The Student Room Group

University Interview & Certificates

Do universities request to see some certificates (such as any awards stated in personal statement, GCSE, A Levels if on a gap year, etc) when a interview is given?

Is it necessary or do they already get your actual grades from UCAS?
Original post by HassanD
Do universities request to see some certificates (such as any awards stated in personal statement, GCSE, A Levels if on a gap year, etc) when a interview is given?

Is it necessary or do they already get your actual grades from UCAS?

Some will and some wont. It depends entirely on the universities set up and which documents they need to check at which stage.

Depending on the route you apply through then it is possible that they wont ask for certificates at all. However if you're applying on a gap year you would usually need to provide your certificates when you enrol at the latest (and many universities will ask for evidence earlier).

Don't be tempted to put something down that you cannot provide proof for. If you have lost or never received your certificates then contact the exam boards NOW to get copies - don't wait until you're asked for them.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Some will and some wont. It depends entirely on the universities set up and which documents they need to check at which stage.

Depending on the route you apply through then it is possible that they wont ask for certificates at all. However if you're applying on a gap year you would usually need to provide your certificates when you enrol at the latest (and many universities will ask for evidence earlier).

Don't be tempted to put something down that you cannot provide proof for. If you have lost or never received your certificates then contact the exam boards NOW to get copies - don't wait until you're asked for them.

I still haven't received my A2 certificates and don't know when I will. What happens if the sixth form doesn't give out the certificates during the start of the term? Yeah, I am not gonna lie on my application haha.

Do they ask for certificates for other things such as Duke of Edinburgh, peer mentoring and other extra curricular activities?
Original post by HassanD
I still haven't received my A2 certificates and don't know when I will. What happens if the sixth form doesn't give out the certificates during the start of the term? Yeah, I am not gonna lie on my application haha.

Do they ask for certificates for other things such as Duke of Edinburgh, peer mentoring and other extra curricular activities?

If your sixth form haven't yet given out certificates then pester them to find out when they'll be available. We have applicants on TSR every year panicking because they have lost or didn't bother to collect their certificates and it takes a few weeks or longer (and costs money!) to get copies from the exam board.

Basically make sure you know when you'll get certificates, how you'll get them and once you've got them keep them somewhere safe where you can find them!

Extra curriculars - aren't asked for as standard but might be looked into. TBH if there is any suspicion around your ECs the first thing a university will do will be to approach your referee so you are best to just make sure your referee is aware of your ECs as mentioned in your PS.

As with certificates - it makes sense to have a place where you keep this sort of information. Back in the mists of time when I was at school we got given a Record of Achievement folder which was pretty useless for most things but handy to keep this sort of stuff in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending