The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Kaori
Hi, I'm wondering how good is the sociology department at Oxford. It's quite huge and on the Times ranking under Sociology Oxford is not on the list.

The reason for this is, because Oxford doesn't have Sociology at undergraduate level.

And how easy is it apply for a PhD in Cambridge if you have a master's from Oxford? Is there going to be issues (I don't know.. school rivalry?)

It's very easy, to apply.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Getting a sociology degree from Oxford may prove slightly difficult!

As for crossing over from Oxford to Cambridge - I don't see any problem there at all.
Reply 3
Why is it difficult to apply for sociology in Oxford?
Interesting that they do not have an undergraduate program in sociology (perhaps this explains the huge size of their sociology department).

But anyway, which school has the better sociology program?
By the way whilst we are on the subject, Cambridge doesnt do sociology either at undergrad. They do a BA in Social and political Science though.
Reply 5
Kaori

Because they dont offer it.

If you're talking about postgraduate programs, they cannot be compared because it depends on who you end up working with and what specific area of the subject, since you do not have the same postgraduate structure as in the US.
Kaori
Interesting that they do not have an undergraduate program in sociology (perhaps this explains the huge size of their sociology department).

Sorry, I was talking about the undergrad programmes!

Answers on a postcard please. Are we talking taught or research programmes?
Reply 7
research programme
Reply 8
Kaori
research programme

then you cant really ask - you dont have a lecture program on research in the UK, and how good it is will vary with the region of the topic, hence it depends on the person who supervises your project.
bikerx23
then you cant really ask - you dont have a lecture program on research in the UK, and how good it is will vary with the region of the topic, hence it depends on the person who supervises your project.

Aside from the RAE which is out of date and has both universities with a 5 so pretty good but not the best.

May I politely ask the OP why they want to study sociology at Oxford and Cambridge? Or are you just checking them out in the grand scheme of things?

Usually for a PhD you would have a pretty clear idea of what area you want to go into and who are the leading lights in that area and they are not neccessarily at Oxford or Cambridge.
ChemistBoy
Aside from the RAE which is out of date and has both universities with a 5 so pretty good but not the best.

May I politely ask the OP why they want to study sociology at Oxford and Cambridge? Or are you just checking them out in the grand scheme of things?

Usually for a PhD you would have a pretty clear idea of what area you want to go into and who are the leading lights in that area and they are not neccessarily at Oxford or Cambridge.

What's the best in the RAE ratings, 5*?
Platocrates
What's the best in the RAE ratings, 5*?

Yes, although these things are a little bit subjective.
Naturally.
Reply 13
ChemistBoy
Yes, although these things are a little bit subjective.

Less so with science though, since a lot of that is related to facilities - like what machines/computers.etc., and how much funding is available.

But, yes - a massive part of the quality of a research project is because of the tutor you're working with.
bikerx23
Less so with science though, since a lot of that is related to facilities - like what machines/computers.etc., and how much funding is available.

But, yes - a massive part of the quality of a research project is because of the tutor you're working with.

A group of the great and the good get together and assess what is good and not so good research mostly by publication records and funding incomes, facilities do play a part, but it isn't that major - there are obvious flaws in that even with the guidelines that the RAE has. The whole thing is going to crash and burn now thanks to the super departments in Scotland and the University of Manchester

Latest

Trending

Trending