The Student Room Group

Indices final form.

Hi there just a quick one on the marking scheme for AS C1.

If I get a question saying evaluate lets say for example:

(2 10/27 ) ^ -4/3

and after converting it too a top heavy fraction and getting the result of 256/81 would I get marked down for leaving it in that form or should I then reconvert it back into 3 13/81 or does it not matter?

Thanks

Steve
Reply 1
Original post by Bysteven
Hi there just a quick one on the marking scheme for AS C1.

If I get a question saying evaluate lets say for example:

(2 10/27 ) ^ -4/3

and after converting it too a top heavy fraction and getting the result of 256/81 would I get marked down for leaving it in that form or should I then reconvert it back into 3 13/81 or does it not matter?

Thanks

Steve

(2627)4/3=81256\left( \dfrac{2^6}{27} \right) ^{-4/3} = \dfrac{81}{256}.

I'm not sure what you question was supposed to say.

But the main point is I suppose that there's nothing wrong with improper fractions.
Reply 2
Oh. Got it.
Reply 3
Thanks thats a relief :smile: I just would hate to have the answer but not be given the full mark for it not being in the 'perceived' correct form if you get what I mean :smile:
Sorry that I don't know how to write fractions out, I sort of had to juggle superscript and subscript.

Thanks for your help, I thumbsed up (Y)
Reply 4
or is it thumbs'd :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by Bysteven
Thanks thats a relief :smile: I just would hate to have the answer but not be given the full mark for it not being in the 'perceived' correct form if you get what I mean :smile:
Sorry that I don't know how to write fractions out, I sort of had to juggle superscript and subscript.

Thanks for your help, I thumbsed up (Y)

Hover over the maths (or quote) to see how it's done.

\frac{2}{3} gives 23\frac{2}{3}.

See the brief introduction to LaTeX in this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=403989

Quick Reply

Latest