The Student Room Group
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London

London Metropolitan University - 2016 applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Piper123
Hello,

What are the closest halls to CASS? And how do you apply? Would they only have London Met students staying in them or from other Unis as well? Also, what is Freshers like at London Met?

Thanks

Try Pure Bankside. There's a direct tube to London Met and it's very good. I stayed there and almost all uni students stay there. Moreover the night life at Pure Bankside is the best!
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London
Reply 61
The Curve and Student Castle are only 0.2 miles away from CASS :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey everyone! There’s a group set up on FB for everyone starting at London Met in 2015!

Here’s the link:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/843585669033892/
Reply 63
I was wondering if it's likely to get accpeted through the 'extra' process on ucas in regards to 'Fashion marketing and business' and if so what would help increase my chances to get accepted aside from entry requirments and if it's worth emailing the uni before I decide etc.. thanks in advance
Original post by Ice-Cold
I was wondering if it's likely to get accpeted through the 'extra' process on ucas in regards to 'Fashion marketing and business' and if so what would help increase my chances to get accepted aside from entry requirments and if it's worth emailing the uni before I decide etc.. thanks in advance

Hello, I hope you're well.

I can't guarantee you'll get accepted (as that depends on the quality of you application, obviously). I can, however, advise you that if that's a course you're interested in (and why wouldn't it be? :smile:) then it is definitely possible for you to get accepted via the UCAS 'extra' route.

As you say, you'll need to meet the entry requirements in order to be accepted and these can be found on our website (although I suspect you have already seen these). The sorts of things that would look really good on your personal statement would be any experience you have of working/studying in fashion, marketing or business, especially anything you've achieved or undertaken off your own back. The purpose of this, in a way, is to help us gauge how passionate you are to study the particular subject and/or whether, should you be accepted to the course, you are going to give it your all. If you don't have anything that directly speaks to the subject matter then including anything that demonstrates drive, motivation and passion or an ability to apply yourself to get results are also great things to tell an admission's tutor about (via the application). Trying to link these to the course in some way is a good tip and also explaining why it is that this course is of interest to you.

I hope that was useful, however if you are still struggling then you might be interested to know that we run 'application clinics' where we help people to make university applications (not only to our uni but to wherever they are interested in studying). Let me know if you would like to take part in one of these and I'll give you details of how you can book one etc.

Best of luck with the application, I hope it goes well and please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any other questions for me. Also, I'd be interested to hear how you got on so feel free to drop me a quick message as I'd be happy to hear from you.

Kind regards,
Simon
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 65
hey there I would like to know about the youth work and criminology course London Met offers from students who are studying this course? What is it like? would you recommend it? What is the uni like in general ?
Original post by leanne45
hey there I would like to know about the youth work and criminology course London Met offers from students who are studying this course? What is it like? would you recommend it? What is the uni like in general ?

Hello Leanne, hope you're well.

The Criminology and Youth Work course is part of the faculty that I am studying my course so I can personally vouch for the quality of the teaching staff (as their is some cross over): they all are extremely passionate about their field and are very approachable and take the time to answer any questions you need to, and even prepared to set up one-on-one sessions outside of formal lectures and seminars. So, from that point of you I would definitely recommend it. Hopefully someone who actually studies the course will see this post and chip in with their point of view.

My understanding of the course is that looks at how youth style, music and media are huge factors in driving contemporary culture and in contributing vast sums to the national economy and setting this against the negative representation of young people in the media and public domain. Therefore it will equip you with insight into development and direction of youth culture and how it relates to crime.

Personally, I love studying at London Met. I'm not originally from London so studying here has given me real insight to applying theory to a world city: I'm studying social issues relating to homelessness and having such a big urban landscape as the backdrop really is beneficial to my learning (as I am sure it will be for you on this course). Secondly I also really benefit from the diversity of my fellow students: we all have such differing (and yet similar and complimentary) life experiences that I learn so much from their opinions, viewpoints and anecdotes and that is a real bonus.

I hope you found some of that useful, I'd love to hear how you got on and whether or not you decide to study with us. Please do get in touch if you'd like to ask me anything else or if you think I can help at all.

Kind regards,
Simon
HI!
This topic is sooo great! Thanks a lot for making it :smile: I'm applying for Psychology BSc (also Criminology and Chemistry, but Psychology is firm for me). I really interested in what you're going to say about this course :smile: Looking forward to hearing from you!
Original post by sbstnbgck
HI!
This topic is sooo great! Thanks a lot for making it :smile: I'm applying for Psychology BSc (also Criminology and Chemistry, but Psychology is firm for me). I really interested in what you're going to say about this course :smile: Looking forward to hearing from you!

Hello, thanks for your kind words :u: I'm really pleased that you appreciate the thread!

I think that psychology is a great choice (my career background is in mental health and I would - if I had time and money - love to study human behaviour etc. in more depth).

