The Student Room Group

So is C1 A* GCSE maths work with some added parts?

This may sound as a stupid question as I know that A level Maths and GCSE are completely different, as A level Maths in harder. However I would like to know, with AS Maths C1 doesn't seem harder, it seems to be GCSE stuff expect for the last two chapters? At what stage would it stop being GCSE stuff and become harder?
Original post by Cherry82
This may sound as a stupid question as I know that A level Maths and GCSE are completely different, as A level Maths in harder. However I would like to know, with AS Maths C1 doesn't seem harder, it seems to be GCSE stuff expect for the last two chapters? At what stage would it stop being GCSE stuff and become harder?

For me, I knew about everything in core 1 with the exception of maybe one or two new things after an A* at GCSE maths and an A at GCSE additional maths. As long as you did well at GCSE you shouldnt struggle too much
No, I don't think so. The content in C1 isn't much more difficult than GCSE, but the actual exam questions are quite a bit more sophisticated.
Reply 3
Original post by Chlorophile
No, I don't think so. The content in C1 isn't much more difficult than GCSE, but the actual exam questions are quite a bit more sophisticated.

I see, thank you for replying to me.
Reply 4
(This is from what I experienced last year, having done Edexcel Maths at GCSE and then Edexcel Maths AS Level)
C1 has essentially very similar content but less of it, in that there is not much data handling etc (which is covered in any Statistics modules you may do) or the more Physics-related work (which is covered in any Mechanics modules you may do). Since there's less of it, you tend to go into a bit more depth and do more practice for the work that is included.
The final two chapters of the book are integration and differentiation (from that I remember?) and whilst that is new material to learn, it's not particularly difficult.
Essentially, C1 is there to make sure you have a good foundation for the following Core modules.
Just because it's going well so far doesn't mean much, to be quite honest! Last year, I got an A in C1 but a C in C2...
Reply 5
C1 is incredibly easy and very similar to A* topics from GCSE yes. But the questions are still harder and often build up lots of different maths which is more A level style. Differentiation and some geometry were the only new things and they weren't too hard. Don't get cocky, keep revising and you'll do fine. There is a small jump to C2, but a significant jump to A2 (though don't be disheartened, I scored better at A2 than AS, it's definitely doable)
would say its more or less a slice of OCR FSMQ Advanced; found it immensely piss.
Reply 7
Yeah I would agree C1 is the nearly all stuff you already know if you did well at GCSE

Quick Reply

Latest