The Student Room Group

Should I go to University?

Hey lovely internet people,

I'm here on The Student Room seeking some objective advice.

It's taken me few jobs and many courses (of which I left) to understand what it was I wanted to do with my life. A few years ago I started an Access to HE course at the London College of Fashion Media and Communications. Unfortunately I suffered some pretty severe depression and missed the hand in date for my extensive report - My teacher knew this and gave me 2 extra weeks to make up, however she failed to fill in the correct paperwork and it meant my extended deadline was invalid and therefor I failed. I was also diagnosed as dyslexic whilst I was there, and without anything but GCSE's I felt dejected and stupid.

Fast forward a few years and I am now a Digital Marketing & Social Media Executive at 21 were I earn decent money and there is a chance of career progression. I love what I've been doing but a part of me really wants to head to University, study hard and graduate. I'd love to prove to my self what I could do if I put my head down and work. I do need to work on my copy writing skills, and spelling and grammar particularly, and I know that I would be supported with this if I went to University as I am dyslexic.

I've been looking at Nottingham Business school for Management with BSc E-Commerce and Digital Business, Nottingham Trent for marketing and possibly Derby for a similar degree. I'd like to keep close to this area, as my long-term partner will be at Nottingham University doing Medicine. Additional things to consider is that I'm a sculler (rowing) and rowing at Nottingham is particularly appealing to me.

Of course I'd need to complete night classes to get a levels around work, however I don't see this to be a problem. I've also listed a few courses I would consider below.

So, thoughts anyone?

Public Relations, Media and Marketing (PP23),
Advertising, Marketing Communication and Public Relations (NPM2)
Communications: Marketing Communications and Public Relations (NP52)
Business, Marketing & Public Relations (NPC2)
Marketing, Advertising & Public Relations (NP5F)
Reply 1
Firstly, A levels aren't your only route in. You're now officially a mature student, so you could try another 1 year Access course. You may find that this is preferred over A Levels by many unis, as it gives a more realistic intro to uni-type study.

My second thought us that if you're in a job you love, then leaving it for the sake of proving a point to yourself, is a risky strategy. These days, having a degree doesn't much improve your job opportunities in many fields as most entrants have them. You might come out with a degree but not be able to get back into employment easily.

Also, going to uni is an expensive undertaking these days and Student Finance may not be enough to cover all of your living costs. Before the age of 25, SF will want to assess you on your parents' income and you'll need to jump through hoops to prove that you've been financially independent.

If all you want to do is prove it to yourself, then it may be worth concentrating on your career, building up some savings and going to uni later in life.
I know its not marketing but it is business and that's accounting. my local college now do a one year AAT fast track which means you are then eligible for the ACA which is done whilst working.

Here is the course I am referring to: http://www.wiltshire.ac.uk/courses/ftcourses14/detail.aspx?ref=FAATACC23 so see if your local colleges do something similar. I'm not sure of the cost, though much less than going to university.

Whilst studying for that, look for a ACA training contract http://www.icaewtrainingvacancies.com/jobs/aat-aca-fast-track/

ACA examinations costs are:

The fees to 31 December 2014 will be:

Annual student fee: £165 (+VAT where applicable)

Certificate Level exam fee: £65 for each exam.

Professional Level exam fee: £85 for each exam.

Advanced Level exam fee: £165 for each Corporate Reporting, Strategic Management and Technical Integration exam and £255 for Case Study exam.

Source: Google. 'ACA costs'

I went to a low ranking university as a mature student (24) and studied business and finding it difficult to get a business related job which is insane to me as I am losing out to physics graduates etc.

Now tuition fees are up to £9000 a year. This might be a much more worthy investment.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by Klix88
Firstly, A levels aren't your only route in. You're now officially a mature student, so you could try another 1 year Access course. You may find that this is preferred over A Levels by many unis, as it gives a more realistic intro to uni-type study.

My second thought us that if you're in a job you love, then leaving it for the sake of proving a point to yourself, is a risky strategy. These days, having a degree doesn't much improve your job opportunities in many fields as most entrants have them. You might come out with a degree but not be able to get back into employment easily.

Also, going to uni is an expensive undertaking these days and Student Finance may not be enough to cover all of your living costs. Before the age of 25, SF will want to assess you on your parents' income and you'll need to jump through hoops to prove that you've been financially independent.

If all you want to do is prove it to yourself, then it may be worth concentrating on your career, building up some savings and going to uni later in life.

My parents actually live abroad and run a charity and I've been finically independent since I was 18 - so in that respect I'm fine. Thanks for the advice though :smile:
You have pretty much missed the boat for access course this year but don't worry you self study the exams at home from comfort of your house and then sit the exams as a private candidate at your local school, college and aim for the June 2015 exams.

If not aim for the open university

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest