from across the region but also highlights an especial interest in Iceland.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Just a word to the wise - you'd get neither with a plagiarised statement.

thanks for the tip
Original post by scrotgrot
There is hardly a difference between Scandi and Icelandic. Admissions people will understand that if you are applying for Icelandic you are likely applying for Scandi at other places. Just write a Scandi PS that includes stuff from across the region but also highlights an especial interest in Iceland.

No other uni does the course...apart from Edinburgh who have told me not to bother applying..
Go for it.

They sound like similar degrees and imagine they are from the same department so it won't be a problem. Your bigger problem is writing a PS that encompasses Scandinavian and Icelandic along with Celtic and Anglo-Saxon studies without being very vague.
apart from Edinburgh who have told me not to bother applying..

:eek: Why did they say that? An Edinburgh admissions lady told me I didn't meet the entry requirements, I applied anyway and got in. If you have a space on your UCAS application you might as well apply.
Original post by Samual
:eek: Why did they say that? An Edinburgh admissions lady told me I didn't meet the entry requirements, I applied anyway and got in. If you have a space on your UCAS application you might as well apply.

Nah man, they basically said because I have only been out of education for 2 years before starting my access course I don't count as a returner to education for them, and also that I don't have a language grade that's less than 2 years old...my GCSE in French is like 4 years old...so yeah, they said they can't even consider me because it's a strict rule. Don't wanna waste an application.
Nah man, they basically said because I have only been out of education for 2 years before starting my access course I don't count as a returner to education for them, and also that I don't have a language grade that's less than 2 years old...my GCSE in French is like 4 years old...so yeah, they said they can't even consider me because it's a strict rule. Don't wanna waste an application.

That seems very strange. Sod em, they don't do Icelandic anyway. :talkhand: Where else will you be applying? It is a shame that Aberdeen scrapped their Scandinavian Studies degree.
I'm applying at Aberdeen and Aberystwyth for Celtic studies and Nottingham for Viking studies but yeah...ucl is the one I want more than anything!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending