The Student Room Group

University of Malta Medicine 2015

Scroll to see replies

How is everyone finding the course? I didn't apply but I'm really curious as to how everyone is finding it. Personally I think the very low pass mark must be there for a reason, this whole course seems basically impossible to do. :/ Having said that, good luck to everyone!
Reply 301
Malteser here.

I'm going up to 3rd year (i.e. beginning my clinical years) and I can assure you the course is FAR from impossible and negative marking has been almost completely phased out in the pre-clinical years. In fact I found my BSc as being way more difficult, at least compared to the pre-clinical years.
Original post by detox29
Malteser here.

I'm going up to 3rd year (i.e. beginning my clinical years) and I can assure you the course is FAR from impossible and negative marking has been almost completely phased out in the pre-clinical years. In fact I found my BSc as being way more difficult, at least compared to the pre-clinical years.

I think it is the certificate in Medical Maltese Course that is being described as near impossible, not the MD course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 303
Original post by Heinz59
I think it is the certificate in Medical Maltese Course that is being described as near impossible, not the MD course.

Oh, that makes more sense. Unfortunately, Maltese is notoriously not an easy language to learn despite its use of the Roman alphabet - certain phonetics can prove very tricky (the letter "q" is almost impossible for most foreigners to pronounce).

If anyone has any questions relating to the language, or indeed the course, feel free to ask.
Hey guys quick questions,
I had an offer to study medicine in the UK, but I got AAB in my results (missed out by 10 UMS D: - it sucks!)

So, I wondered if taking a gap year and applying to European medical schools was a good idea.

I would obviously have to apply next year, but with those people who have an offer from Malta, would my grades be ok to apply?
Original post by WannabeDoctor03
Hey guys quick questions,
I had an offer to study medicine in the UK, but I got AAB in my results (missed out by 10 UMS D: - it sucks!)

So, I wondered if taking a gap year and applying to European medical schools was a good idea.

I would obviously have to apply next year, but with those people who have an offer from Malta, would my grades be ok to apply?

I am in exactly the same boat as you (missed OCR biology by 8 UMS and got AAB!).
But sorry you can't apply to Malta because you have to get AAA within 2 years of A levels so I think if you resit it doesn't count because you'll get your A level grades over 3 years.

Good luck, let me know how it goes. :smile:
Reply 306
Quick question about university of Malta medical school,i sat my A levels over 3 years (re sat my AS in a different school) would that mean i cant apply
thanks
Hello :smile: i'm hoping to apply later this year and was just wondering, if you are a graduate predicted a class1 degree do they still expect you to have the relevant A levels too - i'm doing a Chemistry Degree with French however- I do not have A level Biology in the same sitting as my other A levels. Will this be a problem?

Original post by TheStoryteller
I believe the 1st or 2:1 will be sufficient for entry into the programme but if for some reason they feel it's not enough then they will ask you to take some exams but it depends on the board's decision. There are usually quite a lot of graduates from the UK and from other countries (mostly European since it's free) so you won't be alone for sure :smile:

As for the Medical Maltese Proficiency Certificate exam, I'm not quite sure what it entails but I'm assuming it would be similar to my Maltese SEC (GCSE-equivalent) exam since it's what they require from you, but based on medical terminology. It's all very vague on their website so I'm afraid you'll have to call up the uni/send them an email :redface:

Hope this helped :h:
Reply 308
Original post by mggaf
The admissions office are giving the vague answer of before the end of April you will get an email. Im sure most of us applying will be enlightened within the next 2 weeks.

Hello! :smile: I'm really sorry about bring this back up, especially as this thread is from last year.
As a student studying in the UK, I have my predicted grade in Chemistry, Biology and History AAB, but I am really quite confused about the entry tests needed for University of Malta.... could you help me a bit? xx
Thank you!
Original post by Kay101
Hello! :smile: I'm really sorry about bring this back up, especially as this thread is from last year.
As a student studying in the UK, I have my predicted grade in Chemistry, Biology and History AAB, but I am really quite confused about the entry tests needed for University of Malta.... could you help me a bit? xx
Thank you!

I believe the tests are only for people with undergraduate degrees who haven't studied biology and chemistry for some time (but I stand to be corrected). You'll definitely need to get AAA though because I don't think they can accept the B in History :s-smilie: (but again I'm not sure if there are any exceptions to this etc).
Reply 310
Original post by TheStoryteller
I believe the tests are only for people with undergraduate degrees who haven't studied biology and chemistry for some time (but I stand to be corrected). You'll definitely need to get AAA though because I don't think they can accept the B in History :s-smilie: (but again I'm not sure if there are any exceptions to this etc).

I don't know, I'm going to have a go with my predictions anyways, I haven't really got anything to lose.
Do you know much about the Maltese Proficiency Test?
Original post by Kay101
I don't know, I'm going to have a go with my predictions anyways, I haven't really got anything to lose.
Do you know much about the Maltese Proficiency Test?

Yeah definitely, after all it's the grades you'll achieve which will count :smile:

As for the test you should be able to find a lot of information scattered throughout the thread. i don't know much about it unfortunately; I know that there is a course which is offered from the end of June to help you learn the material you'll need (at a bit of a cost) for the exam and then there's the exam at the end of it. As for the material I'm afraid I have no clue whatsoever. I'd imagine it includes basic Maltese skills you'll need during your clinical years at the hospital (as in, phrases and vocabulary to interact with patients etc).
Hi everyone,

I'm a medical student in the UK but taking a gap year now. I'm applying to transfer to 3rd year of Medicine in Malta for entry in October 2016. I'll be submitting my application by March and then hopefully sitting the 6 exams (including the Medical Maltese Proficiency Test) next September. However, my main concern is how I can start revising for the Maltese exam in the meantime. Hopefully I'll be able to go to the 3-month course from June but 6000 Euros for the course and the exam is pretty expensive. Any advice for the application and revising for the exams would be much appreciated. :smile:
Original post by Ara20112
Hello :smile: i'm hoping to apply later this year and was just wondering, if you are a graduate predicted a class1 degree do they still expect you to have the relevant A levels too - i'm doing a Chemistry Degree with French however- I do not have A level Biology in the same sitting as my other A levels. Will this be a problem?

Thanks so much!
Original post by mggaf
I haven't really done much chemistry since college and working full time so you're not alone

Hi

I am just wondering how did the entrance exam turn out.

I am a pharmacy graduate applying for October 2016 entry.

Any help would be great

Thanks

Aoife
Original post by detox29
Oh, that makes more sense. Unfortunately, Maltese is notoriously not an easy language to learn despite its use of the Roman alphabet - certain phonetics can prove very tricky (the letter "q" is almost impossible for most foreigners to pronounce).

If anyone has any questions relating to the language, or indeed the course, feel free to ask.

Hi there

I am just wondering do you know how many non Maltese graduate students they take in a year?

Also , do you know where I would be able to find information about the entrance exam as I will be a graduate applicant?

Reply 316
Hi storyteller,

I recently called the maltese admissions office, and was told, quite clearly, that english students need to achieve three As at a level and subjects, including As level, need to include a language and humanities. With two As and a B, I was told I would have to resit all three Alevels and achieve three As in one sitting. so could you please tell me who furnished you with your information; I would seriously like to talk to them... For other students wishing to apply, it's getting harder, as you now need to take and pass the maltese profiency course which costs approx. 5000 euros. await your reply storyteller.

virgo
Reply 317
Original post by Virgo99
Hi storyteller,

I recently called the maltese admissions office, and was told, quite clearly, that english students need to achieve three As at a level and subjects, including As level, need to include a language and humanities. With two As and a B, I was told I would have to resit all three Alevels and achieve three As in one sitting. so could you please tell me who furnished you with your information; I would seriously like to talk to them... For other students wishing to apply, it's getting harder, as you now need to take and pass the maltese profiency course which costs approx. 5000 euros. await your reply storyteller.

virgo

On their website they said that you can apply with the three AAA in humanities, language and science but right below it says that you can apply with biology, chemistry, another A level and a pass in another AS level. I feel like they are being quite contradictory. Please can you tell me what exactly they said when you called them.
Hey, just a quick heads up for anyone still worried about the A level results. I obtained BBBb over three years and a 2:2 in a clinical sciences and was still offered an unconditional place last year provided I passed the maltese proficiency exam. I appreciate this is slightly anomalous but would encourage anyone sitting on the fence to apply regardless as the admissions criteria isn't as clear cut as you might expect. Also in regards to the maltese exam, I'm afraid unless you have any sort of thorough background with the language, taking the course is the only viable route. The level of detail and the obscurity of some of the medical terminology is quite prohibitive given there are literally no alternative resources to consult. To be fair the standard of teaching is much higher than what they actually require and the exam last year was fairly rote and formulaic. We were informed they were considering making it harder this year unfortunately however. I can honestly say the experience is fully worth it if you can though, you get to spend the entire summer here and explore all the island has to offer whilst getting to know all your fellow international students properly. It's ideal considering that whilst the maltese kids are lovely, the internationals tend to associate/live with each other much more often. Good luck to all those applying for 2016 though, wish you all the best x
Reply 319
Original post by powerpuff92
Hi there

I am just wondering do you know how many non Maltese graduate students they take in a year?

Also , do you know where I would be able to find information about the entrance exam as I will be a graduate applicant?

Hi powerpuff92, did you find anything out about the entrance exam in the end?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending