The Student Room Group

Quantity Surveying (BSC/MSC)

Hello, I am a maths graduate who has been lucky enough to get a job at a firm to become a Quantity Surveyor. As of next year, 2015, I will be going to Birmingham University and doing a masters degree in QS on a part time basis. However, apart from on the job experience and the internet, I know very little to be mastering in it. So I would like to get ahead of the game and do some work over the next 11months to help prepare for this.

Has anyone done the masters at Birmingham University ( or masters elsewhere ) that has any advice?

Has anyone that has done the degree/masters got any useful resources that they don't mind sharing or book titles, so I can go out and by them?

Any useful websites ETC

Thanks
Reply 1
hiya, useful books include Quantity Surveyor's pocket book , NRM2 and NRM1. The last two mentioned will help in your quantification modules. I am currently doing my Bsc (hons) degree in quantity surveying at Birmingham University... and i would advise you to sign up to RICS - royal institution of chartered surveyors, student membership is free. Also CIOB is another good one, where membership is also free. The books can be bought from the RICS online shop at a discounted price, once you become a student member.
If you want to further your knowledge on the construction sector... Building magazine is a worthwhile subscription.
Reply 2
A lot of construction professionals are time served, it will be a step learning curve.
Reply 3
Hi,
I am a Maths student myself looking into going to QS. I actually came to ask if it's possible to get into a job with a non-construction related degree - how did you do it? I am in my penultimate year looking into applying for QS summer placements but all of them seem to require a construction/building/engineering type degree. I am still going to try, just wondering what route you took.
Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending