The Student Room Group

Does anybody else ever feel like they should be doing more,

or working harder, or better, and basically rarely satisfied with how much they are doing/how much they've done, like they are lazy and need to do more stuff in life constantly. And do they sort of assume that everybody else is way ahead of you, in life in general?

In my case I feel like it a lot, the feeling sometimes makes me dizzy when walking along the road and rage/choke up a bit inside as I get angry at myself for not trying harder. I then invent a scenario in my head where everyone is more productive and ambitious than me to justify the feeling, and the cycle continues. The scenario sometimes has had quite serious consequences, such as I will assume (without evidence) that a friend of my SO is infinitely more successful and busy than me, and then get my partner to dump me to prove I am not trying hard enough. In the absence of evidence I will if determined, exaggerate aspects of their personality to meet this belief, or completely fabricate aspects of their lifestyle (for example, assume that they are a bodybuilder and very disciplined with their diet who trains harder than me despite the fact they say they admit to eating chocolate almost daily and struggling to stop, or that they lift even if they have never mentioned it). I think I realised this habit yesterday; I thought I simply get jealous of people who are successful, but if I don't know them well and am a bit jealous I can actually make up their life and big them up just so that I can justify the feeling.

In other non-relationship cases it makes me lose sleep or just get very agitated (although if I try not to think about "I should be doing more" then I am OK and can calm down). It's not very productive and in the past has made me a bit ill tbh however I do it anyway.

My most recent moment of this feeling was today, on the way to handing my application form for volunteering. My friend is doing a TEFL starter course this weekend, and texted me a progress update. All of a sudden for some reason, I felt like I should be doing a TEFL this weekend too-but I couldn't be, because I was working on my application forms/handing them in, and had to stay into give my sister a form for her housing application on behalf of my dad, etc.-but I should be doing BOTH! And so that ragey feeling emerges and I get all tense and angry at myself over my inability to be two places at once and reluctance to be super-ambitious and put lots of things on my plate.

Does anybody else relate to this sometimes unwarranted angry feeling of I must do more more MORE, even just a bit?
Original post by Riku
or working harder, or better, and basically rarely satisfied with how much they are doing/how much they've done, like they are lazy and need to do more stuff in life constantly. And do they sort of assume that everybody else is way ahead of you, in life in general?

In my case I feel like it a lot, the feeling sometimes makes me dizzy when walking along the road and rage/choke up a bit inside as I get angry at myself for not trying harder. I then invent a scenario in my head where everyone is more productive and ambitious than me to justify the feeling, and the cycle continues. The scenario sometimes has had quite serious consequences, such as I will assume (without evidence) that a friend of my SO is infinitely more successful and busy than me, and then get my partner to dump me to prove I am not trying hard enough. In the absence of evidence I will if determined, exaggerate aspects of their personality to meet this belief, or completely fabricate aspects of their lifestyle (for example, assume that they are a bodybuilder and very disciplined with their diet who trains harder than me despite the fact they say they admit to eating chocolate almost daily and struggling to stop, or that they lift even if they have never mentioned it). I think I realised this habit yesterday; I thought I simply get jealous of people who are successful, but if I don't know them well and am a bit jealous I can actually make up their life and big them up just so that I can justify the feeling.

In other non-relationship cases it makes me lose sleep or just get very agitated (although if I try not to think about "I should be doing more" then I am OK and can calm down). It's not very productive and in the past has made me a bit ill tbh however I do it anyway.

My most recent moment of this feeling was today, on the way to handing my application form for volunteering. My friend is doing a TEFL starter course this weekend, and texted me a progress update. All of a sudden for some reason, I felt like I should be doing a TEFL this weekend too-but I couldn't be, because I was working on my application forms/handing them in, and had to stay into give my sister a form for her housing application on behalf of my dad, etc.-but I should be doing BOTH! And so that ragey feeling emerges and I get all tense and angry at myself over my inability to be two places at once and reluctance to be super-ambitious and put lots of things on my plate.

Does anybody else relate to this sometimes unwarranted angry feeling of I must do more more MORE, even just a bit?

tl;dr
Reply 2
Original post by frozo123
tl;dr

that really seems unnecessary for the MH forums…tl;dr as phrased per title and last sentence.
yup, but lazy irl
Reply 4
Original post by Anonynous
yup, but lazy irl

can people please stop trolling my MH forum posts
Original post by Riku
can people please stop trolling my MH forum posts

i answered the question set in the 1st paragraph. soz m8
Reply 6
chill Rikster

Quick Reply

Latest