The Student Room Group

Show that x= -1 is a root of the equation

Hey guys,

For FP1 Exercise 1H, I am told to show that x=-1 is a root of the equation x^3+9x^2+33x+25=0

I subbed in -1 to get 0 and stated that x+1 is a factor.

However I am unsure about how to go on from here. I think it is polynomial division but I don't know how to do it.

-Binary

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BinaryJava
Hey guys,

For FP1 Exercise 1H, I am told to show that x=-1 is a root of the equation x^3+9x^2+33x+25=0

However I am unsure about how to go on from here. I think it is polynomial division but I don't know how to do it.

-Binary

Is there more to the question?

If not, then f(a) = 0 shows that a is a factor
Hey guys,

-Binary

You have shown that x = -1 is a root by subbing -1 and getting 0. Just announce that it is a root.
Reply 3
Original post by TenOfThem
Is there more to the question?

If not, then f(a) = 0 shows that a is a factor

Hence solve the equation completely

ok

So, are you saying that you do not know how to find the corresponding quadratic

Yeah, you need to divide f (x) by (x+1). Have a look at the C2 book, chapter 1 I think, which explains how to divide polynomials.

When you have divided it, you'll get a quadratic which will most likely have complex roots (it is FP1). Just complete the square and it'll be all good.

There will be one real root and two complex roots, which will be conjugates of each other.

(x+1)(ax^2 +bx +c) multiply out and equate the coefficients to find out what a, b and c is. you should then be able to find out the other 2 roots by factorising or quadratic formula. since its a fp1 question most likely you'd have to use the quadratic formula and the other 2 roots would be complex numbers.
Reply 7
Original post by TenOfThem
ok

So, are you saying that you do not know how to find the corresponding quadratic

Yep, I was thinking about factorizing but I can't see any solution doing this
Yep, I was thinking about factorizing but I can't see any solution doing this

There are a number of methods, algebraic long division, recognition, or as Nitrogen says, equating coefficients

Are you familiar with any of this
Reply 9
Original post by KaptainCliff
Yeah, you need to divide f (x) by (x+1). Have a look at the C2 book, chapter 1 I think, which explains how to divide polynomials.

When you have divided it, you'll get a quadratic which will most likely have complex roots (it is FP1). Just complete the square and it'll be all good.

There will be one real root and two complex roots, which will be conjugates of each other.

My school hasn't looked through the C2 book yet and I don't have one on hand.
My school hasn't looked through the C2 book yet and I don't have one on hand.

Is it just easier if I tell you the result is x^2+8x+25?

Don't just give solutions.
Reply 12

How is that going to help the OP the next time he gets one of these problems to solve? :smile:
If you'd like to see my (partially) annotated working, I've added a photo. I'm not a teacher, and it's difficult to explain how to divide polynomials on TSR, but this is the best explanation I can offer.
Original post by cambo211
Don't just give solutions.

If you'd like to see my (partially) annotated working, I've added a photo. I'm not a teacher, and it's difficult to explain how to divide polynomials on TSR, but this is the best explanation I can offer.

Don't give solutions, you've already been told.
Original post by james22
Don't give solutions, you've already been told.

I've explained my working.

It's no help if I just explain how to get the result, because there will always be the uncertainty with doing something new in maths. Giving the result just solves things until the OP has been taught how to divide polynomials.
Reply 16

It's no help if I just explain how to get the result, because there will always be the uncertainty with doing something new in maths. Giving the result just solves things until the OP has been taught how to divide polynomials.

Er, no it doesn't!

The OP needs to learn and practise polynomial division, and then he will have the confidence to tackle the problem by himself :smile:

It doesn't matter, the rules are very clear on this. You are not allowed to give full solutions unless as a last resort.
Original post by james22
It doesn't matter, the rules are very clear on this. You are not allowed to give full solutions unless as a last resort.

I didn't know there were rules on helping a person in need.
I didn't know there were rules on helping a person in need.

On the maths forum page there is a post near the top saying "Sticky: Guide to posting in the Maths forum - PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING!!!", it has all the rules in.

The reason it is banned is because it isn't helping people.

Quick Reply

Latest