I know that recently our psychology department has really come to the fore front of the University and has achieved some really great stuff: this has been reflected in a relatively high number of TV appearances by a lot of our lecturers, people who (should you study the course, which I hope you will) you'll see and interact with on a daily basis. I think this is a pretty good indicator of the teaching staff's high level of expertise in their respective fields, and obviously the degree is accredited by British Psychological Society (the first step to becoming a chartered psychologist) which also speaks to its high calibre.

I have a couple of friends who have recently completed the psychology BSc who unfortunately aren't on TSR otherwise I would get hem to reply to you (I'll keep nagging them in the hope they'll do it when they have time). According to them, what they really appreciated about the course was its breadth, they described it as a "great all-round degree": you develop skills and learning relating to counselling, forensic psychology, social psychology and developmental psychology. You also examine the more "scientific" (for wont of a better word) side by taking an in depth neuro-analytical approach. There's also emphasis on abnormal psychological issues (which personally would be my favourite part, I think). So you can see that the course is designed to give a really broad base and solid grounding on which you can build a career.

The other real positive point of this course (to me, at least) is its practical focus: the inevitable theory-base and 'bookish' side of the course is tempered with the need to ensure you pick up practical skills, resulting in modules entitled, for example, Work Psychology and Decision Making and Applied Social & Developmental Psychology that enable you to link the theory firmly with your own working practice and to apply it to the real world in a meaningful way. I think, actually, that this video demonstrates that point fairly well - obviously Dr. Tsivrikos's focus is on consumer psychology (a small portion of the overall degree) but interesting nevertheless.

[video]https://youtu.be/pxWG1v3StdU[/video]

I hope you found that useful, and as always I'd be more than happy to answer anymore questions you may have. I'd also be really happy to hear from you about what decision you make and how things pan out for you in the future,

Kind regards,
Simon
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm applying for LLB LAW, and would like to find out more about the course and what it has to offer. I would love to talk to one of the students about it. Looking forward to the response!
[QUOTE=London Metropolitan University;55651649]Hello, thanks for your kind words :u: I'm really pleased that you appreciate the thread!

I think that psychology is a great choice (my career background is in mental health and I would - if I had time and money - love to study human behaviour etc. in more depth).

I know that recently our psychology department has really come to the fore front of the University and has achieved some really great stuff: this has been reflected in a relatively high number of TV appearances by a lot of our lecturers, people who (should you study the course, which I hope you will) you'll see and interact with on a daily basis. I think this is a pretty good indicator of the teaching staff's high level of expertise in their respective fields, and obviously the degree is accredited by British Psychological Society (the first step to becoming a chartered psychologist) which also speaks to its high calibre.

I have a couple of friends who have recently completed the psychology BSc who unfortunately aren't on TSR otherwise I would get hem to reply to you (I'll keep nagging them in the hope they'll do it when they have time). According to them, what they really appreciated about the course was its breadth, they described it as a "great all-round degree": you develop skills and learning relating to counselling, forensic psychology, social psychology and developmental psychology. You also examine the more "scientific" (for wont of a better word) side by taking an in depth neuro-analytical approach. There's also emphasis on abnormal psychological issues (which personally would be my favourite part, I think). So you can see that the course is designed to give a really broad base and solid grounding on which you can build a career.

The other real positive point of this course (to me, at least) is its practical focus: the inevitable theory-base and 'bookish' side of the course is tempered with the need to ensure you pick up practical skills, resulting in modules entitled, for example, Work Psychology and Decision Making and Applied Social & Developmental Psychology that enable you to link the theory firmly with your own working practice and to apply it to the real world in a meaningful way. I think, actually, that this video demonstrates that point fairly well - obviously Dr. Tsivrikos's focus is on consumer psychology (a small portion of the overall degree) but interesting nevertheless.

[video]https://youtu.be/pxWG1v3StdU[/video]

I hope you found that useful, and as always I'd be more than happy to answer anymore questions you may have. I'd also be really happy to hear from you about what decision you make and how things pan out for you in the future,

Kind regards,
Simon

thank you sooooo much, it helped me a lot!
sorry for such a delay
Original post by sbstnbgck
thank you sooooo much, it helped me a lot!
sorry for such a delay

No worries and you're welcome. Really pleased you thought it was useful!

Good luck, :goodluck:
Original post by Natycookie
I'm applying for LLB LAW, and would like to find out more about the course and what it has to offer. I would love to talk to one of the students about it. Looking forward to the response!

Hello, thanks for getting in touch. I don't know any LLB students personally but I'll try and get someone to respond to you, if I can (which I may not be able to)... You might have more luck hearing from a current LLB student if you set up a specific thread in our forum? I think that way more people are able to see it - worth a shot, anyway.

Also, what might be quite helpful (depending on how easy it is for you to get to London) would be our cross campus open day: there will be current law students and lecturers there, and all sorts of other useful information. The link takes you to the booking page, which has more in depth information, if you're interested.

I can also tell you a bit about what I know of the course: obviously the course is a qualifying law degree that provides a thorough grounding in all the essential subjects needed for professional legal training as a barrister or solicitor. In myopinion the course's biggest asset is our mock courtroom which enables us to go that little bit further than other courses in terms of practical skills that you'd need in a courtroom, ensuring you are more comfortable in that environment. I think the benefit of this has been evident in our repeated and consistent successes in mooting (debating) competitions and last year a student won the prestigious Lady Oliver Mooting Cup. Being skilled and adept in this area really is integral to a successful law career.

I think the other truly unique aspect of this course, that personally I really respect, is the pastoral care that is provided. There are a range of mentoring schemes with London's successful law firms and with third year students and there is also a determination to ensure our students are able to break into a competitive sector.

Sorry that this comment is very 'link-heavy' but there was so much stuff that I thought you'd be interested in seeing.

Below I've included two videos by students who graduated from the LLB course last year - might be of interest to you:

[video]<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TQF2_gUn6n0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/video]

[video]<iframe width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uMr5K4-_SZY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/video]

I sincerely wish you the best of luck with your application and would be happy to hear how you get on,

Kind regards,
Simon
Reply 73
Thanks alot for your reply Simon. Apologies for my delayed resnse I unfortunately didnt get an inbox notification! It was really in depth and sounds as interesting as I imagined .I have recently completed my A-level exam in media so im happy that i can appply my knowledge of media representation of youths. I am stuck between studying at Goldsmiths and here.
Original post by leanne45
Thanks alot for your reply Simon. Apologies for my delayed resnse I unfortunately didnt get an inbox notification! It was really in depth and sounds as interesting as I imagined .I have recently completed my A-level exam in media so im happy that i can appply my knowledge of media representation of youths. I am stuck between studying at Goldsmiths and here.

That's quite alright, Leanne. I hope your exams went really well and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you on results day!

I don't know very much about Goldsmiths (and even less about their youth studies course), but for what it's worth, I personally think you're making the right decision to anchor your degree in London - I've found it to be such a vibrant place to be a student.

Your mentioning of youth work and media has reminded me of this project that London Met was involved in that I helped to publicise a few weeks ago. Essentially this was some work undertaken and funded by the University to help a group of young people who lived in temporary accommodation to make a film, which was shown at the Crouch End arts festival. I thought you might be interested as it sounds like the sort of thing that might really interest you and could give you an insight into the kind of extra-curricular things you could participate in if you came to study here.

Please do let me know if you have any questions, or if you want to chat a bit more about student life here etc, as I'm always happy to try and help.

Good luck with your decision, I hope whichever you choose it's right for you.

Kind regards,
Simon
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 75
Hi i have a conditional offer, i have to take a maths test. I was wondering what are the type of questions on it so i can plan some revision before hand.

Thanks in advance.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by N1245
Hi i have a conditional offer, i have to take a maths test. I was wondering what are the type of questions on it so i can plan some revision before hand.

Thanks in advance.

Congrats on your offee,what are you studying? im clueless about the maths exam ,wish i could help:frown:
Original post by N1245

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

Great work on getting the conditional offer, well done. The test is, I believe, an extra way of verifying that you meet the minimum maths requirement needed to meet the entry requirements for the course. Consequently, the content of the test is set around a grade 'c' level of maths GCSE.

Personally, I think a really good way to see the sorts of questions you 'll be asked is on GCSE bitesize.

The other really good advice that I've heard my colleagues in admissions provide is to be sure that you show your working when attempting an answer: there are points available for method, as well as getting the right answer. I remember from my maths a-level days that sometimes (in exam scenarios especially) mental arithmetic 'blips' can and do happen, so it's important to do what you can to ensure they don't lose you a lot of marks.

I hope that helps and that the link is useful,

Good luck with the test, I sincerely hope you ace it. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask, and I'd be interested to hear from you about how you get on.

Kind regards,
Simon
Reply 78
Hi
i'm looking for more informations about Airline Airport and Aviation Management. Does anyone know something about it ? This is the only course at this university connected with aviation industry so I'm not so sure if it's good enough and I can't find any students who are studying aready :smile:
Original post by polianna
Hi
i'm looking for more informations about Airline Airport and Aviation Management. Does anyone know something about it ? This is the only course at this university connected with aviation industry so I'm not so sure if it's good enough and I can't find any students who are studying aready :smile:

Hello, although you're right that it is our only aviation course we do also have travel management degrees and we have strong historical ties to transportation courses and have retained very strong links with the industry in general.

As you may know already, I'm not a student on this particular course (I've very nearly finished a housing law and policy postgraduate course here) however, I do have contact with a large amount of courses (including Airline, Airport and Aviation Management - BSc) because of the role I play in the marketing department.

The course's strong links with industry can be evidenced by the quality of the guest speakers and networking opportunities the course offers and by the access students on the course have to international corporations the opportunity this provides for real insight into all aspect of the aviation industry.

A final link that you may be interested in following is this one. It's a news story we put on our website last year about the successful reception of a book published of one of this course's lead academics. I think this goes some way to demonstrating the academic calibre of the course.

I hope that you found some of that useful and if you have any other questions please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards,
Simon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending