The Student Room Group

Warwick Graduate Entry Medicine (GEM) Applicants 2016

I want to apply to study at Warwick in 2016 with aspirations of becoming either a GP or a psychiatrist. I am swaying towards GP but academically I have a mental health background as I have a 2:1degree I psychology.

From what I have read the program at Warwick looks amazing and I intend to visit an open day next year.

The area I am lacking in is relevant work experience so I am going to look for a job as a HCA for when I return to England in July (I am currently in Spain).

I was in St John's Ambulance when I was younger so I have some experience from that but I need something more hospital-based, I am looking for some voluntary work for the weekends at the moment.

What sort of experience does everybody else have?

I am also going to research other programs to see what other schools are worth applying to but the Warwick seems stellar!
Reply 1
- Experience needs to be recent, about 2 to 3 years ideally.
- HCA work takes a while to get. Start applying as soon as you can. People I work with have sometimes taken up to 6 months to begin work, that's 6 months post interview offer of a job. So not even including time prior to receiving interview invite.
- Way too early to be knocking in choices already. Look around with as open a mind as you can and apply to your strengths.
Reply 2
Original post by Zorg
- Experience needs to be recent, about 2 to 3 years ideally.
- HCA work takes a while to get. Start applying as soon as you can. People I work with have sometimes taken up to 6 months to begin work, that's 6 months post interview offer of a job. So not even including time prior to receiving interview invite.
- Way too early to be knocking in choices already. Look around with as open a mind as you can and apply to your strengths.

Damn ok, I didn't realise that there would be such a wait for the HCA roles. Is it similar for most roles in the NHS? I am definitely keeping an open mind but Warwick seems like an ideal course and I feel like I am a suitable candidate.

I guess I should begin my search for employment now then.
Reply 3
Has anyone else noticed the drastic change in selection centre dates for Warwick (8-10th June)? This is a great change as far as im concerned, but can anyone comment on the reliability of these dates? in the past has Warwick been fairly accurate with selection centre dates? here's the link http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/med/study/ugr/mbchb_new/applying/selectioncentre/
Original post by Testmed
Has anyone else noticed the drastic change in selection centre dates for Warwick (8-10th June)? This is a great change as far as im concerned, but can anyone comment on the reliability of these dates? in the past has Warwick been fairly accurate with selection centre dates? here's the link http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/med/study/ugr/mbchb_new/applying/selectioncentre/

This is probably due to the fact that this year they were almost the last interviews and as a result a lot of people had already accepted offers elsewhere and declined their interviews. This led to a lot of wasted time for interviewers since there were spaces in almost all interview groups apparently. They probably just want to make sure that they'll have a full interview schedule as they may think they've missed out on some of the top candidates by being so late in the interview season?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by JenniB22
This is probably due to the fact that this year they were almost the last interviews and as a result a lot of people had already accepted offers elsewhere and declined their interviews. This led to a lot of wasted time for interviewers since there were spaces in almost all interview groups apparently. They probably just want to make sure that they'll have a full interview schedule as they may think they've missed out on some of the top candidates by being so late in the interview season?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats a good point Jeni. I phone Warwick the other day to ask and they couldn't confirm the date, but said if its on the site its accurate. I hope this is the case because getting the interview out the way earlier is far better IMO
Original post by Testmed
Thats a good point Jeni. I phone Warwick the other day to ask and they couldn't confirm the date, but said if its on the site its accurate. I hope this is the case because getting the interview out the way earlier is far better IMO

Definitely. I was actually one of those who declined an interview spot a couple of weeks before the date because I'd had 2 other offers by that point and decided to accept one of them. If it had been earlier id have gone along, and who knows if I'd have made the same choices! FYI they're usually pretty accurate with their dates once they're on the website :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Testmed

Wow that is early
Has anyone heard anything yet?
Just the email to say they received it today. They say interviews will go out in December on their website.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by acci0katie
Anyone else heard yet? I got my offer yesterday, so excited :-)

This is the wrong thread for Warwick GEM 2016 entry..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending