The Student Room Group
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London

London Metropolitan University - 2016 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hello
I am planning to study software engineering top up (part time).I was told by course lecturer that I need to attend 2 half days I live in birmigham and would want to travel as my family Cant be shifted (kids Schools, husband work etc) would I get any discounts on travel also if I miss few lectures as long as am good with the subject will it be okay in attendance point of view. Will I be covered in web learning if I miss classes for the ones I need tutoring.
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London
Reply 41
Hey!
Just came to the Student Room.co.uk. I didn't know about this site before my friend told me about it! I'm from Finland and I'd got unconditional offer from LondonMet for the Sept 2015. I am still waiting decisions from four different Universities before making my final decision, but if someone could tell me more about the school itself, I would be more than happy. I am studying currently studying sociology at University of Eastern Finland in Joensuu, Finland, but I do want to get into the UK. If you guys have any questions related to social sciences or sociology, do not hesitate to ask! Even I study it elsewhere, I hope I could tell you at least something. Sociology's what I would study at LondonMet as well.

Have a great starting year guys and gals!
Original post by Rwc
Hello
I am planning to study software engineering top up (part time).I was told by course lecturer that I need to attend 2 half days I live in birmigham and would want to travel as my family Cant be shifted (kids Schools, husband work etc) would I get any discounts on travel also if I miss few lectures as long as am good with the subject will it be okay in attendance point of view. Will I be covered in web learning if I miss classes for the ones I need tutoring.

Hello, thanks for your questions and sorry for taking a little while to reply :colondollar: - I hope this isn't too late to be helpful to you.

As far as travel is concerned there wouldn't be any subsidy that we as a university would grant you. However, as a student you might be eligible for an 18+ Oyster card which gives you a 30% discount on travel passes in London.

If you're 16-25 you can get a rail card, you can also get it if you're a full-time student or studying for more than a certain number of hours per week (although from the sound of what you've told me you probably don't qualify on these grounds).

Obviously there are occasions throughout term where students have to miss lectures and that isn't necessarily a significant problem. I'd probably suggest that the number of missed sessions should be kept to an absolute minimum as any catch-up sessions may not be as beneficial as the original lecture. That said, from personal experience (admittedly on a different course) many course leaders are happy to meet with you one-on-one to cover some stuff that you will have missed and to point you in the direction of what read/do to catch up. You will also have access to WebLearn which will have information and lectures/powerpoint slides for each session in each module. This is a great resource that you can access from home.

I hope that answers your questions, if there is anything else you'd like to know please ask! (I promise to be quicker to reply next time :smile:)

Kind regards,
Simon
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by #Joni
Hey!
Just came to the Student Room.co.uk. I didn't know about this site before my friend told me about it! I'm from Finland and I'd got unconditional offer from LondonMet for the Sept 2015. I am still waiting decisions from four different Universities before making my final decision, but if someone could tell me more about the school itself, I would be more than happy. I am studying currently studying sociology at University of Eastern Finland in Joensuu, Finland, but I do want to get into the UK. If you guys have any questions related to social sciences or sociology, do not hesitate to ask! Even I study it elsewhere, I hope I could tell you at least something. Sociology's what I would study at LondonMet as well.

Have a great starting year guys and gals!

Hello Joni,

Firstly (and most importantly) congratulations on you unconditional offer, you must be really pleased! I wish you the very best of luck with your remaining offers (although I'm sure you don't need luck :smile:).

As far as telling you about London Met goes, I'll see what I can do (but please bear in mind, as I've said before on this thread, that although I am a student here I am also an employee- but I'll try to be as objective as possible). The Uni is spread across three main sites all of which are very central in London: Holloway, Aldgate and Moorgate. Studying sociology would mean that you would be in our Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities which is, for the most part, based in our Holloway Hub, in Islington. I think this is a great location (where my course is based too), really good transport links and loads of things going on with Central London only a very short tube ride away. If you're a football fan than it's pretty cool to be this close of the Emirates Stadium:
emirates.jpg

The Sociology course here is, arguably, more focused on practical aspects than elsewhere with the main emphasis being very much on the applied and practical nature of sociology and sociological research. There are a few videos on the course page of our website that I think you should maybe check out, however there's also this video from our YouTube channel that might be of interest to you:

[video="youtube;b4JH-VxxmgM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4JH-VxxmgM[/video]

I hope some of that was useful. I think that the best way to learn a bit more about us would be to come over for one of our Open Days, a great way to learn more about us and see exactly what we're about and meet the tutors and potential course mates. Obviously, this might be a bit difficult (and/or expensive) for you as you'd have to travel so far but if you can't make our formal open day on the 7th March you can always arrange with us to take a campus tour.

Please feel free to ask me if you have any other questions and I'll try my best to help!

Kind regards,
Simon
Original post by DrunkIrish
Hi, is it okay if I PM you regarding a course?

Hello, just a quick message to let you know, that of course it's ok to send us a direct message. I have just replied to it.

Kind regards,
Simon
Reply 45
hello I have applied to BEng software engineering top up part time course I just wanted to know the current timetable of the students on this course so that I can have a brief idea on travel.
if not can I atleast know the full time student timetable of the same course.
thank you
Original post by Rwc
hello I have applied to BEng software engineering top up part time course I just wanted to know the current timetable of the students on this course so that I can have a brief idea on travel.
if not can I atleast know the full time student timetable of the same course.
thank you

Hello, I have just replied to the private message you sent me because I happened to see that first. For anyone else who might be interested the timetable for courses running this year can be found here. However, please bear in mind that module titles and content can occasionally change from year-to-year as can the days and times that students are required to come in.

Please let me know if you think I can be of further assistance! :smile:
Reply 47
Hello, I hope you are still hanging around here?

I want to apply for Games Modelling, Animation and Effects, seeing as my advisor told me it still falls for portfolio deadline 23rd March I'm still in the process of assembling it.
But the question here is, do you know anything about this course? Also it's not about BOARD GAMES right because, I stumbled upon this site mentioned in summary I think, and I'm just confused omg
Original post by akaiii
Hello, I hope you are still hanging around here?

I want to apply for Games Modelling, Animation and Effects, seeing as my advisor told me it still falls for portfolio deadline 23rd March I'm still in the process of assembling it.
But the question here is, do you know anything about this course? Also it's not about BOARD GAMES right because, I stumbled upon this site mentioned in summary I think, and I'm just confused omg

Hello, yep I'm still here!

The course page on the London Met website has a lot of information and probably more relevant than the site you linked to. There's also a lot more in depth information on the specifics of the modules in the London Met course catalogue. Please ignore the dates and times next to each module, these are for this academic year and may well be completely different next year.

As you can see from this stuff the course is about developing computer graphic skills, and reassuringly, therefore, nothing to do with board games. You can see some of the stuff students on this course have created on the Think. Make. Play. website.

I don't know a great deal about the course, except for what I think is a great University asset: GameLab, London Met’s in-house digital media company. The GameLab studio is pretty much the base for this course and is full of programmable games machines which are connected to PCs (I'm told this is one of the most advanced Cisco labs in London). There is also a mobile applications lab with software that allows students to build apps for multi-platform smartphones etc.

I hope that helps. Obviously if you any other questions or if you think I can be of further assistance please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,
Simon
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 49
Hi! I just got a conditional offer from the Games Modelling, Animation and Effects course of London Met. The conditionds are: IELTS (which I am about to take in the next few months), but they also need the "confirm of a successful completion of the Diploma di Esame di Stato at 70% or above..." (which I have, 80 actually) but here comes the problem: "..to include 60% in Mathematics." I come from a Tourism school, where I did Mathematics only for the first two years.
In those two years I had good marks anyway. Are they worth? Will I be able to suits the conditions required even if I didn't study mathematics for the full 5 years???
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Gothy
Hi! I just got a conditional offer from the Games Modelling, Animation and Effects course of London Met. The conditionds are: IELTS (which I am about to take in the next few months), but they also need the "confirm of a successful completion of the Diploma di Esame di Stato at 70% or above..." (which I have, 80 actually) but here comes the problem: "..to include 60% in Mathematics." I come from a Tourism school, where I did Mathematics only for the first two years.
In those two years I had good marks anyway. Are they worth? Will I be able to suits the conditions required even if I didn't study mathematics for the full 5 years???

Hi, unfortunately the question is a bit specific for me to answer confidently in this thread: your best bet would be to contact the admissions team.

Good luck and I hope it's all ok. It might be worth bearing in mind that there are occasions where we will ask applicants to sit an internal maths exam if they don't have the requisite qualification proof. You may want to ask admissions directly about this potential solution.

Please let me know how it goes and feel free to ask any other questions if you need anymore help.

Kind regards,
Simon
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 51
Hi! I'm looking at doing Textile Design in september at London Met i've received a conditional offer depending on if i get 280 UCAS points... This year i've gotten two passes and one distinction, i now have one final assignment left if i got a merit or a distinction would this give me 280 UCAS points?
When i've calculated it two passes makes 80 points and a distinction makes 120 so a merit would just make it with an 80 wouldn't it? (I'm not sure whether thats how its worked out though) Thanks :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Lyd95
Hi! I'm looking at doing Textile Design in september at London Met i've received a conditional offer depending on if i get 280 UCAS points... This year i've gotten two passes and one distinction, i now have one final assignment left if i got a merit or a distinction would this give me 280 UCAS points?
When i've calculated it two passes makes 80 points and a distinction makes 120 so a merit would just make it with an 80 wouldn't it? (I'm not sure whether thats how its worked out though) Thanks :smile:

Firstly (and arguably most importantly), congratulations on getting an offer! :badger::banana2::banana:

As i'm not 100% sure what kind of qualifications you're taking (although I suspect it's a BTEC of some description) I don't want to say definitively either way. However, there is a really useful tariff calculator that you can use to work it out.

I hope that helps! If you have any questions about the course or anything else you'd like to know, please don't hesitate to give me a shout.

Kind regards,
Simon :kungfu:
Reply 53
Original post by London Metropolitan University
Firstly (and arguably most importantly), congratulations on getting an offer! :badger::banana2::banana:

As i'm not 100% sure what kind of qualifications you're taking (although I suspect it's a BTEC of some description) I don't want to say definitively either way. However, there is a really useful tariff calculator that you can use to work it out.

I hope that helps! If you have any questions about the course or anything else you'd like to know, please don't hesitate to give me a shout.

Kind regards,
Simon :kungfu:

Thank you! Yeah a BTEC National Diploma :smile:
Hi,

I've recently been to London Met for an interview and was offered a place on the BA Interior Design Course. I would be based at the Central House (The CASS) and have been looking at accommodation as I will be moving from Cardiff. I have found it hard to find any student accommodation and was wondering if anyone had idea's of where is good? Also is there any specific accommodations that a lot of London Met Students stay at which has a good social side to it as well?
One of the main things that worries me about choosing London Met is comparing the other University's I've been accepted to there is not much of a social side to it from what I can see on the net?

Thanks,
Isabel :smile:
Reply 55
Hello,

What are the closest halls to CASS? And how do you apply? Would they only have London Met students staying in them or from other Unis as well? Also, what is Freshers like at London Met?

Thanks
Hello! I'm having a interview with London Metropolitan university in April and feeling really excited! The only thing which I'm worrying about is the test which gonna be the same day as interview. I would be pleased if you could give me any possible information about it. Many thanks
Anyone else studying law?
Original post by IzzyMcDonaldxxx
Hi,

I've recently been to London Met for an interview and was offered a place on the BA Interior Design Course. I would be based at the Central House (The CASS) and have been looking at accommodation as I will be moving from Cardiff. I have found it hard to find any student accommodation and was wondering if anyone had idea's of where is good? Also is there any specific accommodations that a lot of London Met Students stay at which has a good social side to it as well?
One of the main things that worries me about choosing London Met is comparing the other University's I've been accepted to there is not much of a social side to it from what I can see on the net?

Thanks,
Isabel :smile:

Hey Isabel! Firstly, congratulations on your offer, that's great news, and secondly, sorry on the delay in my response.

With regards to accommodation we have a full list of nearby accommodations on our website: http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/services/studentservices/advice-and-well-being/accommodation/.

I couldn't tell you whether certain accommodations have more London Met students than others, but what I can say is that they are all fairly mixed. If you are booking at a student accommodation you will almost certainly be sharing with students from universities all over London, and from 1st year students up-to post graduates.

There is one accommodation heavily associated with London Met which is 'John Cass Hall' and that is fairly priced too. Here is a link for that: http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/services/studentservices/advice-and-well-being/accommodation/halls-of-residence/cass--claredale/john-cass-hall/

I hope that this information helps!

Best wishes,
Nick

:ta:
Original post by Piper123
Hello,

What are the closest halls to CASS? And how do you apply? Would they only have London Met students staying in them or from other Unis as well? Also, what is Freshers like at London Met?

Thanks

Hi! Sorry on the delay in my response...

With regards to accommodation we have a full list of nearby accommodations on our website: http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/services/...accommodation/.

London accommodations are all fairly mixed. If you are booking at a student accommodation you will almost certainly be sharing with students from universities all over London, and from 1st year students up-to post graduates. A lot of London universities don't have their own campuses and as a result, students use private student accommodation providers.

There is one accommodation heavily associated with London Met which is 'John Cass Hall' and that is fairly priced too. Here is a link for that: http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/services/...ohn-cass-hall/

To apply you need to follow the instructions on the varied halls pages. It's quite straight forward usually, but there is no set procedure for all the accommodation providers.

London Met freshers is a two week event with us and is mostly situated up at our North campus where our Student Union hall is. I've not been personally to freshers week so I couldn't tell you how good it is sorry. What I can say is that there is always a wide variety of events happening over the two weeks and it's a great way to meet students from other courses and faculties.

I hope this information helps!

Best wishes,
Nick

:ta:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending