The Student Room Group

Is it possible to get on to an undergraduate course with a personal statement aimed a

Currently, my personal statement is aimed solely at Psychology, but I would also like to do an Operating Department Practice course. Ideally I would apply for four Psychology subjects and one for the other.

So is it possible that I can be considered for the ODP without altering my PS?

Much appreciated.
Original post by Davalla
Currently, my personal statement is aimed solely at Psychology, but I would also like to do an Operating Department Practice course. Ideally I would apply for four Psychology subjects and one for the other.

So is it possible that I can be considered for the ODP without altering my PS?

Much appreciated.

Don't quote me on this, I'm only going from what I've learnt from the experience of friends who applied this year.

Generally, the basic rule is, when applying to different courses try not to apply to courses that are not closely related, as it is difficult to get a personal statement which fits all. The reason being if you have got a personal statement which is based on Psychology, the admissions tutors for ODP will see it as you don't have much commitment to your course of study and you don't really know what you want to do and may reject you based on this. Universities like to see your personal statement is specific to their course and you need to relate it to your course of study to really demonstrate why you are fit for that course, so really think before applying in this way.

However, don't lose hope! If you are still undecided of what course to take between ODP and Psychology Consider emailing admissions and finding out whether you could send them a separate personal statement instead?
Out of interest, why are you thinking of applying to both courses?

Good Luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by LouieSax
Don't quote me on this, I'm only going from what I've learnt from the experience of friends who applied this year.

Generally, the basic rule is, when applying to different courses try not to apply to courses that are not closely related, as it is difficult to get a personal statement which fits all. The reason being if you have got a personal statement which is based on Psychology, the admissions tutors for ODP will see it as you don't have much commitment to your course of study and you don't really know what you want to do and may reject you based on this. Universities like to see your personal statement is specific to their course and you need to relate it to your course of study to really demonstrate why you are fit for that course, so really think before applying in this way.

However, don't lose hope! If you are still undecided of what course to take between ODP and Psychology Consider emailing admissions and finding out whether you could send them a separate personal statement instead?
Out of interest, why are you thinking of applying to both courses?

Good Luck :smile:

I know that the two courses are very dissimilar, and the ODP is my preferred choice as it sounds pretty perfect for me, I.e. there are fairly low entrance requirements, and allows work in prestigious environments, etc. However, I found this course relatively late and this is why my PS is dedicated to Psychology, along with the fact that there isn't really any other course like the ODP, and is pretty hard to find appropriate places to study (hence being only 1 of the 5 applications).

I've studied Psychology throughout GCSE and A Level, so I almost feel compelled to continue it. Along with the fact that there are so many Psychology degrees to choose from, and a variety of entry requirements; it has always seemed a good idea.

But with Psychology being so common and repetitive; my attention has turned to something more unique.

Much appreciated for your feedback!
Generally, it's a really bad idea. Admissions tutors want students dedicated to their subject. Why would they accept a student who's applying for a different subject or whose personal statement is clearly targeted at more than one course? The tutor's first impression of you will be an indecisive student who hasn't done enough research, regardless of whether this is true or not.
Reply 4
Original post by Chlorophile
Generally, it's a really bad idea. Admissions tutors want students dedicated to their subject. Why would they accept a student who's applying for a different subject or whose personal statement is clearly targeted at more than one course? The tutor's first impression of you will be an indecisive student who hasn't done enough research, regardless of whether this is true or not.

I know this is a bad idea, and am unlikely to do so, I'm just interested in wether it is actually possible!
Original post by Davalla
I know this is a bad idea, and am unlikely to do so, I'm just interested in wether it is actually possible!

Possible... but please don't do it!
Agree wholeheartedly with Chlorophile.
Send then a separate PS aimed at ODP - make it very convincing.

The worse thing they could do is reject you and then you still have your 4 other choices.
As Da Di Doo mentioned, if you email admissions tutors and explain the situation regarding the whole few unis do the course etc. If you ask they may allow you to send a separate personal statement, however, for a course like that you may need to have some work experience so bear that in mind :smile:
Possible - yes

Recommended - no

PLEASE contact the admissions staff at the university you want to apply for for ODP and explain your situation and just ask how they would view an application with a psychology PS. THEY are the only people who know for sure what their requirements are from a PS and whether a PS for psychology would be acceptable (and if not whether they will accept a brief ODP PS submitted to them directly).

Just bunging them on your choices on UCAS without talking to them is extremely foolish.

As for not having an ODP PS prepared - the deadline for applications isn't until January, you have plenty of time to prepare a new PS. If this is your ideal course then you need to put in the effort to both research it, speak to the admissions staff and to articulate to yourself and them why you want to study this course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending