The Student Room Group

Why does medicine need such high GCSE grades compared to other subjects?

Is it just because it's the most competitive course? Isn't there more competitive courses?
I think it's because universities look for candidates who have from an early age established a firm work ethic, which will be reflected in stellar GCSE results if you're one of these people as opposed to a late bloomer who only focuses on the subjects he/she is taking for a-level and enjoys rather than being an all-rounder. It's also because it's very competitive
Because Medicine is the most competitive of the competitive, but also because Medicine requires a rather well-rounded skillset, which good all-round GCSEs are evidence of. In terms of sheer competition, Medicine as a subject is almost certainly the most competitive. There might be individual degree courses at specific universities which might be more competitive but as a subject, Medicine is pretty much as competitive as you can get.
(edited 9 years ago)
For medicine what kind of GCSE's do you need?
Reply 5
As a general rule, most medical schools will be looking for a good set of A*s and As at GCSE.
Reply 6
Competition. 15 years ago my uncle got in with BCD, he's now on his way to becoming a surgeon, or he might already be one I'm not sure.

Quick Reply

Latest