The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Questions for UOL students

Hi,
I am in my A2 year and I have received an offer to study English and Communication studies. If you don't mind, could you please answer a few questions? Thank you! :smile:

1. What is included in the welcome pack and is freshers week based on campus or around the city? Is it easy to make friends?

2. How many people are present in a typical lecture and how does the teaching environment differ from sixth form?

3. Is living in halls a sociable place where you can make friends easily? Is it really rowdy on a night time when you're in bed?

4. What is living in halls like? eg facilities, room size, experience ect

And finally, anyone who is studying English or Communication studies. What is the work load like and are you enjoying the course?

I appreciate any answers. Thank you!
Reply 1
Original post by madeofstone1804
Hi,
I am in my A2 year and I have received an offer to study English and Communication studies. If you don't mind, could you please answer a few questions? Thank you! :smile:

1. What is included in the welcome pack and is freshers week based on campus or around the city? Is it easy to make friends?

2. How many people are present in a typical lecture and how does the teaching environment differ from sixth form?

3. Is living in halls a sociable place where you can make friends easily? Is it really rowdy on a night time when you're in bed?

And finally, anyone who is studying English or Communication studies. What is the work load like and are you enjoying the course?

Freshers week is activities mostly on campus or halls of residence. There may be trips to other places you can book on but they won't be sending you all over city as everything is on campus which is in a small area within the city. It's easy to make friends if you make the effort. You can make fr
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
Sorry it cut off. You can make friends on your course in your halls or in societies. So you will make friends somewhere or maybe all three. In a lecture they may be 100 max and that is a shut up and listen while taking notes kind of thing. Seminars are 10 max then they want to hear your opinion on the lecture and the independent reading you have done before hand. They are different in that you need to be independent, do your own work and participate. They won't give you much help. Lots of independent learning and no kind words if you make a mistake you have to be an adult and live with the consequences. Halls is best for first years. It is most likely were you will make your first friends and they become like family. It can be rowdy especially during freshers but there are people you can call if the noise is too much. Plus there are residential advisors who are in charge of keeping people I'm check. The experience is good but don't expect luxury from carnatic or greenbank. They are fine and I kept mine nice but if you know you are going to be a princess go to vine court or crown place. Facilities depend. You should go on the uni website to see details. Some have kitchens for self catered some en suite some not. It's up to you. Everything is small though as you have thousands of students in the same complex. Small is good when you start less to clean and you won't bring everything to uni anyway.
Reply 3
I can only talk for English but I found the work load easier than a level. Work is hard but there is physically less of it. Some people do all the reading and more some people do none. You will spend time in the library and you probably will do an all-night stint I'm there at some point but that is only because people don't manage their work load not because they give you unreasonable amounts of work. Third year is the best because you get to do whatever modules you like. Have fun. I'd love to go back and do it again if I could. If you are into anything dramay LUDS is the best society, it was the best thing I did at uni definitely. Good luck.
Original post by anne93
I can only talk for English but I found the work load easier than a level. Work is hard but there is physically less of it. Some people do all the reading and more some people do none. You will spend time in the library and you probably will do an all-night stint I'm there at some point but that is only because people don't manage their work load not because they give you unreasonable amounts of work. Third year is the best because you get to do whatever modules you like. Have fun. I'd love to go back and do it again if I could. If you are into anything dramay LUDS is the best society, it was the best thing I did at uni definitely. Good luck.

Thank you so so much, that was really helpful!
Original post by madeofstone1804
Hi,

Hey! I am in my first year living at crown. Freshers week is what you make it! All depends on who your living with if you like going out etc! This year the guild opened so a lot went off on campus, they were good as we had basshunter etc however a lot then went into town after a while, just because it can get boring! Freshers week is exhausting so be prepared to sleep! You meet so many people but it's all in the name of fun! Friends wise, if your happy to chat to people your fine! You automaticallyhave friends in your flat, some you will like more than others! You meet people in lectures etc. Just make sure you be brave and say hi!

2. Size it depends on your course! I take psychology and can have up to 150-200 in a lecture. We have praticals that have about 15 and tutorials with about 5 of us! Very different to sixth form, lectures you sit and listen! We have two hour lectures however it differs for everyone. Tutorial reminds me of sixthform which is basically meeting with your academic advisor and going over things! My flat mate does English lit n Lang and has about 100 in lectures roughly!

3. I live in crown(campus halls) and enjoy it! i would be lying if I said it wasn't noisy! The higher up the quieter,But it's all in the name of fun! Weds/fri/ sat nights tend to be loud but if you shut your window you hardly hear anything! How sociable depends on who your living with, I think halls such as Carnatic/greenbank etc may be a little more social just due to the set out etc but still many flat parties have been held here!

4. Definitely recommend halls! You get to hear about all that's going on. Rooms in crown are fab, everything you need! Check the uol website for info on everything that's included.

Shopping in liverpool is fab, people are lovely, uni is great and I would definitely recommend! If you have any questions let me know. 😀
Thank you! I definitely feel more informed now! Xx
Reply 7
Original post by Emma1511062
Hey! I am in my first year living at crown. Freshers week is what you make it! All depends on who your living with if you like going out etc! This year the guild opened so a lot went off on campus, they were good as we had basshunter etc however a lot then went into town after a while, just because it can get boring! Freshers week is exhausting so be prepared to sleep! You meet so many people but it's all in the name of fun! Friends wise, if your happy to chat to people your fine! You automaticallyhave friends in your flat, some you will like more than others! You meet people in lectures etc. Just make sure you be brave and say hi!

2. Size it depends on your course! I take psychology and can have up to 150-200 in a lecture. We have praticals that have about 15 and tutorials with about 5 of us! Very different to sixth form, lectures you sit and listen! We have two hour lectures however it differs for everyone. Tutorial reminds me of sixthform which is basically meeting with your academic advisor and going over things! My flat mate does English lit n Lang and has about 100 in lectures roughly!

3. I live in crown(campus halls) and enjoy it! i would be lying if I said it wasn't noisy! The higher up the quieter,But it's all in the name of fun! Weds/fri/ sat nights tend to be loud but if you shut your window you hardly hear anything! How sociable depends on who your living with, I think halls such as Carnatic/greenbank etc may be a little more social just due to the set out etc but still many flat parties have been held here!

4. Definitely recommend halls! You get to hear about all that's going on. Rooms in crown are fab, everything you need! Check the uol website for info on everything that's included.

Shopping in liverpool is fab, people are lovely, uni is great and I would definitely recommend! If you have any questions let me know. ������

Crown sounds really good! just wondering how many people do you share a kitchen with or are on your floor?
Everyone else seems to have got the most sociable flatmates, it can be depressing if you are put into a flat with the wrong people which has happened to me and I'm really not liking it here because of that.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending