The Student Room Group
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London

London Metropolitan University - Official Q&A

Hello,

This is London Met’s official thread for you to ask any questions you have about university life: whether you want to know something about one of our courses, or to discuss any concerns you have about student finance or moving away from home, we’d like to help.

Whether you’re a current student or considering your higher education options, feel free to ask your question, no matter how big or small it is. We’ll chip into your conversations and answer your questions as often as we can.

We look forward to hearing from you! :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hello everybody, I figured that this might be a good location to post about a volunteering opportunity that's coming up for our students. Here's the information I have about it:
Participate in the preparation and delivery of an event in the university, valuable experience in Marketing, PR and Events Management.

Suggested Activities

Meeting and greeting exhibitors
Setting up stands
Encouraging students to provide feedback by filling out feedback forms
Collect feedback from attendees and exhibitors
Usher exhibitors to their stalls and hand out promotional materials.

Looking for volunteers who will be available from 10am-3pm. If you can't volunteer from 10am-3pm but can still spare some time between those hours, we would still like to hear from you!

NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY! We're looking for enthusiastic volunteers. Customer service experience desirable.

Refreshments will be offered. Unfortunately, we cannot reimburse travel expenses.

Interested? Comment below or e-mail [email protected]

Also, please do ask any questions you might have about uni, or anything course related or student finance and I'll be happy to help!

Cheers,
Simon
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London
This should be fun.
Reply 3
Hello Simon,

I am interested in starting the Master's program in Digital Media in September 2015 but am not sure if I should study full-time or part-time. On the one hand I would like to work full-time at the same time, on the other hand I have been told that there are also courses during the day within the part-time program.

Therefore I have a couple of questions regarding the timetable:
- How many hours do students in this program usually spend in class/lecturers/workshops during the day?
- Are there also evening classes?
- Are there classes at the weekend?
- Is it possible to attend evening and weekend classes only?
- How many hours do students work during the program on average?
- What is the actual difference between the full-time and part-time (hours per week, daytime)?

I am looking forward to your feedback!

Thank you very much in advance.

Cheers,

Vera
Original post by Vera_DM
Hello Simon,

I am interested in starting the Master's program in Digital Media in September 2015 but am not sure if I should study full-time or part-time. On the one hand I would like to work full-time at the same time, on the other hand I have been told that there are also courses during the day within the part-time program.

Therefore I have a couple of questions regarding the timetable:
- How many hours do students in this program usually spend in class/lecturers/workshops during the day?
- Are there also evening classes?
- Are there classes at the weekend?
- Is it possible to attend evening and weekend classes only?
- How many hours do students work during the program on average?
- What is the actual difference between the full-time and part-time (hours per week, daytime)?

I am looking forward to your feedback!

Thank you very much in advance.

Cheers,

Vera

Hello Vera,

Thanks for getting in touch.

Firstly, just as a personal aside, I am currently doing a full-time Master's course here and am managing to work a fair few hours each week, alongside the course, so it is possible to do. However, I am quite lucky that I have two zero-hour contract jobs (one day and one nights) that appreciate that I prioritise my study and let me pick and choose shifts on a week-by-week basis: I think I'd struggle if they weren't so flexible.

This may not be that helpful for you, depending on your circumstances, but I know some of my course mates have had their PG course 'sponsored' by their employer and they work full time and get 'study days' off to help them dedicate enough time to the course. They also get money for books and stuff from their employer, this is a pretty good deal if you can get it (although I suspect that these guys are lucky and it's not going to be available to everyone).

Ok, now to answer your questions explicitly:

1. This is a link to information about the MA in Digital Media. This includes a copy of the timetable for the students in this year's intake. Please be aware that this is subject to change and may be slightly different next year.
Also, the course is comprised of 3 compulsory modules and 4 electives, which you can choose from the modules marked 'optional'. It might be worth noting that if you have inflexible work commitments you may lose out on being able to choose your preferred modules.

2. Currently two of the optional modules run in the evenings, of course this may not be the case next year (although I personally suspect it will be a similar number).

3. Ordinarily we wouldn't run classes at the weekend.

4. Unfortunately that wouldn't be possible with this current timetable as the core modules run during the day.

5. I suppose really that depends from student to student- I know that one of my lecturers is extremely fond of saying that for every hour we spend with him in seminars and lectures we should be doing 3 hours work/reading outside the classroom. A bit woolly, I know but hopefully that gives you a bit of an indication.

6. The full-time course would follow the structure detailed in the timetable with all the modules you needed to do running simultaneously, whereas part-time you have between 2 and 6 years to achieve all the credits you need. Therefore, if you chose part-time it would be possible for you to do just one module a term, if you wanted to.

I hope that helps and answers all of your questions. If you want to know anything please let me know. Let me know how it goes!

Best wishes,

Simon
Reply 5
Hello Simon,

Thank you very much for your quick and comprehensive response which is very helpful for me!

Cheers,

Vera
Original post by Vera_DM
Hello Simon,

Thank you very much for your quick and comprehensive response which is very helpful for me!

Cheers,

Vera

You're very welcome, Vera. :crown:

Also, something I've just been made aware of that might be useful for you to pop along to: we're having a post-graduate open day on the 3rd of December, where you can meet potential lecturers/course leaders, see the campus etc. Obviously it's not essential but, I think, potentially interesting. You have to book and that can be done here.

Good luck making your decision! :h:

Simon
Hello Simon,

I am attending an Interview day at london met in a few days and I am really nervous about the kind of questions i will be asked, how should I prepare?
I will be looking forward to your reply.

P.s- I've applied for interior architecture and design.

Thank You
Hana
Reply 8
Hi every one i am looking for a product designer can any one help?
Original post by hanziiee123
Hello Simon,

I am attending an Interview day at london met in a few days and I am really nervous about the kind of questions i will be asked, how should I prepare?

Thank You
Hana

hi, i'm going for a product design interview tomorrow! at a different uni though and don't panic! ask your friends, family and teachers to do a moc interview with you, thats what made me more confident, also i've been told that the interviews for unis are generally very relaxed so don't worry. A few questions you may be asked are, to talk about yourself, why you chose that course, why you want to go to that uni, when did you become interested in design, how does your current studies link to design and then something different like if you were given £10,000 to design and create anything what would you design and why? oh and make sure you know the course! read about it on the unis website.
i hope this helped and good luck! im sure you will do great.
Original post by hanziiee123
Hello Simon,

Thank You
Hana

Hello Hana,

Firstly congratulations on being called to interview. Secondly, a lot of Charlotte's advice is spot on: definitely try and do a few 'mock interviews'. If you can't get anyone to run it through with you, then I'd recommend practicing out-loud on your own. I think that actually speaking your thoughts helps to clarify what you want to say and will help you to feel more confident in the interview.

Try not to be nervous (easier said than done, I know). Remember the purpose of the interview is to assess your potential and your ability to benefit from the course: we are not looking for perfection, simply that you are enthusiastic, considered and at the right starting point.

As this is a portfolio interview I'd say that some really beneficial prep you can do is to familiarise yourself with the work you are submitting: what techniques did you use, why did you make those decisions, what were you trying to convey, how do the pieces make you feel, if you could submit the portfolio again would you change anything...etc.

(It's probably worth saying at this stage that I have not been in an interview exactly like this one so these are not necessarily the exact questions you'll be asked but I think they are a useful starting point).

Also remember that an interview is a dialogue so don't be afraid to simply engage in the conversation with your interviewer: their job is to help you discuss your work and your reasons for applying, not to make you feel uncomfortable and to austerely take notes! As I briefly mentioned earlier one of the most important things we will be looking for is your enthusiasm for the course. Consequently, in your shoes I would definitely rehearse answers to questions like "why do you want to study architecture and design?" and "what are the sorts of things that interest you about the course?" and "what do you hope to get from/do after the degree?". Another great way to demonstrate enthusiasm is to show you're interested in the subject and to be aware of some of the things that are going on in the world of architecture at the moment, and bring in some up to date name dropping etc. A good starting point would be to look at things like the RIBA Annie Spink award winners (the architecture equivalent of the Oscars) and read up a little on them.

I hope some of that helps and I wish you the very best of luck (not that you'll need it :wink:). Please do let me know how it goes, and feel free to ask me any more questions you might have!

Kind regards,
Simon
Original post by Charlottemay97
hi, i'm going for a product design interview tomorrow! at a different uni though and don't panic! ask your friends, family and teachers to do a moc interview with you, thats what made me more confident, also i've been told that the interviews for unis are generally very relaxed so don't worry. A few questions you may be asked are, to talk about yourself, why you chose that course, why you want to go to that uni, when did you become interested in design, how does your current studies link to design and then something different like if you were given £10,000 to design and create anything what would you design and why? oh and make sure you know the course! read about it on the unis website.
i hope this helped and good luck! im sure you will do great.

Hey, Charlotte

Thank soo much, your reply was very helpful and I feel alot more confident. OMG my Interview is tomorrow aswell.
Good luck on yours. Hope you ace it :biggrin:
Original post by London Metropolitan University
Hello Hana,

Firstly congratulations on being called to interview. Secondly, a lot of Charlotte's advice is spot on: definitely try and do a few 'mock interviews'. If you can't get anyone to run it through with you, then I'd recommend practicing out-loud on your own. I think that actually speaking your thoughts helps to clarify what you want to say and will help you to feel more confident in the interview.

Try not to be nervous (easier said than done, I know). Remember the purpose of the interview is to assess your potential and your ability to benefit from the course: we are not looking for perfection, simply that you are enthusiastic, considered and at the right starting point.

As this is a portfolio interview I'd say that some really beneficial prep you can do is to familiarise yourself with the work you are submitting: what techniques did you use, why did you make those decisions, what were you trying to convey, how do the pieces make you feel, if you could submit the portfolio again would you change anything...etc.

(It's probably worth saying at this stage that I have not been in an interview exactly like this one so these are not necessarily the exact questions you'll be asked but I think they are a useful starting point).

Also remember that an interview is a dialogue so don't be afraid to simply engage in the conversation with your interviewer: their job is to help you discuss your work and your reasons for applying, not to make you feel uncomfortable and to austerely take notes! As I briefly mentioned earlier one of the most important things we will be looking for is your enthusiasm for the course. Consequently, in your shoes I would definitely rehearse answers to questions like "why do you want to study architecture and design?" and "what are the sorts of things that interest you about the course?" and "what do you hope to get from/do after the degree?". Another great way to demonstrate enthusiasm is to show you're interested in the subject and to be aware of some of the things that are going on in the world of architecture at the moment, and bring in some up to date name dropping etc. A good starting point would be to look at things like the RIBA Annie Spink award winners (the architecture equivalent of the Oscars) and read up a little on them.

I hope some of that helps and I wish you the very best of luck (not that you'll need it :wink:). Please do let me know how it goes, and feel free to ask me any more questions you might have!

Kind regards,
Simon

Thank You, Simon

You're reply has been really helpful to me. I feel more exicted for the interview than I am scared now. Thanks again for your advice and I will definitely look into RIBA award winners.

I will get back to you and tell you how it went. :biggrin:

Thank you so much :smile:
Hana
Im applying to the london metropolitin for applied biomedical science. Can I still become a doctor after I finish the degree.
Reply 14
Original post by BenedikTHyland
Im applying to the london metropolitin for applied biomedical science. Can I still become a doctor after I finish the degree.

Not a chance.
Original post by Tbx
Not a chance.

I am going to report you for abusive trolling and also telling the truth. #darudesandstorm
Hi everyone,

I've been offered a place conditionally because I need to pass an English exam.

Please can someone tell me what level the exam will be at and a it more information on what to expect.

Any feedback will be much appreciated.

Thank you

Regards

Chris

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chrismelia
Hi everyone,

I've been offered a place conditionally because I need to pass an English exam.

Please can someone tell me what level the exam will be at and a it more information on what to expect.

Any feedback will be much appreciated.

Thank you

Regards

Chris

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Chris,

Is the English exam the IELTS? If so then the level required depends on the course you want to study. I've cut and paste the information from the FAQ section on our website:

"We usually require applicants for whom English is a second language to have an ACADEMIC IELTS or TOEFL qualification in English, or an equivalent qualification at an appropriate level. As a general rule, we usually require a qualification equivalent to:

IELTS 5.0 with a minimum of 4.5 in all components for entry onto our International Foundation Programme for September start

IELTS 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in all components for entry onto our Bachelors degree programmes

IELTS 6.5 - 7.0 with a minimum of 6.0 in all components for entry onto our Masters programmes and direct entry into years 2 and 3 of Bachelors degree programmes.

These requirements may vary slightly depending on the course you apply for. Exemption from the English Language requirements can only be assessed on receipt of a full application form.

Full details of our English language requirements can be found within our website.

If you require any further help regarding English Language requirements, you can email our International Office directly: [email protected]"

As far as the content of the test and other information etc. goes, I think that this is a good website. It has some mock-type questions so you can get a feel for the sort of questions you might be asked.

Hope that helps, any other questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Kind regards,
Simon
Hi Simon,

Thanks for getting back to me.

English is my first language as I'm British.

The reason for the exam is that I got d at GCSE English.

I'm guessing my exam would be at ks4 English?

Regards

Chris

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chrismelia
Hi Simon,

Thanks for getting back to me.

English is my first language as I'm British.

The reason for the exam is that I got d at GCSE English.

I'm guessing my exam would be at ks4 English?

Regards

Chris

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, I see. Sorry, you can ignore all that info then :smile:.

Yes, the test is pitched to be a grade C GCSE standard. It's an English language exam and focusses on comprehension assignments, ie. you're given a blurb on an obscure subject and then asked questions about it. There are also grammar questions - asking you to identify mistakes in a passage etc.

The University tend to recommend BBC Bitesize as a helpful revision tool.

I hope that's a bit more useful than the first post!

Any other questions, then please just let me know. Good luck with the exam (although I'm sure you don't need it :wink:)

Kind regards,
Simon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending