The Student Room Group

Summer Internships or Graduate Programmes?

Okay, so I'm a third (final year) target uni student without any relevant experience/internships. All I have is insight days/2 weeks experience as a financial analyst in industry which was very unrelated. I just want opinions on whether I'm doing the right thing by applying for summer internships for next year saying I'm going to do a Masters (making me a penultimate year student), as opposed to applying for graduate positions straight up.

Is this a legit plan even if I went on not to do a Masters? And also do you think it's a good idea to apply for a combination of internships and grad positions, i.e. internships at BBs, top boutiques etc and grad positions at MM firms, or will I get outright rejected from MM firms without related experience also?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
BUMP
Bump. In a similar position so would be great if someone could advise the OP.
Reply 3
If you're planning on studying masters at a top university, you have to have work experience.
The only way to land a grad job without an internship is to have 1st class with plenty of decent extra circulars, if not, you should go for an internship first.
Reply 4
Original post by 442113
Okay, so I'm a third (final year) target uni student without any relevant experience/internships. All I have is insight days/2 weeks experience as a financial analyst in industry which was very unrelated. I just want opinions on whether I'm doing the right thing by applying for summer internships for next year saying I'm going to do a Masters (making me a penultimate year student), as opposed to applying for graduate positions straight up.

Is this a legit plan even if I went on not to do a Masters? And also do you think it's a good idea to apply for a combination of internships and grad positions, i.e. internships at BBs, top boutiques etc and grad positions at MM firms, or will I get outright rejected from MM firms without related experience also?

Thanks in advance.

Hi :smile:
If you dont mind me asking, where did you do your insight/work experience as a financial analyst?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending