The Student Room Group

Help! My friend wants to do A levels but he is not allowed.

Hey I want to ask for advice on behalf of my friend. Me and my friend went to the same school. Our triple science teacher was a dick and he put me and my friend in foundation in physics. As a result, my friend only got a C which devastated him since he wants to be a astrophysicist.

As a result, he is doing BTEC level 3 extended diploma in applied science when he would prefer to be doing A level physics and maths. However, I got do higher levels in Chemistry and Biology because me and my parents had to BEG him. I got the A in biology and A in Chemistry even though he said I`m not good enough to do science so you can see what type of teacher he is.
Anyone he ruined my friends life since he got a C in the physics and chemistry since he did foundation. My friend asked the college if he could change but he can`t. So he stuck doing BTECS. So now what ?

Should my friend study privately ? If so is there any that can offer physics and maths A levels affordable ? Please give advice ! And by the way I think its disgraceful the government said it needs more people studying physics a levels and STEM subjects yet here is one who is being denied the chance to study them http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/jul/17/schools-fail-enter-pupils-science-maths-a-levels ! Please give advice please.
I lack a lot of knowledge on all this so don't even listen to me.

I think he should just do the as courses in physics, maths and further maths plus maybe retake his science gcses and maths all self taught. That'd be 3 a levels and 3/4 gcses (if his gcse maths isn't an A/A* he shouldn't even bother with any of this).

Regardless of what I said he should seek a professional careers help person and make decisions from their.
Reply 2
Original post by Kadak
Hey I want to ask for advice on behalf of my friend. Me and my friend went to the same school. Our triple science teacher was a dick and he put me and my friend in foundation in physics. As a result, my friend only got a C which devastated him since he wants to be a astrophysicist.

As a result, he is doing BTEC level 3 extended diploma in applied science when he would prefer to be doing A level physics and maths. However, I got do higher levels in Chemistry and Biology because me and my parents had to BEG him. I got the A in biology and A in Chemistry even though he said I`m not good enough to do science so you can see what type of teacher he is.
Anyone he ruined my friends life since he got a C in the physics and chemistry since he did foundation. My friend asked the college if he could change but he can`t. So he stuck doing BTECS. So now what ?

Should my friend study privately ? If so is there any that can offer physics and maths A levels affordable ? Please give advice ! And by the way I think its disgraceful the government said it needs more people studying physics a levels and STEM subjects yet here is one who is being denied the chance to study them http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/jul/17/schools-fail-enter-pupils-science-maths-a-levels ! Please give advice please.

You're right you're teacher was a prat. He should be able to do the btec then a level

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
You were in Triple Science and given a Foundation paper?...
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes most of the class were doing foundation only like 7 including me did higher the school only cared about it's league representation not it's students we only doing 9 GCSEs too: (
Posted from TSR Mobile

OK ty for advice do you know any good self taught websites at a reasonable price?
Reply 6
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

OK ty for advice do you know any good self taught websites at a reasonable price?

What subject? Khanacademy is good for some stuff

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah he ruined lots of people lives one guy in my class who wanted to be a pilot who can't now cause he wasn't allowed to do higher in physics
Posted from TSR Mobile

Physics maths, further maths.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know any websites that offer an levels qualification?
Reply 10
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Best bet would be to move college.
Reply 11
Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah he ruined lots of people lives one guy in my class who wanted to be a pilot who can't now cause he wasn't allowed to do higher in physics

Yikes

Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Physics maths, further maths.

I could with those.

Original post by Kadak
Posted from TSR Mobile

Afraid not

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Why not speak to the college and see if he can propose that if he achieves good grades in the physics modules in Applied Science that he can pick up an AS in Physics along side the 2nd year of Applied Science which would give him 3.5 A levels all science based?
it might work if he explains his situation (inc. his ambitions to study physics at university) to the college and it would also make his application for Astophysics more competitive.
Posted from TSR Mobile

OK ty for advice we ' ll try!

Quick Reply

Latest