The Student Room Group

How competitive is nursing? Do I have a chance?

I'm really interested in studying adult nursing as an undergraduate course at university, I'm currently in year 12 and study Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Psychology. I achieved an A in AS level Maths during high school, along with 5 A*s, 4 As and 1 B at GCSE. Whilst I haven't learnt of my predicted grades for A Level I imagine they will either be AAA or BBB.

I have a part time job at a clothes retail store, I am currently just filing a DBS to volunteer in a care home and I'm a member of my school's Student Body.

Sorry to give you my life story lol but I want tips on what to do to improve my chances- extra curriculars, background reading, anything really you think relates to nursing.

So what do you think? Do I have a chance? What do other hopefuls do? If you study nursing yourself can you recommend any universities? I'd much prefer a PBL or integrated type course with perhaps opportunity for placements in hospitals? Thanks for any input!
All nursing courses are a mix of placement and theory, just to get that out the way. You can see for yourself which are academically 'best' by using university comparison websites, but when it comes down to it no one else can tell you which university is best for you, you need to go to open days and experience the environment. Also, you won't get your predicted grades until the start of year 13, so don't bother trying to predict them for yourself- there's a reason they don't calculate them until after AS levels. Nursing courses vary in entry, ranging from BCC to ABB, but ideally you should have a range of different entry requirements. I haven't quite done this as all of mine are BBB!

As for experience, yours looks good. It's all about relatable skills. Try and get some experience in a hospital environment. Also, make sure you have some outside interess such as sport- they want to see that you're a well rounded person.

Don't stress too much about uni until after exams, as this year you really just need to get your head down.
Good luck!
You have a fantastic chance of becoming a nurse? But with those grades also consider medicine, dentistry etc.... To behonest they are crying out for nurses, so anybody with a half decent grade portfolio will get in. I think your doing the right thing going to a nursing home, it will help you make up your mind also.

Listen currently there is a huge shortage of nurses, so there are plenty of jobs... As unfortunately 50% I newly qualifieds leave after 2 years of practice which is rather depressing. The trusts are currently bringing in nurses from aboard as the truth be told a lot of UK born nurses, won't work as they feel undervalued and can get better money abroad.

As a nurse you get to help people while they are vulnerable, you are semi-autonomous and you have a career path. It is very physically and emotionally demanding bare that in mind. But imagine the difference you make to people's lives... You will save countless amounts... There is no price on that my friend.

The training is very hard and you'll learn a lot about life as you complete it, plus the degree is free so if it doesn't suite not to much has been lost.

Quick Reply

Latest