The Student Room Group

I'm a second year International Baccalaureate student, AMA.

I'm studying:
HL Maths
HL Physics
HL Chemistry
SL English Lit
SL Economics
SL Latin

Applying for Chemical Engineering.
I go to an international boarding school in England as a weekly boarder.
My favourite past time is cardistry. I also really like anime.

AMA.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

is the IB really ****ing difficult?
How come our nose runs but our feet smell?
Original post by Guills on wheels
is the IB really ****ing difficult?

Some of the content is pretty damn heavy, touching on undergrad stuff, and you actually really need to think and understand concepts well. We get less homework than A level students though, but we're expected to (or should) do 'independent learning' instead. And we have to study 6.5 subjects, write a compulsory 4000 word extended essay, 1500 word Theory of Knowledge essay, and spend at least 150 hours doing CAS activities (creativity, action, service), so yeah, you should be organised :lol:

Original post by Phantom Lord
How come our nose runs but our feet smell?

Here's the best answer I can give. Our noses do smell and our feet do run too. By convention, we simply use those words to describe what is happening to those parts of our body, even though it may not seem literally possible, or 'logical'.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Bude8
I'm studying:
HL Maths
HL Physics
HL Chemistry
SL English Lit
SL Economics
SL Latin

Applying for Chemical Engineering.
I go to an international boarding school in England as a weekly boarder.
My favourite past time is cardistry. I also really like anime.

AMA.

That subject combination, though :eek:

Any tips to get 40+ points? I'm taking:

HL Psychology
HL Biology
HL Economics
SL Maths
SL English Lang/lit
SL Spanish ab intio
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by pbunny
That subject combination, though :eek:

Any tips to get 40+ points?

I get that reaction from everyone :lol: but it's not as bad as people think it is!

What subjects are you studying? I may be able to give you subject specific tips. I believe key to success in the IB is discipline - you need to put in time and effort into your understanding of subjects. Understanding is probably the most important thing if you want to score high marks (well, for Maths and Sciences definitely). Honestly though, another extremely important tip is to work consistently. I actually get less work than A level students, but it's up to me to make good use of that time. As there are various coursework elements in the IB, it's always great to get started early and finish them relatively quickly so you don't have to worry about them. If you don't have any coursework to do, then revise/consolidate existing knowledge - the sooner you start, the better!

Another thing is to probably ditch your pride - do not worry about looking 'stupid'; the IB isn't exactly easy. Do not be afraid of asking questions - if it is going to help you understand then ask!

And don't forget, always try to meet your deadlines. You don't want your teachers hating you and breathing down the back of your collar :lol:
Reply 6
Original post by Bude8
I get that reaction from everyone :lol: but it's not as bad as people think it is!

What subjects are you studying? I may be able to give you subject specific tips. I believe key to success in the IB is discipline - you need to put in time and effort into your understanding of subjects. Understanding is probably the most important thing if you want to score high marks (well, for Maths and Sciences definitely). Honestly though, another extremely important tip is to work consistently. I actually get less work than A level students, but it's up to me to make good use of that time. As there are various coursework elements in the IB, it's always great to get started early and finish them relatively quickly so you don't have to worry about them. If you don't have any coursework to do, then revise/consolidate existing knowledge - the sooner you start, the better!

Another thing is to probably ditch your pride - do not worry about looking 'stupid'; the IB isn't exactly easy. Do not be afraid of asking questions - if it is going to help you understand then ask!

And don't forget, always try to meet your deadlines. You don't want your teachers hating you and breathing down the back of your collar :lol:

Thanks for the tips! Do you think having a crappy teacher for a subject (biology to be exact) will hinder your chances of getting a 7?

I edited in my subject combination to my previous post.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by pbunny
Thanks for the tips! Do you think having a crappy teacher for a subject (biology to be exact) will hinder your chances of getting a 7?

I edited in my subject combination to my previous post.

Yes, crappy teachers obviously don't help, but the IB prides itself on independent learning so :tongue:

About 90% of the IB Chemistry I know is from here, and not my teacher :lol: You just need to find a good source of learning! Here's one for Biology: https://www.youtube.com/user/SCScienceVid

I presume you're the first year of the new syllabus - my friends that study Biology atm tell me it's like 99% rote learning. Not sure if this is still the case with the new syllabus, but if it is then just consolidate your knowledge as you're learning :smile:
What's HL and SL?
Original post by TasteLikeChicken
What's HL and SL?

Higher Level and Standard Level respectively. Broadly speaking, HL can be approximated as an equivalent of A2, and SL to As.

Higher Level is basically more depth and more content, touching on some university level stuff.
Original post by Bude8
Higher Level and Standard Level respectively. Broadly speaking, HL can be approximated as an equivalent of A2, and SL to As.

Higher Level is basically more depth and more content, touching on some university level stuff.

Ooooh, nice.
This IB stuff seems really tough, dayum.
Original post by TasteLikeChicken
Ooooh, nice.
This IB stuff seems really tough, dayum.

It is. But it's well respected :lol:

Some interesting stats: http://www.ibo.org/facts/statbulletin/dpstats/documents/2013-MayDPStatisticalBulletin.pdf

Only the top 4.5% get above 40 so
Original post by Bude8
It is. But it's well respected :lol:

Some interesting stats: http://www.ibo.org/facts/statbulletin/dpstats/documents/2013-MayDPStatisticalBulletin.pdf

Only the top 4.5% get above 40 so

Go on mate, be in that 4.5%!
Reply 13
Original post by Bude8
Yes, crappy teachers obviously don't help, but the IB prides itself on independent learning so :tongue:

About 90% of the IB Chemistry I know is from here, and not my teacher :lol: You just need to find a good source of learning! Here's one for Biology: https://www.youtube.com/user/SCScienceVid

I presume you're the first year of the new syllabus - my friends that study Biology atm tell me it's like 99% rote learning. Not sure if this is still the case with the new syllabus, but if it is then just consolidate your knowledge as you're learning :smile:

Thanks for the link! I've found other online resources for biology so I should be fine. The new syllabus is pretty much the same save for some things but they've included something new (International Mindedness/Nature of Science) - it's bu** in my opinion but we've got to know it so there is no way around it :rolleyes:

One last question: I'm think of switching to SL literature. I've been doing lang/lit for the past 6 weeks and I'm just really irritated with the way the course is set up. I'm a very structured person and dislike how everything is all over the place as there is no prescribed list of books or whatever, just a very long list of types of media you're required to know how to analyse. Plus, I HATE creative writing and pretty much every WT is creative writing - i just can't!

However, since I've never done literature before I'm hesitating to switch into literature. I'm good at English (always got A/A*'s) and am an avid reader but still..it's quite risky. I was wondering what you think about literature? If I work hard will I be able to get a 6? I can't really get the opinion of the IB Literature teacher as 1) He's never taught me
Original post by pbunny
Thanks for the link! I've found other online resources for biology so I should be fine. The new syllabus is pretty much the same save for some things but they've included something new (International Mindedness/Nature of Science) - it's bu** in my opinion but we've got to know it so there is no way around it :rolleyes:

One last question: I'm think of switching to SL literature. I've been doing lang/lit for the past 6 weeks and I'm just really irritated with the way the course is set up. I'm a very structured person and dislike how everything is all over the place as there is no prescribed list of books or whatever, just a very long list of types of media you're required to know how to analyse. Plus, I HATE creative writing and pretty much every WT is creative writing - i just can't!

However, since I've never done literature before I'm hesitating to switch into literature. I'm good at English (always got A/A*'s) and am an avid reader but still..it's quite risky. I was wondering what you think about literature? If I work hard will I be able to get a 6? I can't really get the opinion of the IB Literature teacher as 1) He's never taught me

English is my least favourite and probably weakest subject :lol:

I only do Literature, not Lang/Lit but here's roughly what I had to do:

While there isn't a prescribed book list, my teacher chose the works we had to study.
You won't be assessed on every piece of work you do.
I had the choice to do my English IOP (individual oral presentation, 10 minute presentation on the work) on The Reluctant Fundamentalist or The Catcher In The Rye, both novels, or a selection of poems.
We read a foreign play, The Visit, and did our Literature in Translation essay (~1500 words)
We're reading Dubliners as one of the options for our IOC (IO commentary), and the alternative is a selection of poems.

To be honest, I don't really think you need to have studied literature before. It's about analysing words and phrases, themes etc. within and drawing meaning from them. Honestly, imo, it's just a bull**** fest :lol:. The unseen papers (passages/poems that you won't have seen before) is basically analysis and bull**** too. You do get a lot of support though from the exams, as they give you guiding questions.

It is 'creative writing' in a sense, as to how you can bull**** your way through what the words the author has used means etc. haha, but that's about as 'creative' as it gets. Themes are generally quite important, pick up on senses, connotations colours have, 7 deadly sins, etc.

IIRC around 30-40% of English Lit is coursework, so make sure you nail that aspect. Some advice I can give you with the IOP and IOC is to at least look like you're confident - 2/3 of the criteria on the mark scheme cover the delivery of the presentation and organisation of it, so even if you're chatting ****, you can still get 20/30 if you're extremely fluid and smooth in your delivery. With the IOP, you are allowed, and are encouraged to involve the audience. If you work hard, will you be able to get a 6? Generally, yes, but I'm not too hard working when it comes to English (seriously, I slack so much :lol:) and I've been floating around the grade 6 mark in most assignments. Got a 7 in my IOP though. With the unseen paper, there's not much preparation you can do, just BS your way through it. I haven't seen the literature paper yet so I can't comment on that, but it's closed book so knowing your text well will help.

TL;DR, I think it's actually quite an enjoyable course despite it being my least favourite subject, your appreciation of literature certainly develops and there are some good pieces that you read. To answer your question, I don't think swapping to Literature will be that much of a problem. You'll probably enjoy it more than Lang/Lit.
Reply 15
Do you remember me? :redface: And if you do, how annoying was I?
what's your favourite anime (apart from kuroko no basket :tongue:)

top 3 albums of 2014?

who's your best friend on tsr?
Original post by Vionar
Do you remember me? :redface: And if you do, how annoying was I?

haha, of course I remember you, hope you're enjoying year 12 :lol:. You should come and post on the year 13 thread :smile: and to be honest, I don't think I ever found you annoying :lol:

Original post by Arithmeticae
what's your favourite anime (apart from kuroko no basket :tongue:)

top 3 albums of 2014?

who's your best friend on tsr?

Favourite anime? How cruel of you to ask this question :cry: I don't think I can answer this, but I loved The Irregular at Magic High. The one I laughed hardest at is probably Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun.

Top 3 albums of 2014? I listen to individual tracks more than albums so I can't answer this question :lol: Heck, I don't even know if I can name 3.

Best friend on TSR? That's a hard one, there are some pretty cool people on TSR, but I only really use the Y13 thread. It's probably someone from there but it'll probably have to be L'Evil Fish as I've known him for the longest, even though I think we disliked each other at the start :lol: (tbf, I was quite obnoxious back then)
Reply 18
Original post by Bude8
haha, of course I remember you, hope you're enjoying year 12 :lol:. You should come and post on the year 13 thread :smile: and to be honest, I don't think I ever found you annoying :lol:
#

I am indeed :biggrin: Oh nooooo that's scary :eek: Though I might try to sneak in and assimilate before anyone notices I'm different :tongue:
Really? :redface: I always thought you found me annoying :tongue: To be fair I thought that about everyone I've spoken to on TSR so maybe it's not so accurate :tongue:
Original post by Vionar
I am indeed :biggrin: Oh nooooo that's scary :eek: Though I might try to sneak in and assimilate before anyone notices I'm different :tongue:
Really? :redface: I always thought you found me annoying :tongue: To be fair I thought that about everyone I've spoken to on TSR so maybe it's not so accurate :tongue:

I can't recall a single moment that I've been annoyed with you, I do recall that I thought you were a nice and good guy, and I respected you for being a hard worker, or eager though (is this true or am I going crazy?! :lol:). I'm extremely difficult to annoy so don't worry about it :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest