The Student Room Group

A2 Language investigation, can anyone please help?

Hi!

I hope everyone is having fun with their investigations-

I am looking at language use in Personal ads and seeing if it differs between gender, i was just wondering has anyone any advice/tips and suggestions, or the various linguistic devices used in different ads- including any other areas of the framework.

I have collected my primary research (sample ads) and i am analysing them, just wanted to check what i may be missing in them!

Also, i am using a questionnaire as a method of research- i have about two questions, has anyone any ideas on what else i could ask?

Any help would be great,

Thanks!
Reply 1
Nait
Hi!

I hope everyone is having fun with their investigations-

I am looking at language use in Personal ads and seeing if it differs between gender, i was just wondering has anyone any advice/tips and suggestions, or the various linguistic devices used in different ads- including any other areas of the framework.

I have collected my primary research (sample ads) and i am analysing them, just wanted to check what i may be missing in them!

Also, i am using a questionnaire as a method of research- i have about two questions, has anyone any ideas on what else i could ask?

Any help would be great,

Thanks!

Not sure about the questionaire- what qs have you got so far?

Hehe personal adds sounds like fun to look into. Sad but I am actually enjoying my investigation though I've only collected the data and had a few discussions with the teacher. Just got to start it but it does look like fun (oh dear! Obviously I need a life lol!).

Lexis, semantics, pragmatics maybe, grammar, maybe even graphology (do they get a choice about which words are in bold though?). It sounds like there's loads to say! :-) xxx
Reply 2
Hi, thanks for replying.

Yeah, there are most areas of the framework to cover, which is good!

With the questionnaire i have some samples of words in how people describe their body, for example cuddly, curvy- and see how an audience percieve these words.

Also i am planning to take segements of ads and ask the audience if they think a male or female wrote them.

Apart from that i am clueless, any more ideas/suggestions in what i could ask/explore?

Many thanks
Reply 3
Nait
Hi, thanks for replying.

Yeah, there are most areas of the framework to cover, which is good!

With the questionnaire i have some samples of words in how people describe their body, for example cuddly, curvy- and see how an audience percieve these words.

Also i am planning to take segements of ads and ask the audience if they think a male or female wrote them.

Apart from that i am clueless, any more ideas/suggestions in what i could ask/explore?

Many thanks

I think that's loads! lol! You could ask how they'd describe themselves I guess but you've got LOADS to say and don't want to run out of room! lol.

Good luck! hehe :-) I'm doing differences between males and females in language aquisition between 2 years 5 months and 6 years 2 months! I've got my transcripts and am researching language aquisition. I've got lexis, phonology (espec prossody), grammar and semantics as my main frame works, which is definately going to be enough :-) xxx

Latest

Trending

Trending