The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Does anyone else hate England?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chillaxer
And want to emigrate. For various personal reasons, I've come to the conclusion that I hate the place. I'm not expecting utopia anywhere, I'm not an idiot. But there's something I've encountered with authority, and power, the way I think this country is corrupted and people are so inculcated, the way it will never change whilst seeming progressive on one level, and the way it will sap joy and humanity out of your life.

I alos think there's a generational war too, and the disciples of Thatcher, the generation above me, seem to want to bleed everyone dry.

Very miserable place.

People are what makes a happy place :u:, whether it's work or class. What you're complaining about are the personalities of people who surround you and in the culture of British society.
I don't hate England.

I have had guaranteed free education until the age of nineteen (disregarding university), access to a healthcare system that treats based on care as opposed to my economic status (the NHS remains to be one of the things I love most about England). As a woman and someone who identifies as queer, I have a lot of rights other people with those identities in other countries, unfortunately, don't.

While there are many things I'd change, I feel extremely privileged to have had the opportunity to be brought up in a country like this and, if I had the choice, I'm pretty certain I'd choose England again. :yep:
Despite the weather, some people and some food - England is great and we are incredibly fortunate to be living here.
Could use a general reform of welfare, using expenditure on free university education and rebuilding families instead of governing in the interests of private interests, would like to see government funding business / culture and working more like unions.

Other than that, it's a good place to live if you stay away from the chavs.
I don't hate England. I love England,

But I'm still considering emigrating in a few years, it's a toss-up between Iceland or Canada.
Reply 145
I am grateful to be living in England as I am not a person to be so ungrateful. But sometimes it is quite depressing due to the weather.
I think this country is great, free healthcare, no conscription, no capital punishment, homosexuality and transgenderism legal, reasonable taxes, moderate politics, legal prostitution, social housing, effective law enforcement, safe roads, low levels of racism and sexism, subsidized education, good economy, decent transport system. As much as I can't stand the people and weather I can't fault the country itself.

Even so if you feel like you don't fit in you feel like you don't fit in. This is very important and telling somewhere "it's better than Africa" won't make this go away. As I said the country is extremely well run and free but I feel that everyone is cold and unfriendly towards me which is why I personally would consider moving. Not sure exactly what OP's reasons are but I can understand.
I love Uk and will always do
Stop being Grumpy old sorts. I love Uk

Please respect this country when you are here. Work hard and pay your f*** taxes and shut the hell up.
I reserve my strongest contempt for the slang and food.
I hate modern British culture, not the actual country

Work 40 hours in an office,
live on tesco sandwiches,
gossip about the football, the neighbours, the weather,
go out drinking on the weekend.

It's a miserable, nihilistic life
No one hates England more than the English. Why else would they vote for Brexit???
Original post by Chillaxer
And want to emigrate. For various personal reasons, I've come to the conclusion that I hate the place. I'm not expecting utopia anywhere, I'm not an idiot. But there's something I've encountered with authority, and power, the way I think this country is corrupted and people are so inculcated, the way it will never change whilst seeming progressive on one level, and the way it will sap joy and humanity out of your life.

I alos think there's a generational war too, and the disciples of Thatcher, the generation above me, seem to want to bleed everyone dry.

Very miserable place.

Every single day I feel getting out of this hell hole. I live in London and hate it most.
If you really wish an unpleasant opinion about UK, here's something from my
acquaintance who came back from UK a few months ago:

"Entire general knowledge of an average Englishman can be written on two pages of Daily Mirror with lots of photos on both. Rats can be met on streets, the food is below any criticism, and their doctors can only prescribe Paracetamol for every illness. This pseudo-country is a joke, and I'm glad I'm no longer there."
Original post by Lh030396
No one hates England more than the English. Why else would they vote for Brexit???

To stop foreigners coming in and the start whining- my motto is if you have came to england and you do not like it f**k off back to where you came from.
Reply 155
Original post by Therec00

And how many people that live and die in squalor and filth slaving away for a pittance would trade their life for yours right now. 40 hours a week? Oh thats only 128 to do whatever you want with then! Take a look at what you've got pal.
Original post by Therec00

No one forces you to live that way.
I hate what its becoming. Theresa May and her 'country that works for all' is complete BS, its just getting harder for normal people. And I hate how divided the country is and can't go a day without hearing about brexit. I don't care anymore, the country voted leave so just let the government get on with it and stop moaning, the country will be less miserable and better to live in.
Original post by aliman65
England is depressing. It is grey most year round. Want to live somewhere sunny.

Pretty much this. It was sunny for about three quarters of the past 3/4 weeks and never rained once until the weekend, and it was so much better. Grey (especially grey and wet) is so :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:ing depressing, most countries in around this lattitude have to deal with it, but they are usually compensated by much nicer spring and summers than here. I could deal with 4, maybe even 5 months for depressing cold, grey and wetness from late October through to March if there was light at then end of that tunnel of depression, the light being consistant temperature maximums in the mid-teens in Spring, high teens in summer, with the majority of them being sunny days. Sadly that is not a thing the UK ever sees, instead it is usually grey, cold, and wet until about May (minus a 2-3 weeks of accumulaed warm sunny days between March-May), then the sunny days usually stop after June and it is warm and grey, often wet for July and August until September/October when it can be sunny again but too cold to give much of a :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:.

PS, be grateful for something at least, England is like hte south of France compared to Ireland and Scotland.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AuldReekie123
I hate the UK. I was wanting the referendum to pass in order to start something new.

England is a decaying post imperial power with massive social problems. So happy to be festooned to it.

It's not a safe place to raise children either, Rotherham and the establishment abuse proves that.

Yes it has nothing to do with the overwhelming majority of english paedos and molesters at all...just the asian ones ffs

Latest

Trending

Trending