The Student Room Group

Feeling isolated/not many friends 3rd week of uni?

Ok, um, I don't know, I'm kind of just throwing this out there as some kind of a gauge.

I'm in my third week at UEA and I'm feeling pretty isolated. I've made friends with a few in my flat, one of whom I get on super well with but we don't see all that much of each other. My course is english and creative writing which has like 7 contact hours a week, making it difficult to make course friends. I've talked to people, but it's usually just the once and fairly casual where do you come from type questions. I've joined a bunch of societies too but most of them seem to know each other already and I feel like an outsider in most of them.

Basically, I just wanted to know if I'm worrying about this for no reason. Does it take longer to make proper friends, in your experience? Or am I doing something wrong? It doesn't help that I'm originally from Ireland so all my family and friends are very far away right now. I don't know. I am Groot.
(edited 9 years ago)
It ALWAYS takes a long time to make friends. You can't just magically have a connection.
Try like asking them questions out of the blue, it'll be weird but you'll get a convo going and then they'll tell the story of "remember when we first talked properly and you just asked me a random question". Just go for it.
Ask them about hobbies, experiences, opinions basically anything to get a convo going.

Don't worry so much :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending