The Student Room Group

Advice on A-Level options?

I'm currently in Year 11 studying for my GCSEs. I'm looking to apply to some different sixth forms in my area and they want some idea of what I'm thinking about taking for A-Level.

I thinking about;

Economics
Maths
Accounting
Spanish

However, none of these subjects are essay based (at least I don't think!) and I'm not sure if any of these are seen as 'soft' or pointless subjects.
Can anyone give me any advice? :frown:
I'm probably looking at going into banking, accounting or something similar in the finance sector.

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Accounting often is not counted as an A level by some university.
If you want to go into accounting maths on its own is enough.

You might want to consider history, English literature, further maths etc.
Reply 2
I've heard that Accounting is supposedly a 'soft' subject, but if it's that what you're interested in, then go for it. It's better to get a good grade in something you enjoy then getting a bad grade in something you don't.
Reply 3
Original post by C0balt
Accounting often is not counted as an A level by some university.
If you want to go into accounting maths on its own is enough.

You might want to consider history, English literature, further maths etc.

I didn't know that! :eek:
Maybe Further Maths might be a better option for me
Reply 4
Original post by amyclaire15
I didn't know that! :eek:
Maybe Further Maths might be a better option for me

If you're confident in your maths then it will be very beneficial. It's very well respected and it's also fun!
But maths A level is quite a bit of step-up people say. So unless you're very strong in maths I wouldn't worry much about further maths - it's by no means a requirement for most of the courses at university (except very top uni maths/physics/engineering course etc). I personally found no step up between IGCSE maths and A level maths or even further maths as of yet 1 month into Year 12 but I don't know enough about you to make a precise recommendation!
Drop either Econ or Accounting and pick up FM. Spanish is a good fourth subjects, languages are always respected.
Original post by loperdoper
Drop either Econ or Accounting and pick up FM. Spanish is a good fourth subjects, languages are always respected.

Econ is always respected aswell.
Drop accounting op.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest