The Student Room Group

Apprenticeship VS A Level

Hello, i am just wondering what peoples opinions/experiences are, and whether you would advise to carry on the second year of A Levels or drop out of college as an apprenticeship has come up. What would look better for future employers etc?
Original post by chloeee-_-
Hello, i am just wondering what peoples opinions/experiences are, and whether you would advise to carry on the second year of A Levels or drop out of college as an apprenticeship has come up. What would look better for future employers etc?

yeah i feel you, just started sixth form and absolutely hate it, the pressure is limitless
Reply 2
Original post by chloeee-_-

I have a friend who dropped out of A-Levels this year to go onto do architecture. While I can't say how well he's done from it as he's only just started, imo if you aren't enjoying A-Levels... Don't do them. No point wasting two years of your life doing something you don't want to do especially if it will result in bad A2 grades
I know some people on here will disagree with me, but don't worry too much about future employers yet. Do what you want to do and what you think is best for you. For example if you are struggling with A2 and really have a passion for the apprenticeship that's come up then I'd say go for it! Equally if the apprenticeship is just an escape but you could cope at A2 then it'd be good to stay.
On the whole I'd recommend staying and finishing A2 as it does give you more of a back-up, unless the apprenticeship is something you're seriously interested in pursuing.
Nowadays it all about experience I hear. Apprenticeship is good as there will be NO stress at all and you can do something you enjoy getting paid. A-levels tones of STRESS:s-smilie: for me doing bio, chem, maths, psychology what stressfull is that I get homework and always forget it I have that habit that I need to get out of. but its difficult to balance revision time with college work. that why I think apprenticeships better overall. there are disadvantages to both them such as apprenticeships get paid lower and after degree you will be in debt alot of money. But there are the advantages of them as well which u probably kno. it your choice at the end of the day.:smile:
I've always gone by the 'do what makes you happy' rule. If you really hate A-Levels, there's plenty of other things out there, but you need to keep in mind that A-Levels can set you apart from the rest. There's going to be 100's of people just like you who have left school and want to do an apprenticeship instead of A-Levels, what's going to make you stand out? Apprenticeships are in no way easy to get, especially as a school leaver and if you end up getting a full-time job instead I can almost guarantee it'll be more tedious than A-Levels.

I was in the exact same situation as you, but as much as I hated it I stuck it out and I don't regret my decision at all (although I didn't work anywhere near as hard as I could/should have). It opens up so many more doors for different careers and university and definitely makes you more employable.

At the end of the day it's your decision, but if I were you i'd bite the bullet and stick it out as the end result is so worth it. It's hard work and can be stressful but I think you'd regret it if you left. This time next year you'll be in a much better place if you stay and work hard. It's not always as simple as 'do what makes you happy' as you'll have to do things you hate to get there, this is probably just one of those things you need to overcome to get where you want to be.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending