The Student Room Group

EPQ ideas for Denstistry

(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
I did mine on the links between gingivitis/periodontal disease and other diseases about 2 years ago. Take a look through some dental journals and see if you can find anything controversial/interesting if your looking for ideas and just branch off from that.
Original post by dbeith
Hey, im about to start my epq and trying to find enough information to write about it proving difficult.

I have a few ideas on titles, however any help would be appreciated.

The effects of using fluoride in toothpaste? Fluoridisation?

the use of amalgam in fillings, and whether there is actually any evidence of harm from the (toxic) mercury which is in the amalgam?

Thanking once again

Try to choose a topic that has some sort of controversy but isn't too common.. fluoridation of water/ fluoride in toothpaste seems like a great topic but when I had a mock dental interview with one of my tutors and I brought up the fluoridation topic she literally rolled her eyes. I guess everyone's been talking so much about the topic that it's become a little bit boring. If you're applying for dentistry yourself choose a topic that you can easily talk about in interviews and that will get the admissions really interested! Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to put you off the fluoridation topic.. go for it and make it real unique if you could! Gooood luck :smile:
Original post by dbeith
I was thinking about doing my project based on the Steele project on the pilot system any opinions?

what gcse's and a levels did you get i want to do dentistry too
Original post by dbeith
GCSE i got 5A* 6A 1B and alevel choices ive done Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics and EPQ

what is EPQ, I'm thinking of taking maths chemistry biology and textiles for a level would this be suitable?
Original post by dbeith
EPQ is a 5000 word essay on anything you would like in simple terms. In terms of a level they seem fine however it may be worth to check on the university websites before choosing

ahh okay, thanks a lot

Quick Reply

Latest