The Student Room Group
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London

London Metropolitan University - 2016 applicants

Hello everybody,

I’m Marcia and I’m a London Met rep, as are my two colleagues Aude and Simon. We all thought it would be nice to create this thread as a place where those of you who have an offer, or are applying to study with us in 2015 (either starting in January or September) can chat to each other.

Feel free to ask us any questions and we’ll and answer them as best we can. Enjoy!

Marcia

Scroll to see replies

Hello,

I am Franch and I want to apply to study at London Met in september 2015, but I don't understand what the " £2,250 per 30 credit module" does mean ?

Can you answer me or tell me where I can find the answer ?

Thanks
(edited 9 years ago)
Libeskind Graduate Centre
London Metropolitan University
London
Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch.

The tuition fee depends on which course you want to study.

A degree is made up of 12 modules of 30 credits each, 360 credits in total. As a part-time student you will take either 2 or 3 modules per year, depending on how quickly you want to complete the course. A single module lasts for the full academic year.
In order graduate with an Honours degree you will need to complete all modules.

Students will have compulsory modules at most levels and may have an optional module in years 2 and/or 3. Selection of optional modules will be determined by individual faculties. Part-time students will have a maximum of 8 years to complete a degree with Honours.

I am providing you with a link to our undergraduate courses here

Hope this helps!

All the best

Marcia
Hi !
Thank you for your reply, that is very usefull. I have some other questions about the Creative Writing BA and about the student life in general.

I saw that some of the modules had only 15 credits. So does the cost is the half of a module of 30 credits or something else ?

Do I have to pay a year at once or can I pay in installments ?

Does part time students can book a student room ? If yes, do you know where I could book one ?

Kind regards
Hi there,

I am glad the information proved useful.

The 15 credit modules are optional modules of which you may have to choose two in order to make up a thirty credit module, per year.

A full time student would take 120 credits per year (360 in total over three years).

As a part-time student there is more flexibility so you can take between 2-3 modules a year which means between 60-90 credits a year (taking four to six years to complete).
So students pay for the modules they are taking per year.

Yes! Tuition fees can certainly be paid in installments, you can find out more details here.

We have an excellent Accommodation Bureau, who can help you find anything from halls of residence to privately rented accommodation to suit your needs and budget!
You can can find out more right now.

I suggest the best way to find out about student life in general is to take a visit and see for yourself. You can ask students directly what the London Met experience is all about!
That's easily done by booking a place on one of our upcoming events which will be online soon.

Also while we are on the subject of the student experience, how about looking at the work of one of our wonderful alumna Matilda Ibini a 2012/13 graduate from the BA Creative Writing and English Literature degree at London Met, she is a winning playwright in the BBC Writers Room 2014. Matilda will work with the BBC and Soho Theatre in a year-long development scheme.

Hope that's inspiration!

Best wishes

Marcia
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Hi, im from the u.s and im very interested in the journalism program only problem is I may fall slightly under the entry requirements any tips
Original post by shaq3605
Hi, im from the u.s and im very interested in the journalism program only problem is I may fall slightly under the entry requirements any tips

Hello, thanks for your question!

Firstly, great choice of course: sometimes I wish that I had done journalism (I actually studied Drama and English Lit as my undergrad).

I think you've probably got a few options, so don't worry too much! :smile:

1. London Met offers 5 (I think) undergraduate degree courses that relate specifically to journalism. The different courses have a range of entry criteria and, as you can apply to more than one course, you may want to apply to one with a slightly lower entry point as an insurance? I've included a link to all of these courses here, so you can check them out.

2. London Met offers, what we call, an Extended Degree which we can offer to applicants who have missed out on the entry requirement. Essentially this adds a "zero-year" to the beginning of your intended course, to ensure you have the necessary academic skills that may not be reflected in your qualifications. At the end of this year you will be eligible to apply for the course that you want.

3. Finally, It is probably worth noting that with courses like journalism, experience goes a long way toward ensuring you are 'the perfect applicant'. In your shoes, I think I would be looking to bolster my academic credentials with as much journalistic experience as possible: writing for the school paper, trying to get letters published in local press or even trying to volunteer or intern in a news outlet near you.

I hope that some of that was useful. I wish you all the best with the application (and hope that you get the grades you want/need!). Any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Let me know how it goes :grin:

Simon
Original post by FrenchMel22
Hi !
Thank you for your reply, that is very usefull. I have some other questions about the Creative Writing BA and about the student life in general.

I saw that some of the modules had only 15 credits. So does the cost is the half of a module of 30 credits or something else ?

Do I have to pay a year at once or can I pay in installments ?

Does part time students can book a student room ? If yes, do you know where I could book one ?

Kind regards

Original post by shaq3605

I suggest you both do your university research thoroughly before considering London met university, especially to you Shaq as you are from the US. Have you tried looking into foundation programs at other universities?
Original post by London Metropolitan University
Hello everybody,

I’m Marcia and I’m a London Met rep, as are my two colleagues Aude and Simon. We all thought it would be nice to create this thread as a place where those of you who have an offer, or are applying to study with us in 2015 (either starting in January or September) can chat to each other.

Feel free to ask us any questions and we’ll and answer them as best we can. Enjoy!

Marcia

Hi! I'd be interested in the statistics regarding how many applicants you get for your Fine Art Extended Degree and how many are successful? Or just how many places there are if you can't find those stats. Thanks <3
Original post by wolfmurder
Hi! I'd be interested in the statistics regarding how many applicants you get for your Fine Art Extended Degree and how many are successful? Or just how many places there are if you can't find those stats. Thanks <3

OH also is the extended degree eligible for student finance? I would imagine it is because you apply through UCAS but I just wanna check

Hello!

Thanks for getting in touch. Unfortunately I don't have access to these numbers, however I have fired off an email to the recruitment co-ordinator for that course, to see if they keep that kind of information- unfortunately I've just seen that they are giving lectures today so they will take a while getting back to me. I'll pass on any stats I get to you when I get them.

However, In my opinion though, it might be a bit misleading to look at these numbers: it shouldn't much matter if we reject a lot of students, so long as we are accepting you :smile:.

What I mean by that really is that it would probably be of more benefit to you to look at the entry criteria for the course and the types extra-curricular work you can be doing to improve your application. Some of that information can be found on the course page of our website.

Just as an aside the route you would take if you wanted to start with an extended degree and lead to a BA qualification in Fine Art is as follows: Art and Design Extended Degree (year zero) and then Fine Art BA year 1,2 and 3.

To answer your other question about student finance: an extended degree is eligible for student loans. However, please bear in mind that the maximum you can claim student finance for is 4 years in total. Just thought I'd mention that so you were aware that if you needed to re-take a year, or something like that you would have to 'self-fund'. Hopefully that won't happen though!

I would be extremely happy to help if you want to chat about what qualifications you have/are in the process of getting and I could let you know if I think they make for a good application and give some advice about the sorts of things you could be doing to improve them...

Finally, because I think it might be of interest to you (but mostly because someone just told me it was possible and I've not done it before) I've included a video about London Met's Arts Courses (The CASS is what we call our art's faculty).

[video="youtube;m_Q5HN9bPQs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_Q5HN9bPQs[/video]

Please do let me know how it goes!

Simon (Marcia isn't in today)
Thank you so much! I'm doing my A Levels currently and was aiming to do Fine Art BA at Goldsmiths but I recently found out they don't so much as look at anyone without a Foundation year. I need to move out, which is why it would need to be financed. I'm probably looking at CCD/BCD results from my A levels (art, photography, music tech, respectively) - are these qualifications suitable to apply for this course?
Thank you so much! I'm doing my A Levels currently and was aiming to do Fine Art BA at Goldsmiths but I recently found out they don't so much as look at anyone without a Foundation year. I need to move out, which is why it would need to be financed. I'm probably looking at CCD/BCD results from my A levels (art, photography, music tech, respectively) - are these qualifications suitable to apply for this course?

You're very welcome!

I've cut and paste the entry requirements for the Fine Art BA below (and here's a link to the course page, if you want to read more:

"In addition to the University's standard entry requirements, you will normally be expected to obtain:
a minimum of 280 UCAS points from at least two A level or equivalent level 3 qualifications in relevant art and design subjects.
We encourage applications from international/EU students with equivalent qualifications.
We also accept mature students with diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Suitable applicants living in the UK will be invited to a portfolio interview. Applicants living outside the UK will be required to submit a portfolio of work via email.

This course is also available as a four-year extended degree, the first year of which is the Foundation Year Art, Media, Design."

It seems to me that Art and Photography are sufficiently 'artsy' a-levels to qualify.

CCD, by my calculation, is equivalent to: 220 UCAS points
BCD: 240.

This means that your grades might be a little shy, but don't feel too down-hearted

Spoiler

- if you're currently in year 13 there's still time and you might do better than you expect!

Also, I'll just quickly draw your attention to the 'portfolio interview'. To quote one of our lecturers "art isn't just a subject, it's a vocation - a calling" - so it isn't really just about your qualifications so it might be worth having a think about what art work you might want to show off. Remember, this interview isn't requiring you to bring in a perfect portfolio that necessarily demonstrates you're already creating exhibition-ready art work: it is simply to show that you've got the right foundation to succeed in the course. I hope that makes sense!

I'd like to point out that, if you do end up slightly under on the academic qualifications (and hopefully you won't and you'll surprise yourself!) then that is exactly why we have a foundation year option - (and Student Finance England will cover home-students up to four years, so the whole course will be included).

Finally, to answer your question, if you want to do the course I say definitely apply- I can't make any guarantees obviously, but I think it's worth a go! Just to make you aware, if you are a little unsure on applications we run advice clinics here (at our Holloway Road campus). These aren't just geared towards our courses so, even if you decide on Goldsmith's and other courses and not us, we could still give a bit of help to make sure your application is the best it can be.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck not only with your results but on your decision about which course to study and on your application.

Anyway, please do let me know what you decide and feel free to ask me if you have any other questions!

Kind regards,
Simon
the entry requirements are different for the extended degree are they not

i'm only applying because i both need a foundation year and i need to move out. i don't think the degree course is one i would get on with (my personal way of working doesn't feel compatible) and i would be looking to apply elsewhere during my foundation year - i need to go on a four year course to get the funding to move out. your location is perfect for me and you offer the chance for me to do the foundation away from home, and right now that's all i need. there are very few other institutions in london which offer an extended degree and if i did a foundation separately i wouldn't be funded. thanks anyway though
i don't think i stressed enough how much i appreciate you taking the time to reply as extensively as you are though, it's much appreciated
i don't think i stressed enough how much i appreciate you taking the time to reply as extensively as you are though, it's much appreciated

Thought I'd answer this first: It is absolutely my pleasure, I'm just pleased I can help and please don't stop asking any questions you have, it's what I'm here for! I know how big a decision coming to uni can feel and fully understand that you want to get as much information as possible.

i'm only applying because i both need a foundation year and i need to move out. i don't think the degree course is one i would get on with (my personal way of working doesn't feel compatible) and i would be looking to apply elsewhere during my foundation year - i need to go on a four year course to get the funding to move out. your location is perfect for me and you offer the chance for me to do the foundation away from home, and right now that's all i need. there are very few other institutions in london which offer an extended degree and if i did a foundation separately i wouldn't be funded. thanks anyway though

Ah, I see. That makes sense, I understand.

Yes, the entry criteria for the extended year is different. You can find the course page here. However, for your convenience, I have again cut and paste the entry requirements below:

In addition to the University's standard entry requirements, you will normally be expected to obtain:

"A minimum of 120 UCAS points from at least one A level or equivalent level 3 qualification.
You will need GCSE English at C level (or above) or will need to take the University English test. You will need to attend an interview with your portfolio of creative work. We encourage applications from International/EU students with equivalent qualifications. We also accept mature students with diverse backgrounds and experiences.

Suitable applicants living in the UK will be invited to a portfolio interview.

Applicants living outside the UK will be required to submit a small portfolio of work via email."

Just as an aside, because you've mentioned living away from home, I thought you might find it interesting to know that we have an accommodation bureau who can help you choose somewhere to live and take some of the pressure off (because that is also a pretty difficult decision).

Good luck!
Simon :cool:
Reply 17
London Met is one of my five choices for law. The good talk from the head of postgraduate Barrie persuaded me( I wasn't previously going to have it as one of my five choices.)
Original post by stawes
London Met is one of my five choices for law. The good talk from the head of postgraduate Barrie persuaded me( I wasn't previously going to have it as one of my five choices.)

Did you consider Brunel or Westminister?
Reply 19
Original post by Iqbal007
Did you consider Brunel or Westminister?

Westminster one of my five choices and while I looked up Brunel the very high grade boundaries( 45 out of 45 distinctions) and the distance from my house in East London meant I ruled it out.

Quick Reply