The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 1
hmm havnt thought about a kettle, hopefully therell be boiling water on tap.......anyone (chancellor, selborn)?
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
I was going to.. and a toaster. But then supposedly you end up with 12 kettles and toasters in ur kitchen.. SO i dunno...
I'm not very good at the whole asking people to borrow their things, I feel rude. So i may end up getting a cheap toaster etc
Reply 3
Kateykate
I was going to.. and a toaster. But then supposedly you end up with 12 kettles and toasters in ur kitchen.. SO i dunno...
I'm not very good at the whole asking people to borrow their things, I feel rude. So i may end up getting a cheap toaster etc

Yeah - lots of people will be bringing toasters and kettles. I feel the same way about borrowing things like that, so I bought a couple of el-cheapo appliances from Tesco. :smile:

I'm pretty sure all of my flatmates brought a toaster and kettle (and they were all 3rd year students). I ended up keeping my toaster in a box in my room all year, but I kept the kettle in my room. :smile: We used one toaster between everyone, but I didn't like the look of all the limescale on the kettle in the kitchen...
Reply 4
i supplied the toaster to a floor of 20ish last time, and never got it back, this year its someone elses job.
Reply 5
My mum has given me a really small kettle - i think we used it on holiday a few years ago. It can probably only boil 2 cups of water at a time so it's perfect for personal use.
I've been wondering about the toaster thing and i too would feel weird asking to use other people's. So i'll prob get a small cheap one soon.
Reply 6
I might be bringing a kettle just cos we have a brand new spare one lying round the house. and if i get there and already theres 5 in the kitchen i'l sned it home with my parents!
im not bringing a toaster cos i figured even if no one else has bought one then i can just use the grill (assuming we have one)
Reply 7
No sandwich toaster? Why?
It says on the list of things to bring to self catered halls to bring a toaster and kettle so i am going to bring one along and if its not needed leave it somewhere coz one is bound to get broken over the year!! Romero Halls xx
Reply 9
PQ
Because you wont use it for the first 2 months at uni. Then some time in early December (or just after Christmas) you'll think "oooh I fancy a cheese toasty". You'll dig out the sandwich toaster, plug it in and start sorting out bread/cheese etc. Then you'll realise you haven't got any butter, but you think "oh well - I'll use marg/spread instead". You'll then heat up the sandwich toaster and put in the bread/cheese. However the combination of the layers of dust it's gathered and the lack of any proper oil between the bread and the hot plates will mean that when you open the toaster up again once the cheese is melted the bread will stick to the hotplates.

...more ranting

PQ, this is a wild guess, but did someone u know bring a tostie maker to halls by any chance? lol :p: margarine, amature
Reply 10
I know I wouldn't mind someone else using my toaster and kettle so I'm hoping that others will be the same :smile: ignorant I know.

Think I'll just buy pans and stuff like that and hope someone else will let me use the toaster and kettle. Otherwise it's grilled bread and boiling pan water for me!
Reply 11
you will be very very unlucky if you end up somewhere where people dont share things...lol and so will i

Latest

Trending

Trending