The Student Room Group

Deciding which business degrees are best

Okay so I'm currently in sixth form so my teachers are starting to pressure me about UCAS and personal statements and I'm starting to really freak out. Every time I think of a degree that I'd like to do (that's even if I want to go to university at all) I keep finding things that make me second doubt myself such as, is this degree worth it? Is it respected? Will I actually enjoy it? Will I get the grades necessary? I would ask my teachers these questions but they basically regurgitate the same stuff like "do what you enjoy".

Okay so I imagine you get the picture so I'll get to the point. I have no idea what degree to do and I need some serious help in deciding. Now I am interested in either doing something to do with business (broadly) or possibly history (but where does history take you right?) and I rather liked the sound of Business and Management Studies at Lancaster. So I guess what I am really asking is, is what business degrees are the most respected? Which ones don't seem like 'doss' degrees? And which ones cover a broad range so I can keep my options open in the future?

Grades:

GCSE English lang/lit- B
GCSE Maths- C
Other GCSEs- C and above
AS Psychology- C (might resit for B)
AS History- C
CTEC Business Studies Subsidiary Diploma- Distinction

Any help would be appreciated but the thing I would most like to know is what degrees to steer clear from in terms of business-like subjects (I've heard anything with the word "studies" in it is bad?). Thanks if you bothered to read this far.
(edited 9 years ago)
In terms of Business schools one way of spotting the best universities is to look which have business schools that have "triple accreditation" on their MBAs. While the MBAs themselves are postgrad, professional courses - business schools with triple accreditation tend to have a good international reputation as well as decent resources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_accreditation#UK lists the UK schools that this applies to (note not all of them are linked to a university and not all of those that are will also offer undergraduate degrees).

I'd suggest having a look at the courses available at a few of these universities - look at the modules they offer and try to find out some information about student satisfaction and what their graduates go on to do (https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/ provides some of this information but don't be afraid to dig around uni websites or email them to ask for more information).

Also if you're interested in history then find out if there's any flexibility on any of their courses to take history modules, or a combined course. And if not then what sort of involvement you could have in history clubs/societies outside your lessons.

In terms of employability - any course which offers a well organised sandwich year or work placement will be worthwhile.
Original post by PQ
In terms of Business schools one way of spotting the best universities is to look which have business schools that have "triple accreditation" on their MBAs. While the MBAs themselves are postgrad, professional courses - business schools with triple accreditation tend to have a good international reputation as well as decent resources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_accreditation#UK lists the UK schools that this applies to (note not all of them are linked to a university and not all of those that are will also offer undergraduate degrees).

I'd suggest having a look at the courses available at a few of these universities - look at the modules they offer and try to find out some information about student satisfaction and what their graduates go on to do (https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/ provides some of this information but don't be afraid to dig around uni websites or email them to ask for more information).

Also if you're interested in history then find out if there's any flexibility on any of their courses to take history modules, or a combined course. And if not then what sort of involvement you could have in history clubs/societies outside your lessons.

In terms of employability - any course which offers a well organised sandwich year or work placement will be worthwhile.

Well thanks for all your information and with such a quick reply, you've given somewhat of a good starting point here and I'm currently looking at Birmingham University in more detail, as well as looking more into Lancaster. As far as subjects with the word "studies" in though, what do you think? The general consensus I seem to have found is that they start making alarm bells ring in terms of them being a bad degree to have?
Reply 3
A business degree isn't worth the paper its wriiten on.

Source: has a BA hons Business Studies 2:1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrMango
A business degree isn't worth the paper its wriiten on.

Source: has a BA hons Business Studies 2:1

Posted from TSR Mobile

Care to expand on your point a little bit?
Reply 5
Original post by Dean Riding
Care to expand on your point a little bit?

self explanatory.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrMango
self explanatory.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay then, I guess I'll just drop all my ambitions of going to university for a degree in any area of business because one person, on a forum, who didn't have any real evidence once said "they're not worth the paper they're written on"
Okay so I'm currently in sixth form so my teachers are starting to pressure me about UCAS and personal statements and I'm starting to really freak out. Every time I think of a degree that I'd like to do (that's even if I want to go to university at all) I keep finding things that make me second doubt myself such as, is this degree worth it? Is it respected? Will I actually enjoy it? Will I get the grades necessary? I would ask my teachers these questions but they basically regurgitate the same stuff like "do what you enjoy".

Okay so I imagine you get the picture so I'll get to the point. I have no idea what degree to do and I need some serious help in deciding. Now I am interested in either doing something to do with business (broadly) or possibly history (but where does history take you right?) and I rather liked the sound of Business and Management Studies at Lancaster. So I guess what I am really asking is, is what business degrees are the most respected? Which ones don't seem like 'doss' degrees? And which ones cover a broad range so I can keep my options open in the future?

Grades:

GCSE English lang/lit- B
GCSE Maths- C
Other GCSEs- C and above
AS Psychology- C (might resit for B)
AS History- C
CTEC Business Studies Subsidiary Diploma- Distinction

Any help would be appreciated but the thing I would most like to know is what degrees to steer clear from in terms of business-like subjects (I've heard anything with the word "studies" in it is bad?). Thanks if you bothered to read this far.

My advice to you is go study abroad in English the largest amount of bachelor's degrees for this is abroad and a lot of it is very cheap/ no tuition and similar / lower living costs than the UK . Check out sites like
http://thestudentworld.com/
http://www.studyineurope.eu/
http://www.eunicas.co.uk/
You get a better degree going abroad as it shows your more outgoing and independent & you will be in the heart of Europe (where business goes down :wink:
However if you want to become your own self employed businessman then I suggest just starting up your own mini company whilst in 6form/uni e.g buy & sell on ebay, do a market stall, online shop etc etc if you need money to fund your business (what I'm doing now) you can get a part time job as well. Tbh if self employed is your main option as Richard Branson says "screw it just do it" don't waste your time doing a degree and just dive into the business world its very rewarding! Check out people like Richard Branson, Allan Sugar, David Karp etc
Good luck :smile:
Original post by TheElvenQueen
My advice to you is go study abroad in English the largest amount of bachelor's degrees for this is abroad and a lot of it is very cheap/ no tuition and similar / lower living costs than the UK . Check out sites like
http://thestudentworld.com/
http://www.studyineurope.eu/
http://www.eunicas.co.uk/
You get a better degree going abroad as it shows your more outgoing and independent & you will be in the heart of Europe (where business goes down :wink:
However if you want to become your own self employed businessman then I suggest just starting up your own mini company whilst in 6form/uni e.g buy & sell on ebay, do a market stall, online shop etc etc if you need money to fund your business (what I'm doing now) you can get a part time job as well. Tbh if self employed is your main option as Richard Branson says "screw it just do it" don't waste your time doing a degree and just dive into the business world its very rewarding! Check out people like Richard Branson, Allan Sugar, David Karp etc
Good luck :smile:

I've never really seriously considered going abroad tbh but there is a certain temptation.. And I wouldn't say that starting a business is my main option but I wouldn't rule it out, I just kinda wanna keep my options as open as possible you know :smile:
I've never really seriously considered going abroad tbh but there is a certain temptation.. And I wouldn't say that starting a business is my main option but I wouldn't rule it out, I just kinda wanna keep my options as open as possible you know :smile:

Ah I have the PERFECT degree for you if you want to keep your options open :biggrin:
This is a degree where by you pick from different sectors (e.g social science, humanities, science etc) and you can pick a wide variety of courses e.g history, entrepreneurship etc within those sections and depending which courses you pick you come out with a BA(bachelor of arts) or bachelor of sciences(BSc)
http://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/ is the most famous one for doing this course I think you will love it. Its designed so if your unsure what to do they give you a wide variety of subjects to pick from so essentially you make your own degree :smile:It's in the Netherlands so it is very close to the UK. http://www.rug.nl/ in the Netherlands also has this course but Maastricht have a larger variety available.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Okay then, I guess I'll just drop all my ambitions of going to university for a degree in any area of business because one person, on a forum, who didn't have any real evidence once said "they're not worth the paper they're written on"

Tell me where I stated you should drop your ambitionsns based on my post.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrMango
Tell me where I stated you should drop your ambitionsns based on my post.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You didn't explicitly say it, but from what you said, I inferred that was the general gist of what you were saying and the point you were trying to get across.
Reply 12
You didn't explicitly say it, but from what you said, I inferred that was the general gist of what you were saying and the point you were trying to get across.

Tell me an area of "business" you couldn't get into without a degree in business.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrMango
Tell me an area of "business" you couldn't get into without a degree in business.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly, I don't know, but you don't seem like you wanted to offer any kind of constructive argument to the discussion. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's not the fact that you need a degree in business to get to certain roles, but I imagine it would make it easier in at least some cases. There are always exceptions.
Reply 14
Honestly, I don't know, but you don't seem like you wanted to offer any kind of constructive argument to the discussion. Anyway, I'm pretty sure it's not the fact that you need a degree in business to get to certain roles, but I imagine it would make it easier in at least some cases. There are always exceptions.

you answered your own question without realising. I'm going to be 100% honest with you..There is no job a business degree will help with.. if you wanted to do business and marketing you dont need a business or marketing degree as a moron with no GCSEs could get into marketing with. If your interested in any kind of business management role dont bother... mangers usually dont get taken on as mangers without either having managerial experience or working their way up. If you actually told me the specific area you wanted to go in I could go into great detail.
Posted from TSR Mobile
OP, the fact that universities throughout the world, including the elite universities offer business / management degrees, must mean something as these universities need to serve the needs of students as well as the world at large. Anyone who claims such degrees are not useful actually have little basis to support their claims.

More importantly is what do you want or love to do and what you are good at. You should have a serious decision with your school's career counsellor. If you are not sure of what course to take and what is your career path, then that is the first thing to do.

Nevertheless, a business studies or similarly sounding 'general' degree, is actually a good degree for people who are not sure of their career. Yes, it is a general degree but it is also a degree that allows you to start focussing on any discipline you may discover a liking for in your first or second year. Most business degrees allow you to select options, especially in 3rd year. And, actually, the most important thing any degree should teach you is to be able to think, and a business degree helps to open up, introduce and discuss the issues that are in each area of business, be it in marketing, in operations management, in human resource management, in information management, …. it is actually applicable over very wide areas of real working life ….. and that's why so many universities have such courses as it helps prepare you for the real world. Sure, there are people who did not complete a degree and who are also successful. With the exception of professional disciplines, one actually does not need a degree to be successful - IF you are one of those who have the ability to acquire knowledge on the go, like many of those successful entrepreneurs without any degree. But, a degree helps to give you a foundation, to help give us a kick start in the right direction. A business degree opens up many doors and prepares you better than a specialized degree even though specialized degrees such as Economics are excellent in their own right.

In the end, attitude is everything ….. as they say ... attitude determines altitude.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending