The Student Room Group

IB subject choices- advice?

Hi!

I'm in y11 and being asked to choose my IB subjects.
I'm thinking of:
Maths HL
Physics HL
History HL
English A1 SL
Spanish B SL
Economics SL

I want to study something psychology/cognitive sciences related at uni.
If anyone knows anything about this combination or the individual subjects and levels, any advice/warnings/anecdotes would be really useful!

Thanks
Rx
You're subjects are almost the same as mine right now. They're pretty solid. However as you're planning to do something related to psychology/cognitive sciences, i recommend swapping Physics for Chemistry. Chemistry and Maths can take you to almost anywhere.
Hi, I take Math HL Physics HL and Chemistry HL. Im taking the november exams next week.
If psychology is what you want to study, maybe change physics to biology or chemistry, and take psychology instead of history.
That should be more suited, i think.
Reply 3
Maths HL is a great choice for psychology. I agree with the above posters, Physics HL is not really the most relevant and you might find biology or chemistry more useful. However, it is really important to choose the subjects you enjoy the most, rather the ones you feel you should take, as you will only get through the IB sane if you enjoy your subjects!
Also be aware that all three HLs you have chosen are notoriously difficult, only take Maths HL if you feel maths comes naturally to you. If you struggle at all in maths, stick to it at SL, you will still be challenged and it is more than a high enough level to lead to psychology.
I'd also consider doing two sciences rather than two humanities, as this is what a lot of top unis look for in psychology (in the UK).
Good luck with whatever you choose!
Reply 4
Original post by Neverme
Maths HL is a great choice for psychology. I agree with the above posters, Physics HL is not really the most relevant and you might find biology or chemistry more useful. However, it is really important to choose the subjects you enjoy the most, rather the ones you feel you should take, as you will only get through the IB sane if you enjoy your subjects!
Also be aware that all three HLs you have chosen are notoriously difficult, only take Maths HL if you feel maths comes naturally to you. If you struggle at all in maths, stick to it at SL, you will still be challenged and it is more than a high enough level to lead to psychology.
I'd also consider doing two sciences rather than two humanities, as this is what a lot of top unis look for in psychology (in the UK).
Good luck with whatever you choose!

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for all your advice. I've been thinking hard about what you've said and, even though I appreciate your help, I think I'm going to stick with my choices. I've pretty much always enjoyed physics, but right now I can't wait to give up chemistry and biology, they've never really been my thing... I was going to do biology for quite a while, but then one of my teachers told me that most of the reason universities wanted it was for the knowledge of scientific procedure, not the material itself, so I could do physics instead- and I was so delighted and relieved at that that I knew physics was probably the right choice. Anyway, I reckon I'd look more impressive to unis with a 6 in Physics than a 4 in Chem/Bio...
My school doesn't offer psychology- but I've always loved history, so I wanted to do that. Ditto with Economics. I know Maths is hard, but I've been talking to people- students and teachers- and I think I can handle it.
My question now is- please can you tell me more about the Maths, Physics and History curricula, and what is hard about them? That would be really useful, so I know what I'm getting into. Thank you so much again!
Rxx :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Romula
Hi everyone! Thanks so much for all your advice. I've been thinking hard about what you've said and, even though I appreciate your help, I think I'm going to stick with my choices. I've pretty much always enjoyed physics, but right now I can't wait to give up chemistry and biology, they've never really been my thing... I was going to do biology for quite a while, but then one of my teachers told me that most of the reason universities wanted it was for the knowledge of scientific procedure, not the material itself, so I could do physics instead- and I was so delighted and relieved at that that I knew physics was probably the right choice. Anyway, I reckon I'd look more impressive to unis with a 6 in Physics than a 4 in Chem/Bio...
My school doesn't offer psychology- but I've always loved history, so I wanted to do that. Ditto with Economics. I know Maths is hard, but I've been talking to people- students and teachers- and I think I can handle it.
My question now is- please can you tell me more about the Maths, Physics and History curricula, and what is hard about them? That would be really useful, so I know what I'm getting into. Thank you so much again!
Rxx :biggrin:

You're reasoning sounds absolutely fine so you should stick to those choices :smile: I can only speak for Maths and History, but I take both at SL, not HL. Maths is hard because it requires you to actually think and understand complex mathematical concepts, rather than just applying the same concept to different problems as we did in IGCSE maths. You need to be a mathematical thinker to do well.
History is difficult because there is a lot of content to learn. As well as being a good memoriser, however, you also have to be able to construct strong arguments and write concise yet thorough essays under a lot of time pressure. Furthermore, as in any essay subject, the marking is quite subjective.
Reply 6
Original post by Neverme
You're reasoning sounds absolutely fine so you should stick to those choices :smile: I can only speak for Maths and History, but I take both at SL, not HL. Maths is hard because it requires you to actually think and understand complex mathematical concepts, rather than just applying the same concept to different problems as we did in IGCSE maths. You need to be a mathematical thinker to do well.
History is difficult because there is a lot of content to learn. As well as being a good memoriser, however, you also have to be able to construct strong arguments and write concise yet thorough essays under a lot of time pressure. Furthermore, as in any essay subject, the marking is quite subjective.

Thanks! That all sounds good- I quite like essays, and I always hated how in GCSE maths they were like, no, don't try to understand it, just answer the questions and get the marks... (I'm doing FSMQ maths now.) If you don't mind me asking, what subjects did you do, and what uni course are you aiming for? Just to get a feel for how other people make these choices.... Of course don't answer if you don't want to, it's a personal question Thanks so much! Rx
Reply 7
Original post by Romula
Thanks! That all sounds good- I quite like essays, and I always hated how in GCSE maths they were like, no, don't try to understand it, just answer the questions and get the marks... (I'm doing FSMQ maths now.) If you don't mind me asking, what subjects did you do, and what uni course are you aiming for? Just to get a feel for how other people make these choices.... Of course don't answer if you don't want to, it's a personal question Thanks so much! Rx

No problem! I got a lot of help on here when I was making these choices so I'm more than happy to pass on the favour :smile:
I take Bio, Chem, English Lit HL and Maths, History and French B SL. I've applied for Psychology at Cambridge, Edinburgh and St Andrews, Natural Sciences at Durham, and Arts and Sciences with Study Abroad at UCL.
Reply 8
Original post by Neverme
No problem! I got a lot of help on here when I was making these choices so I'm more than happy to pass on the favour :smile:
I take Bio, Chem, English Lit HL and Maths, History and French B SL. I've applied for Psychology at Cambridge, Edinburgh and St Andrews, Natural Sciences at Durham, and Arts and Sciences with Study Abroad at UCL.

Oh, that sounds great... I would do pretty much exactly the same (there's a course called Human Evolutionary Sciences at UCL that I would love to do). Your subjects seem like a much more natural fit for Psychology than mine do- but the courses I've looked at ask for two of Bio, Chem, Maths and Phys at HL/AL (apart from Cambridge, which obviously wants Bio/Maths HL) so theoretically mine could be accepted...

Sorry, just worrying out loud here.

Last question, sorry- given that I'm not taking normal subjects for this course, what extracurricular activities/reading/pretty much anything would show that I have the skills and dedication required to study Psychology? If you know.

Thanks so much for all of your help, sorry to bother you again, good luck with all your subjects :smile: Rx
Reply 9
Original post by Romula
Oh, that sounds great... I would do pretty much exactly the same (there's a course called Human Evolutionary Sciences at UCL that I would love to do). Your subjects seem like a much more natural fit for Psychology than mine do- but the courses I've looked at ask for two of Bio, Chem, Maths and Phys at HL/AL (apart from Cambridge, which obviously wants Bio/Maths HL) so theoretically mine could be accepted...

Sorry, just worrying out loud here.

Last question, sorry- given that I'm not taking normal subjects for this course, what extracurricular activities/reading/pretty much anything would show that I have the skills and dedication required to study Psychology? If you know.

Thanks so much for all of your help, sorry to bother you again, good luck with all your subjects :smile: Rx

Don't worry at all! Your subject choices are fine :smile: You'd could also be accepted at Cambridge, as many of the colleges don't have any required subjects :smile:
You could try to find a week of work experience at a neuroscience/psychology lab - I used this to show that I understand the scientific nature of psychology in my PS, but I know this can be quite difficult to arrange. Finding interesting books about psychology to read is fairly easy. Starting with 'pop psychology' books is fine, contrary to what some people say, as these can help you find what you're interested in and lead you on to some of the more 'serious'/'academic' stuff. For example, reading 'Quiet' by Susan Cain made me realise how interested I am in personality psychology, so I then read some of Kagan and Aron's works.

It's no problem at all! Feel free to ask me any more questions you have when they come up :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Neverme
Don't worry at all! Your subject choices are fine :smile: You'd could also be accepted at Cambridge, as many of the colleges don't have any required subjects :smile:
You could try to find a week of work experience at a neuroscience/psychology lab - I used this to show that I understand the scientific nature of psychology in my PS, but I know this can be quite difficult to arrange. Finding interesting books about psychology to read is fairly easy. Starting with 'pop psychology' books is fine, contrary to what some people say, as these can help you find what you're interested in and lead you on to some of the more 'serious'/'academic' stuff. For example, reading 'Quiet' by Susan Cain made me realise how interested I am in personality psychology, so I then read some of Kagan and Aron's works.

It's no problem at all! Feel free to ask me any more questions you have when they come up :smile:

Thanks so much that's so useful! :smile: I've read Pinker, going to read Kahneman, thank you for your recommendations as well.... 😁

I lied. I do have one more question.

If I can't get work experience that is ostentatiously psychology-related (ie. lab work) are there any other forms of work experience that I should go for that would look good psychology-wise?

Thank you so much again for everything Rx
Original post by Romula
Thanks so much that's so useful! :smile: I've read Pinker, going to read Kahneman, thank you for your recommendations as well.... ������

I lied. I do have one more question.

If I can't get work experience that is ostentatiously psychology-related (ie. lab work) are there any other forms of work experience that I should go for that would look good psychology-wise?

Thank you so much again for everything Rx

A lot of people worry about getting psychology-related work experience, but it is of course extremely difficult as psychologists work in environments in which confidentiality is of utmost importance.
Furthermore, psychology at an undergrad level is not a vocational course (in fact, the vast majority of psychology graduates go on to work in jobs that are not directly related to psychology), so work experience is not really expected by unis.
The only thing I can think of to recommend is maybe doing some work experience with children with special needs or something like that. But overall, I wouldn't worry about work experience and instead focus on reading and finding out as much as you can about the subject :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Neverme
A lot of people worry about getting psychology-related work experience, but it is of course extremely difficult as psychologists work in environments in which confidentiality is of utmost importance.
Furthermore, psychology at an undergrad level is not a vocational course (in fact, the vast majority of psychology graduates go on to work in jobs that are not directly related to psychology), so work experience is not really expected by unis.
The only thing I can think of to recommend is maybe doing some work experience with children with special needs or something like that. But overall, I wouldn't worry about work experience and instead focus on reading and finding out as much as you can about the subject :smile:

Thanks so much for your help! Will definitely take all your recommendations. Good luck with your applications, hope everything goes well for you! Rx 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending