The Student Room Group

1,3 dioxane NMR help

How do you work out the splitting patterns for 1,3 dioxane , it was a question on a past paper and dont know how they got there answer.
Original post by haseebi82
How do you work out the splitting patterns for 1,3 dioxane , it was a question on a past paper and don't know how they got there answer.

There are three environments.

The 2H environment on C2 is not split it has no adjacent hydrogen atoms.

The 2H environments on C4 and C6 are chemically identical giving a 4H integral. These are split into a triplet by the 2H on C5

2H on C5 has integral 2 and is split into a multiplet by the 4H equivalent (C4 & C6)

... and here it is!

1,3-dioxane_nmr.gif
(edited 9 years ago)
thanks I think i understand it now, I just need to remind my self of multiplets :smile:
Original post by charco

The 2H environments on C4 and C6 are chemically identical giving a 4H integral. These are split into a triplet by the 2H on C5

2H on C5 has integral 2 and is split into a multiplet by the 4H equivalent (C4 & C6)

... and here it is!

1,3-dioxane_nmr.gif

one more thing, you know how theres ---O---CH2----O-- in its structure , why does the CH2 not split the O to cause a singlet
one more thing, you know how theres ---O---CH2----O-- in its structure , why does the CH2 not split the O to cause a singlet

Proton!!!! NMR.... we only measure the signals caused by the interaction of the Hydrogen nuclei with the spectrometer
so does the Singlet have 2 protons in its environment
The triplet have 4 protons in its environment
and the multiplet have two protons in its environment
Original post by charco

... and here it is!

1,3-dioxane_nmr.gif

:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest