The Student Room Group

Do any of you Nigerians (or Africans in General) can't speak your language

I'm having an identity crisis... again :frown:

I can't speak my language, (maybe like 20%) and of recent is bizzarely making me mentally depressed. I'm from Nigeria, Benin city and i see that the bini language is too difficult to even bloody write it, it's not like main nigerian languages like Yoruba or Igbo but the Edo language to me just sounds hard for me to understand

Do any of you fellow nigerians can't speak your language and feel like ****
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I can't but I can understand most of it. I don't really care tbh lol it's my parent's fault, not mine. They never taught me and learning languages hurts my head at my age now...

Yoruba** btw lol
Reply 2
Original post by Youni-chan
I can't but I can understand most of it. I don't really care tbh lol it's my parent's fault, not mine. They never taught me and learning languages hurts my head at my age now...

Yoruba** btw lol

most nigerians blame our parents that its the parent's fault for not teaching their children their language, i think (or maybe in my case) it isn't the parents case, its just our too british brain been stuck in our british accents or something:s-smilie: and yeah learning languages at an older age does become hard lol
Yup my dad speaks Edo and my mum speaks Yoruba but they never taught me either and I see no need to learn now, I understand pidgin anyway so its fine imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4

Yoruba** btw lol

I like languages more now :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by TheDaylighter
Yup my dad speaks Edo and my mum speaks Yoruba but they never taught me either and I see no need to learn now, I understand pidgin anyway so its fine imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

but you can actually get away with it because no other nigerians or relatives will question why you dont speak either.
Original post by O.Ozz
most nigerians blame our parents that its the parent's fault for not teaching their children their language, i think (or maybe in my case) it isn't the parents case, its just our too british brain been stuck in our british accents or something:s-smilie: and yeah learning languages at an older age does become hard lol

But other cultures such as Asian are just fine...most of them can speak their language. They should be talking to us in it at a young age which would allow us to easily learn it as we grow up...but I guess being an english country and Nigeria being somewhat english speaking kinda makes the importance of doing that meh.
Reply 7
But other cultures such as Asian are just fine...most of them can speak their language. They should be talking to us in it at a young age which would allow us to easily learn it as we grow up...but I guess being an english country and Nigeria being somewhat english speaking kinda makes the importance of doing that meh.

my mum bizzarely claims the reason why she didn't speak to me young was because she was scared that i would confuse languages :confused:

I just think nigerians who have moved here take it too personal on british nigerians who don't know their language and this can be embarrasing. I can't even go to my local barbers anymore because me and the barber are from the same tribe and he bullies me to death for my lack of native speaking. painful.
I speak conversational somali

However when I watch somali TV, I literally do not understand anything because of how unadvanced my somali is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Erm not always. Plenty of filipinos born outside of the Philippines doesn't speak the language.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
irritated:frown:
Reply 11
Original post by missfats
I speak conversational somali

However when I watch somali TV, I literally do not understand anything because of how unadvanced my somali is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow, thats quite interesting
I can't speak Ga but my parents can
I am from Ghana

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by O.Ozz
but you can actually get away with it because no other nigerians or relatives will question why you dont speak either.

I do get questioned about it from both sides but its usually in a jokey way so I can just laugh it off. It was horrible when I went to Nigeria and everyone I was introduced expected me to respond to what they were saying and then complain about westernised parents when I said I didn't understand:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by O.Ozz
my mum bizzarely claims the reason why she didn't speak to me young was because she was scared that i would confuse languages :confused:

My mum says this as well, it's really weird:confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by TheDaylighter
I do get questioned about it from both sides but its usually in a jokey way so I can just laugh it off. It was horrible when I went to Nigeria and everyone I was introduced expected me to respond to what they were saying and then complain about westernised parents when I said I didn't understand:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I went to nigeria this year and felt evils everywhere, they kept on bullying my parents why i didn't speak my language. They couldn't even understand my british accent so i had to force myself at times to speak broken english so that they can understand.
Original post by O.Ozz
I went to nigeria this year and felt evils everywhere, they kept on bullying my parents why i didn't speak my language. They couldn't even understand my british accent so i had to force myself at times to speak broken english so that they can understand.

Yeah I feel you, it was the same here. You wouldn't think English was the national language:rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Learn some English, Spanish and Mandarin. They'll be of far more use to you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
What a waste of resources teaching you these stupid languages.

Learn some English, Spanish and Mandarin. They'll be of far more use to you.

How is it stupid to learn your own mother tongue language? It is very embarrassing when you go to these countries and fail to speak the language
Original post by Black Cat
How is it stupid to learn your own mother tongue language? It is very embarrassing when you go to these countries and fail to speak the language

We live in a globalized world, one country languages are pointless.

That maybe so, but English will get you further in this world and that's what matters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending