The Student Room Group

Name the best book to film adaptations

Gone Girl makes yet another book adaptation to be converted into a film.

Any other ideas of books that have actually been made into a decent film?

Personally I love the newest film adaptation of Jane Eyre (with Fassbender).

Scroll to see replies

Harry Potter series
Reply 2
Deathly Hallows is probably my favourite. Jurassic Park was great too, though I haven't read the book and hear it's different.
Reply 3
The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Can't say the same about The Hobbit movies though :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
The Bourne films are up there for me.
Original post by Spock's Socks
The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Can't say the same about The Hobbit movies though :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know they are drastically different but do you not like the Hobbit films at all?! The book is wonderful but I thought Cumberbatch was fantastic as the dragon!
The Lord of the Rings trilogy (althought it loses points for not having the houses of healing scene in the last film).

Hobbit films are alright for the most part, I appreciate that they are putting in stuff from the expanded universe to tie the relevence of the events in the hobbit to lotr. What is bloody terrible is that they introduce a female elf (this is a good thing as there are no female characters in the hobbit) then instantly put her in a love triangle... (seriously peter jackson?! wtf?). Smaug is amazing.

Harry Potter minus films 3 and 5. PoA missed one of the major plot points of the filmand arguably the whole series (that Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs are Lupin, Peter, Sirius and James) and OotP misses loads out (can be forgiven a bit as its the longest book of all of them) but whoever told Daniel Radcliffe to act as if Harry is about to burst into tears half the time was obviously high.

The Godfather 1 and 2. Damn near perfect translation from book to film.
Original post by Gwilym101
What is bloody terrible is that they introduce a female elf (this is a good thing as there are no female characters in the hobbit) then instantly put her in a love triangle... (seriously peter jackson?! wtf?). Smaug is amazing.

Completely agree with this. She is a powerful female elf who can fight and yet she must be torn between love interests. Will this ever change?!
Original post by Queen Cersei
Completely agree with this. She is a powerful female elf who can fight and yet she must be torn between love interests. Will this ever change?!

Especially as anyone whose read the book knows what will happen to the love triangle.

They made Arwen badass in the film and that was such a good way of introducing her, then they managed to keep her as a relevent driving force for Aragorn. This was done much better than in the books themselves where she's mentioned a handful of times and basically just sits there looking pretty.

Another great film adaptation.

Interview with a Vampire. Kirsten Dunst as a child vampire was damn near perfect and one of the highlights of the film (also one of the few films were the kid is not just annoying).
Reply 9
The Hobbit films are rubbish.
Reply 10
Let the Right One in , Clockwork Orange , plenty more I just cant seem to think of them right now . Its only in the last decade or two that film adaptations are notably worse then the books , i've found.
(edited 9 years ago)
Agree with Lord of the Rings. Simply masterful.
The hunger games :yep:
Reply 13
Favourite's probably Blade Runner or The Big Sleep. Wouldn't be surprised if some of my favourite films are based on novels unknowingly though.
harry potter and the hunger games
Reply 15
The Shining, Psycho, Fight Club and The Godfather Parts I and II.
Oh also Salem's Lot and Misery.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Queen Cersei
I know they are drastically different but do you not like the Hobbit films at all?! The book is wonderful but I thought Cumberbatch was fantastic as the dragon!

The first one was ok imo but nothing special and I thought the second one was awful so I don't know if I will bother with the last one. I probably will but won't go to the cinema to see it. Yeah the book is good. I agree about Benedict. He was one good thing about the hobbit films :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Catching fire was pretty good, wonder what Mockinjay has in store for us.
Original post by beautifulxxx
Catching fire was pretty good, wonder what Mockinjay has in store for us.

More cliched nonsense probably.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending