The Student Room Group

When do you plan to switch the heating on?

It's starting to get cold now but I definitely don't feel the need switch on the heating and would much rather layer up! My housemates are talking about switching it on though, so I was wondering when other students started to use central heating. Also at what time and how long for?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No clue, but the radiators have been hot at times so guessing someone turns it on occasionally already.
Original post by Inazuma
No clue, but the radiators have been hot at times so guessing someone turns it on occasionally already.
That will be the thermostat working then. lol.
Reply 3
Original post by uberteknik
That will be the thermostat working then. lol.

ah yes, that thing... that I have definitely heard of before... :colondollar:
Reply 4
I just put mine on when I'm going for a bath so that I don't freeze my nipples off.
Original post by umbrella19
It's starting to get cold now but I definitely don't feel the need switch on the heating and would much rather layer up! My housemates are talking about switching it on though, so I was wondering when other students started to use central heating. Also at what time and how long for?

Tell them to put on a jumper first. I hate it when people's first response is to turn on the heating. Put on a jumper, wear a hoody (with hood up if need be), extra socks and a pair of slippers. Hot drink helps as well. Heating is expensive. Talk to them about it and suggest that if people are really that cold and have tried the above then sure turn the heating on.

My old housemate would turn on the heating, his own personal heater and eletric blanket and then be so hot in his room that he was andpanting/sweating whilst just wearing vest and boxers. It was infuriating that we were paying for it.
I would always go for extra jumper/socks/slippers first (and tbh, last winter I had a fleece throw on the sofa as well that I'd cosy up under before putting the heating on) but I've no desire to be a martyr-I'm not willing to be utterly miserably cold just to save a bit of money-so the heating comes on if I'm still cold after a few layers.
Reply 7
Ours is on now :tongue: I think I first put it on a couple of week ago.
Ours is on. I can't stand a cold house, especially when the kids kick their blankets off at night and then end up freezing and catching colds - no thanks I'd rather just switch the heating on.

Disclaimer - I'm not a student (The OP refers to students).
In a few weeks, I am still in my polo so when it's getting cold, I will first put my sweater on :tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Ours is on. I can't stand a cold house, especially when the kids kick their blankets off at night and then end up freezing and catching colds - no thanks I'd rather just switch the heating on.

Disclaimer - I'm not a student (The OP refers to students).

This is how I feel but I'm not a student either (yet.)I understand not having it on in summer, but I pay the bills therefore I feel like I have the right to be warm in my own home.
We managed to hang on until mid-November last year. Don't know how, the couple of weeks beforehand was freezing in the house!
It's definitely something that you need to discuss with your flatmates, otherwise it can cause a lot of problems when it comes time to pay the gas bill. My rule was always to wait at least until november, but I'm also Canadian and can stand a bit of cold.
I don't like putting heating on at all, I will layer up, get a hot water bottle, blankets, get into bed if necessary but I hate having heating on so I rarely use it (last year the heater in my bedroom went on twice in total), my current heating also only has a +1 hour button so can't set it before I get up or anything so it is utterly pointless to put on in the mornings and stuff when it's coldest

I always get frustrated with flatmates as people always seem to put the heating on and leave it for ages and then they're opening the windows and walking round in shorts and t shirts, it's such a waste
Reply 14
Original post by Rubenslash
In a few weeks, I am still in my polo so when it's getting cold, I will first put my sweater on :tongue:

I'm still in shorts lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's already on.
Reply 16
I won't turn the heating on in my room yet, but i've already turned it on in the babies' room.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I put it on a couple of times this week to check it's still working ok and to warm up the pipes. I would have it on pretty much all the time as I hate the cold, but my boyfriend can't afford to contribute for oil yet so we won't be using the heating until he can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My flat doesn't have central heating, and we only have a fire in the front room. It went on last week for the first time, and I don't regret it. It'll be about a month & we'll start seeing our breath when we use the loo haha
I've put my heating on timer.
3.5 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening. During the day there is no point as nobody is home.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending