The Student Room Group

Can you get out of Shorthold tenancy agreement?

Hey :smile:

I moved into private accommodation in the middle of September but was unsure whether I really wanted to start uni this year. It was a last minute decision to book and because I was uncertain I decided to take advantage of the management's 7 day cancellation policy. However, this failed, as I tried to contact a falsely advertised contact no (which was confirmed and apologised for), the enquiry page on the website (with no answer) and several advertised e-mails to which I either had no reply or received a return message stating that the address was invalid. I decided to just go ahead and stupidly paid the first instalment!:mad:

The first few days were terrible with hugely inconsiderate neighbours! As well as living in one of the worst areas I've seen (and i'm from Middlesbrough!). I knew uni right now wasn't for me, so before I got myself into debt I withdrew. After further failed attempts with the manager, I got passed on to another random representative who's email was ALSO invalid, so I had to look through ads on google to try and get in touch. I explained the situation and referred to the section of the tenancy agreement which states 'Letting agent may terminate the tenancy period early by giving at least 2 months prior written notice to the tenant if, I cease to be a student in higher education; and the circumstances in section 21 of the housing act 1988 apply'. Surely this is my situation?! But the lady is insistent that I uphold the agreement until they replace me.

It just astounds me that if I were being a complete douche or taking drugs theyd just kick me out, but being honest actually costs you more.
I also have the only signed copy of this agreement...not sure if that makes any difference.

Anyway, rant much!! Any help/advice would be greaaatly appreciated! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending