The Student Room Group

Anyway to get into medical school with bad grades?

I have higher:
Physics: B
Maths: B
Technological Studies: B
Chemistry: B
English: C
I am currently studying:
Adv higher Maths, Adv higher Chemistry and Adv higher physics (which I can swap for biology).
Is there ANY way that I can get into a medical school that anyone knows of?
No
I don't know much about highers but for A-levels it is possible to get into an extended medical degree (medicine with a foundation year) at good Universities such as Kings College with around ABB depending on the school you go to.
Original post by Reamoun
I have higher:
I am currently studying:
Adv higher Maths, Adv higher Chemistry and Adv higher physics (which I can swap for biology).

I remember reading somewhere last week that one of the medical schools in London this year admitted 3 or 4 students with ABB. Sorry can't remember which one.

I suspect that is rare though. Your best bet is to work really hard and get top marks for your highers and get some stellar work experience.
Not really. You could try to go through the foundation degree or GEM route but apparently that won't exist for much longer and even if it does, it's incredibly hard to do. You might want to re-evaluate your aims :/
People are obsessed with medicine on here.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
just to say I do realise with those grades there is no chance of getting straight into medicine. What I am looking at and for is course I can do that can then convert into medicine.
Reply 7
Original post by qwertyking
People are obsessed with medicine on here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, in the Medicine section where most people are applicants, of course we are obsessed. But that's like saying Doctor Who fans are mad about Doctor Who... it's quite obvs :biggrin:
Original post by Reamoun
I have higher:
I am currently studying:

Hi

I'm currently in the same position as you. Have ABBBC in higher english, maths, Chemistry, computing and bio.
Currently doing AH Chemistry, maths and bio plus higher physics.
Trying to get predictions of AAB and A for physics.
I had narrowed it down to Keele, Leicester and Exeter. But after 610 in ukcat only have the option of Keele left.
If my teacher refuses to predict me the grades I need then graduate entry it is. Will find out tomorrow.
All going well then I'll be applying to Keele with minimum grades but fingers crossed a good PS which I can flesh out in the roles and responsibilities form.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending